TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

So, I think i'm going to burst my HWN cherry next year and finally take the trip (before I get too old).  I've never did a several day coaster event so I have no idea what to expect.  I've also never been to Holiday World so I really don't know what to expect.  Any tips, suggestions?

• Like 1

My tips are that you really don’t need two full days in the park if they’re running rides at full capacity, but they probably won’t be next year in time for the event given the vaccine schedule.

We went for the first time in 2019 and it was an incredible event, Friday and Saturday night ERT’s were insanely good with untrimmed Voyage having ~10 minute waits. But once we got there on Friday and rode everything in the park we realized quickly that we didn’t need 2 full days. 

In the future we’ll come in Friday night for some Voyage laps then enjoy the park on Saturday. Even as a 30 year old the untrimmed Voyage rides really take a lot of energy out of me... I haven’t slept so good in years as I did after those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I'm planning on making my first trip out to Holiday World this year as part of a larger trip. I'm not sure how much time to plan spending there. We are looking forward to enjoying both the park and Splashin' Safari. Do you need multiple days to enjoy both?

I don't believe the park is using the virtual queue this year.  For that reason, it's definitely possible to do both in one day.

I would recommend going on the water coasters at Splashin' Safari immediately after the water park opens.  If you knock those out early, you will avoid the longest waits.  In my experience, the water coasters always have longer lines than the roller coasters.  In most years, the coaster lines max out around 15-30 minutes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In some random park related news legendary professional wrestler/aspiring Rockstar Chris Jericho's band Fozzy just released a new music video that was filmed at Holiday world. Probably not a lot of professional wrestling fans here but the video is pretty cool 😆.

Shout out to Holiday World for letting them throw a guitar off of the lift hill of The Voyage lol.

• Like 1

I'd prefer a Robb Alvey commentary reverse POV vs. bad lip syncing.

Favorite Robb youtube quotes:

"My titties ar jiggling!!"    (Dodonpa)

"HOOOLY F**K!!"     (Chimera)

It's a bit ironic such a hardcore video was themed at one of the most family oriented parks in the US. Seriously though, thanks for the share.

• Haha 1

Heads up for anyone going to HoliWood Nights. The park announced earlier today in the HoliWood Nights group on Facebook that Thunderbird is having issues and will probably be down through the weekend. To help compensate they are going to allow attendees a return visit any day later this season, will be keeping other rides on ERT open longer, and if you didn't purchase the all day Friday ticket you can now enter the park at 3PM in stead of 4:30PM.

Sad news tonight with a unfortunate event on the Voyage. You can check HW's social (Holiwood nights group). Out of respect to the injured, Voyage is closed tonight. Sad news indeed. 

Update: Unfortunately, it appears the guest did not survive.

Had my first visit to the park last night. I now have a new definition of what wooden coasters are lol. I also got to experience 3 new water coasters!  I love water coasters. . .

20210604_201915.thumb.jpg.89803d759b5828e9233513e0d7125b15.jpg

20210604_203515.thumb.jpg.3f88d92588d80672bfaa9b1249612160.jpg

Sad to hear about the news on the Voyage yesterday. Cool music video by Fozzy on the ride though.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:45 AM, prozach626 said:

It's a bit ironic such a hardcore video was themed at one of the most family oriented parks in the US. 

It is but The Voyage is aggressive so the song and video fits the ride well. 

• Like 1

^ yeah.

must have been a heart attack from what I read.   Feel really sad for her family, but glad the park didn't shutter the ride, since the statement from the park was that it was operating as intended.

How sad; and traumatic for whomever was riding with her since it was most likely family or a friend; as well as for the park personnel. Sounds like the park made all the right decisions in shutting it down for the day after the event, out of respect for her as well as letting the employees go home and decompress, but then making the statement that it was unrelated to ride function and getting it going again the next day.

A definite down side to their location, as I believe the closest hospital is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 minutes away.

Here is the news story about her death. I was at the park last night for the event and Holiday World did everything they could. They opened extra rides to help makeup for the closed coaster. Top notch service.    https://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/holiday-world-guest-unresponsive-after-riding-roller-coaster/

Went to the park for the first time this weekend.  A "unique" little park build at the top of a hill.  I had plenty of questions as I navigated the park but I can honestly say I have now ridden real wooden coasters lol.  I was not prepared.  Can't wait to go back and I will bring my hiking shoes this time!

• Like 1

The selection/number of rides may be relatively little (outside the water park), but the plot of land the park sits on certainly is not! Feels like hiking a mile getting to Voyage, or even Thunderbird. Well worth the trip though, as the vistas around the park are quite farmland scenic!

I was so saddened to hear of the incident and learn much later of their passing. I can't even begin to fathom how it must've been for the family visiting the park that day, let alone for the operators running the ride then. It was a good call for the park to  have closed the coaster that night right after. I wish them everyone involved much strength and healing from this tragedy.

For the event, I managed one ride on Voyage. Understandably a roughly 55 minute wait during Saturday's ERT, with every switchback inside and outside the line full + some spilling past the entrance, and the park needing to close the line early so everyone got through before the night got too late.

All three woodies were running great, especially Raven with the track work done on the turn over the lake! The one ride on Voyage at night was stellar as always, added in with parts of both Voyage and Raven being pitch black through the forest!

Lastly, I have to point out how incredibly generous it was for Holiday World to have offered all attendees a free return visit this season with their Saturday ticket solely because of Thunderbird's closure, which was mentioned in the Facebook group earlier in the week before the event began. That, alone, I find goes above and beyond with their customer service and is another reason why I love the park so much.

• Like 1

So.... why haven't I heard a peep about cheetah chase since it opened? This ride is hilarious. It is absolutely unbelievable how much water gets poured / shot over you at the top of the hills (imagine those giant buckets on those play areas but falling on you during a water coaster. Absolutely bonkers.) Love it. Just wish they weren't so restrictive on the # of people and weight of the boats, luckily had some friends and we're able to even ourselves out and ride, but with myself and my wife we couldn't get the green light. I love how all 3 water coasters were vastly different. Mammoth in the dark was insane.

With the popularity of Holiwood Nights I would guess ERT waits to be comparable or longer to regular season days. Since the park doesn't have any skip the line features, the only REALLY advantages to the event are hanging out with other enthusiasts, getting more night rides in, and taking in the theming of the event. ERT isn't really ERT anymore, lol. I can't believe how many people were there, but not having the Voyage the first night also hurt lines the second day. Completely understandable though. Very sadb what happened. I only got one ride on Voyage but the line for Legend and Raven was relatively short. My sides can't take the legend like it used to. The is still one little part near the end of Raven that gives a good jolt to the head but I still think the ride is absolutely awesome and I love that one hill in the middle of the ride as it launches you out of your seat in the back 

Good times! I need new feet, man that park is rough on the body lol. I don't know if I would have been able to make the walk back to Thunderbird.