TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Look at any post on Holiday World's Facebook page and the comment sections are just an all out war zone of people who claim the park should be a safe space for anti-maskers because freedum.

I guess I won't be getting my Voyage laps this year, and that really makes me sad.

Yeah, it is not the place to go if you are uncomfortable with people not wearing masks. Although I will say the employees were making an attempt to enforce it in ride stations and such. It usually doesn't bother me if I can keep my distance but when everyone crammed into the CC station I was pretty uneasy about the situation.

One very cute and funny thing I forgot to mention. Whenever they made the announcement reminding people about masks and social distancing they played the chorus from "Don't Stand so Close to Me" by the Police. Gotta appreciate anyone trying to keep some sense of humor.

I was there yesterday for the first time since masks being required. Much more people wearing them, but of course there’s still those who choose to see how much they can get away with. The adults working there have no problem enforcing the policies. The 14-18 year old range that work there are a mixed bag. Unfortunately they’re in the awkward position of trying to make adults much older than them wear masks and socially distance. Some of them try and some of them shy away afraid they’re gonna yelled at or just don’t care.

I do wanna give HW kudos to how they’ve handled and treated their season pass holders this year. While most parks made the simple decision to either extend this years season passes for a month or 2 next year or for the whole season next year, they gave us the option to either roll it over to next year if you didn’t use it or they added a ton of extra perks if you did use it. I was able to get 2 bring a friend days which at full value is $108. We also had 6 bring a friend days for $25 which is $174 saved off general admission if you used them. They gave us $40 to spend in the park on anything we wanted. They also gave us 25% off food and 10% off merchandise. If you used your pass this year you can renew it for $75 dollars through the last operating day. I paid $164 for my platinum pass last August and so far not counting the discounts, HW is essentially in hole $60 on me so far. But they’ve also had me in the park, spending money, which is smart financially. Money that may not have been spent if they just told us our passes were good this year and next year as I probably would have only visited once or twice this year if that was a option.

9E1E65BE-3A16-4C23-97DA-BBB4E54363E9.thumb.jpeg.0baddffe29af88ffd9d4ea357e280fcf.jpeg

They put a mask on her lol

I have been reading quite a few negative reviews about this park elsewhere. Lots of complaints about the ride reservation system, and over crowding no social distancing, especially at the water park.A bit concerened since I am planning a visit there on a Sunday in a week or so.

On my visit, physical distancing was definitely an issue, but I actually quite liked the reservation system. My visit was on a Friday, and it was definitely busy. Not sure how bad the park is on a Sunday.

Most of the time thanks to the virtual queue I barely stood in line making distancing mostly feasible, though this was not help at the waterpark unfortunately, since as of my visit (a couple weeks ago) no water rides were on the virtual queue.

If it weren't for the virtual queue I would not visit the park, that virtual queue is the main reason distancing is possible.

We were there about two weeks ago and I agree with JG-77. The virtual queue was truly very easy to use and allowed you to spend very little time in the lines. If you can work a smartphone you can do the virtual lines.

Waterpark definitely a different issue and there were times in the lines when social distancing was not always adhered to, however I found this to mostly be kids and one mean teacher starte normally backed them off. The only time I was truly uncomfortable was during a rainstorm closure while waiting for Cheetah Chase when a lot of people tried to huddle under the station canopy. However, it was our choice whether to leave or stay of course. And if you want to ride Mammoth you have to have a minimum of 500 lbs in your party, which means unless you have at least 3-4 in your group you will have to buddy up with strangers or pass.

I should add that we tended to wear our masks in the ride lines/stations and then just take them off once the ride was underway and while not everyone was doing that we experienced no mask shaming and everyone was very good about wearing masks during the crowded entry process, inside, and when we were all crowded up for rope drop.

No masks on the open air roller coasters? Murderer.

And if you want to ride Mammoth you have to have a minimum of 500 lbs in your party, which means unless you have at least 3-4 in your group you will have to buddy up with strangers or pass.

Although, since it's Indiana, some guests may be able to pull it off with two riders.

I should add that we tended to wear our masks in the ride lines/stations and then just take them off once the ride was underway and while not everyone was doing that we experienced no mask shaming and everyone was very good about wearing masks during the crowded entry process, inside, and when we were all crowded up for rope drop.

Is your name Mandy that I met on TTD at CP today? She had the same philosophy.

And if you want to ride Mammoth you have to have a minimum of 500 lbs in your party, which means unless you have at least 3-4 in your group you will have to buddy up with strangers or pass.

Interesting, a few years ago (back when Valrvn opened) it was less then that. We rode it as two (I weigh about 150 and while I can't speak for the other person, he was less then 300) and it was a wild ride.

I guess I should have clarified that you are allowed to take them off on the rides at HW, we kept them on during rides at KI and CP where it was required HW asked people to wear them where it was crowded but tended to not force the issue. About 50% complied with ride stations and lines. Everyone did have them on during the entry process however so they could get in, once in the park left a lot of wiggle room on whether or not you had to have them on.

Well the sign at Mammoth's ride entrance definitely said 500 lbs and when we started to walk away knowing we weren't even close it was the employee that nodded toward another party of two in the same predicament which we proceeded to buddy up with. Wasn't too worried since 4 people in a Mammoth raft still gives you quite a bit of room to spread out. I'm guessing there must have been a few rides that were much too wild and it made them raise the weight limit.

I just went this past Sunday for the 1st time this year. I actually felt way safer than at Walmart (where I work). We wore masks to get in the park, inside buildings. We also put them on when we had a 20 minute downpour the hour before it closed for the night (was at the game stations across from Firecracker). It wasn't crowded which I was pleased about. It made wait times very short and I loved the Inline System! I hope they keep the concept. Although Voyage had a wait for 45 minutes and to only see 3 people on 1 train was strange because I'm used to full trains. Wish I could be at Holiwood Nights but we will make it there sometime!

No complaints about anything, employees were friendly and polite as ever. I noticed the whole cleanest park in the world means a lot more now than ever.

Can't wait for 2021!

^Right, that’s my biggest issue with the virtual queue. People don’t cancel their reservations which leads to mostly empty trains being sent out while the app still lists a 30+ minute wait.

While we overall liked the advantages of the virtual queue; we did notice this as well. Sat outside the entrance for Raven for about 15 minutes waiting for our window to open and watched several trains go that were nearly empty. Perhaps, just a little training for the ride ops to know when to allow people to enter the line early if the line has become a walk on? Hopefully, they can work out the kinks in the system.

• 3 weeks later...

So uh... this years' Holiwood Nights turned out to be a most attended ever, with reportedly between 900 and 1,000 people. It was nuts! Holiday World did a snap up job with operations, especially considering. It is impressive to see them constantly show up and knock it out of the park, even when things go horribly wrong.

The coasters were running outstanding; each smoother than usual but still a couple quick/minor pot hole/kickers. I don't think I'll go to any more events during this pandemic (so that may mean a nix on my Knoebels PPP trip next month), but if I did it again, it would be at Holiday World. They always impress!

So uh... this years' Holiwood Nights turned out to be a most attended ever, with reportedly between 900 and 1,000 people. It was nuts! Holiday World did a snap up job with operations, especially considering. It is impressive to see them constantly show up and knock it out of the park, even when things go horribly wrong.

I KNEW there was something fishy with the amount of people there. I wasn't sure if it was because of new precautions reducing capacity on the rides or if there really was more people at the event. An hour wait for Voyage during ERT was SUPER suspect. I figured there would still be a decent turnout, but I didn't expect what they got.

Nonetheless, even with the larger crowd, HW still managed to produce a fantastic event this year. I'd still say I had a faaar better time during exclusive event times than I did when the park was actually open to all guests, because Saturday was pretty packed too. I still hold the event up as my #1 favorite.

• 2 months later...

Many have seen our theme for HoliWood Nights 2021: The Wizard of Ahhh...hs. But did you know we're doing some major work on one of our wooden coasters in 2021? It's more than 500 feet of eight layers and more than 100 feet of the top two layers.  I'll give you three guesses. 😉

20201104_154018.jpg

• Like 1