TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I’m sure they had some type of new ride planned, but it’s probably been pushed back a year or two now. HW is a very financially well ran park. My guess would be that the capital investment budget for 2021 was mostly set prior to COVID-19, but they’ve probably now allocated that money to purchasing the virtual queuing system and having that money to fall back on for this year if they operate at a loss this season (which is very likely they will). Honestly, if things return to normal next season, I think it might be smart of them to take this virtual queuing system and turn it into a upgrade to act as a fast pass reservation system. Doing this they don’t have to create a new queue for fast passes and can just use the rides exits. The more I think about it, I think that’s their big investment. Expanding their virtual queuing system (to cover the waterpark too) and monetizing it. They’ve gotta recoup and make up for their losses somewhere.

I do too, but the majority of people who go to HW don’t really care for it from what I can tell outside of enthusiasts and the season pass holders who frequent the park and understand how it works. If they advertise it as a skip the line or fast pass option, people will be more receptive of it IMO.

I thought the virtual queue was good. Takes awhile to fine tune that type of thing but it seemed to work pretty well. On a hot day I went to the car and took a nap while waiting for the Voyage. Seems better than standing in line.

I could see offering a premium option where it cuts the times by some % being very easy to implement (and probably already in the software).

Question for Holiday World regulars: is Thunderbird considered a 'reliable' coaster?

I'm curious because we're seeing that B&M working on (allegedly) a launched coaster with the Surf Coaster and I'm wondering if there one existing in house launch (versus Hulk) is considered to be reliable versus some other manufacturers launch systems which seem to experience more down time.

In the visits I've done, I say absolutely. I don't think I've ever been to Holiday World (whether on my own or during an event) where I've ever seen it down for extended periods of time, if ever at all. I've seen it not perform properly due to outside factors (cold morning causes 1 launch rollback but fine for rest of day, huge downpour stops ops for a bit), but when ready to go it's back up in almost no time.

Thunderbird appears to be super reliable, which is quite the testament to B&M's decision to wait on launches until they could do it reliably.

On another topic, if anyone that had previously bought tickets to HoliWood Nights for this year but now can't attend due to the park's disappointing stance on virus protections Angie from the group ticketing department at Holiday World was *extremely* nice and helpful to me yesterday and immediately gave us a refund for our tickets and related fees... the park was originally hoping that we'd accept 3 tickets for another day in exchange. She can be reached at 800-467-2682 and told me to feel free to share the contact info.

Went to holiday world briefly today. Arrived 30 min after park opening to an absolutely massive crowd outside the gate (I guess bc today was a weekend). I bet it was easily over a thousand people all lined up waiting to get in. That said the line moved quickly and took about 30 minutes. There was no Health screenings or covid forms to fill out, which I thought was odd. Only went through a metal detector and that was it. Virtual queuing system was def nice, got to look around in the shops while waiting. love the made to thrill designed swag, but I can't stomach paying 30 bucks for a t-shirt. Got a ride in voyage, which I had never ridden before, which was excellent. LONG ride!

Regarding covid.... I'd estimate less than 5% of people wearing masks. No one was really doing any social distancing either. This personally doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would really turn a lot of people away. That said, it was great to see many many people out and about supporting the local theme park and trying to get back to normal. It was very very hot, I suspect most people came for the water park

For what it's worth, Kentucky has had a mask mandate too and KK is only enforcing masks when at the park entrance gate, at indoor facilities and waiting in line for concessions. I won't be surprised seeing HW do something similar.

I know the reasons why they didn’t mandate masks at the park. Those are they weren’t required required by the state at the time, the majority of their patrons are stubborn/kinda ignorant ( I’ll show you what I mean later) and they don’t have the staffing numbers to actually enforce it. With that said, it would have been easier to take the precaution even tho it wasn’t required by the state and enforce it from the beginning of the season instead of waiting until it was mandated and having to change your policies and signage in the park again.

I always where mine in the dry park and I’m looking into finding one to wear in the waterpark.

These are some screenshots of the season pass holder group I’m in. These are just ones from today. HW usually deletes the really bad posts or comments before I even think about screenshoting it. Last week someone posted in the group asking if they could start a petition to get the employees out of wearing a mask because it’s too hot outside.

46538037-E156-4033-8031-08F6AD55C862.thumb.jpeg.6c365049b6112af60327d81683071945.jpeg

BF49BBF5-265A-4D5B-A5A8-736D37458480.thumb.jpeg.12725039d8620310528777bb507f1fef.jpeg

C9EBE69B-1135-42A6-9E58-8BD353F0BA05.thumb.jpeg.fc2f44c41fea5b1ff20b980248de1e13.jpeg

CFCF4E1D-99BE-4E52-A4AD-2C961710ADCE.thumb.jpeg.3bfc1ea7fd9ece7a5c06dd5474161201.jpeg

"I have asthma and allergies with congestion..."

Honestly, mask comfort should probably be one of the least of their concerns at that point... I can't fathom being so susceptible to asthma flares and still going out to an amusement park at this time at all.

With the new mask mandate, my friend (from California) and I are second thinking about going to Holiwood Nights. I understand the mask mandate - and agree on rides and in small spaces. Personally, I'd rather not wear a mask at a park all day on midways and stuff, so I may not go.

It's an adult decision and it will stink if I don't go, but following the rules and respecting others is more important.

Crazy thought - I can race down to the park to get my ya-ya's out before the mandate goes in effect on Monday. I might just settle for Little A-merrick-A, which is much closer, but it's a tough choice! Ahhh... high class issues. I'll live through it.

How can you hate a water coaster? Especially at Holiday World?

Find a new husband?

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I'd say heights. I struggled getting him on Frightful Falls. I was impressed he went up the Eiffel Tower at Kings Island but I couldn't get him to walk over to look down.

On the other hand, I told my friends we're going next summer so they can ride them with me. Wildebeest has been my #1 ride since it opened.

My husband also has a heights issue, but doesn't usually have a problem with water slides. We did get him to go down summit plummet at Blizzard Beach but he had to rest in the shade with multiple adult beverages to recover

He isn't a huge theme park guy but has ridden quite a few coasters even though there is a lot of "AAAAHHHHH" at the top of lift hills. God's little joke, I love coasters but have to work around motion sickness and he is lukewarm but never gets sick....just has to conquer his own fear. We did both ride one flying coaster, Superman at SFGAdv, don't know if either of us ever will again. He completely freaked out looking straight down at the top of the lift and I got sick despite having a patch on. He absolutely puts his foot down with the B&M clamshell restraint. No way will he go with the "whole side open" as he puts it, lol.

Oh, gotcha, so he actually has not been on one yet. Makes more sense that way to have that opinion. I guess you can keep him.

I got him on Wildebeest the year it opened. He acted like he enjoyed it but he says he didn't like the "airtime" feeling. It's been awhile since I rode them but are the straps anywhere behind us or are they in front? I have gotten an all clear to ride but my right shoulder doesn't move like it used to anymore.

My husband also has a heights issue, but doesn't usually have a problem with water slides. We did get him to go down summit plummet at Blizzard Beach but he had to rest in the shade with multiple adult beverages to recover

He isn't a huge theme park guy but has ridden quite a few coasters even though there is a lot of "AAAAHHHHH" at the top of lift hills. God's little joke, I love coasters but have to work around motion sickness and he is lukewarm but never gets sick....just has to conquer his own fear. We did both ride one flying coaster, Superman at SFGAdv, don't know if either of us ever will again. He completely freaked out looking straight down at the top of the lift and I got sick despite having a patch on. He absolutely puts his foot down with the B&M clamshell restraint. No way will he go with the "whole side open" as he puts it, lol.

My hubby hasn't ridden a roller coaster ever I don't believe. Raven was 1st one i ever rode.

Those Orion and Diamondback restraints freak me out too much to ride them. I know I'm safe but just can't do those.

We were there on Mon 7/27. Masks now required during entry, inside shops and restaurants. Most people were doing it. However it was pretty much do what you want at the water park. Only place there masks were required was bathroom/changing rooms. In fact during a rain storm everyone rushed under the canopy of the station for Cheetah Chase to get out of the rain; even though they were at a water park and in swim suits. Seriously.

They did have social distancing markers pretty much everywhere to various degrees of success. Really just a matter of you decided to obey or not. The ride ops were policing this best they could in line. One genius tried to use his shirt pulled up over his face as a mask. Again. Seriously?

All the coasters were running and I saw no shutdowns. Cheetah chase is awesome! No single rider lines for any ride but pretty low crowds. Keep in mind it was a Monday with storms predicted.

The virtual queueing worked really well, I hope they keep it. Was super easy to use and if you can't figure it out, there are plenty of teenagers about to help you.

Thanks Kim. We were thinking of going but guest behavior is pretty much putting a stop to that. I have local 'friends' who are cheering it as the park to go to 'where you don't have to wear a mask.' If they're stepping up enforcement I might reconsider.