TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Other than Boss and Cyclone depending on which one you're referring to I've been on all of those and found them all to be smoother and better than Raven (though I did ride Villain in it's early years).

I'm honestly struggling to think of wood coasters that I like less than Raven. Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Blue Streak at Conneaut.... maybe a few others but I'm drawing a blank, I don't even know. It was pure crap when we rode it a few years ago.

Edited by coasterbill

I only had one ride on Raven and Legend but you would have had to pay me to ride either of them again.

Raven can't be that bad now. Sure it's been over 10 years since I last rode it, but it was one of the best coasters I've been on.

This is a hilarious reply coming from someone behind a site called 'Your Favorite Coaster Sucks'

Other than Boss and Cyclone depending on which one you're referring to I've been on all of those and found them all to be smoother and better than Raven (though I did ride Villain in it's early years).

Third car front seat. Hips back lean forward. After a few beers that tactic it's awesome. Cap it off with night rides on Screamin Eagle and a dark AF ride on B:TR. If you come back I'll even buy you a delicious Bud Light!

Driving home the other day... I forgot we had this street here. Made me miss Holiday World! I oddly didn't make it to the park this year. Even thought I'm headed to Knoebels in 2 days... a year just doesn't feel right w/o HW. Love Raven, but Legend is still my favorite

IMG-5831.JPG.fb721c5ca6e180ff0a6f65dde44fba78.JPG

^ OMG, that is a real site. And a podcast!

Sure is, thanks for the support!

I only had one ride on Raven and Legend but you would have had to pay me to ride either of them again.

Raven can't be that bad now. Sure it's been over 10 years since I last rode it, but it was one of the best coasters I've been on.

This is a hilarious reply coming from someone behind a site called 'Your Favorite Coaster Sucks'

To be fair (to be faiiiiiiir)…most do.

Also, big ups Chicago. I’m in the 312 also

I'm honestly struggling to think of wood coasters that I like less than Raven. Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Blue Streak at Conneaut.... maybe a few others but I'm drawing a blank, I don't even know. It was pure crap when we rode it a few years ago.

Dang you must’ve lucked out, all of those were absolutely violent and nasty when I rode them. Well I guess I’m really due to a return to Holiday World now, and not just for the T-Bird credit. Disappointing if they’ve really let it get that bad, because it was soooooooo good when I first rode it and subsequently in 06 and 08.

Third car front seat. Hips back lean forward. After a few beers that tactic it's awesome. Cap it off with night rides on Screamin Eagle and a dark AF ride on B:TR. If you come back I'll even buy you a delicious Bud Light!

Doesn’t seem worth the try for the beer

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how long it will be until HW puts in a new coaster. I know there was quite the gap between Voyage and Thunderbird, but I'm not sure if that is something one could really go off of with this incredibly unique park.

I almost consider myself a regular to Holiday World, but I made my second (third?) visit of the year just this past Saturday, as per my average 2-3 visits per year. I consider the coasters to have their... good and bad months. Legend had some jackhammering in some spots and Raven was running fine, but seemed like one spot near the end will probably need some attention for similar, but lesser jackhammering.

With Voyage alone not operating, there definitely felt like a huge chunk of the park's thrills was missing, but I do think the other two woodies still hold their own in terms of that out-of-control thrill folks seek. Can't wait for the refurbished Voyage for next year, and huge props to the park for the upkeep on the monster of a coaster!

Honorable mention to Gobbler's Getaway as being awesome.

A++ for still maintaining fully functioning "turkey callers" and targets, like they should be.

• 4 weeks later...

I normally go to Holiday World at least once or twice every year. I just happened to realize their park schedule is more like a water park schedule than a regular theme park schedule. Part of me thinks since they are in Santa Claus, IN they should really have a full blown big Christmas festival to cover November and December like Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. I wonder if they have looked into it and found it not feasible. Just curious if anyone had any info. I have to admit Splashing Safari is so awesome I bet it is the biggest draw of the two parks.

Although you could overcome it, one thing that comes to mind is that the park is incredibly hilly. Of course it goes without saying that ice and snow on pavement is generally not a good thing with a hilly terrain such as Holiday World. Also, HW only has so many locals who visit. I don't think you're going to bring people in from far away for that kind of event. Before anyone starts to argue that last point; Holiday World is not Dollywood or Silver Dollar City, and it's not in a tourist destination area.

Although you could overcome it, one thing that comes to mind is that the park is incredibly hilly. Of course it goes without saying that ice and snow on pavement is generally not a good thing with a hilly terrain such as Holiday World. Also, HW only has so many locals who visit. I don't think you're going to bring people in from far away for that kind of event. Before anyone starts to argue that last point; Holiday World is not Dollywood or Silver Dollar City, and it's not in a tourist destination area.

I was thinking the reason was it is not in a tourist area so that makes sense. But boy if it was I can imagine the Christmas festival it would have being in a town named Santa Claus lol

HoliWood Nights 2020

HoliWood Nights 2020 is on May 29 and May 30. If it's the same as past years, Friday will start with ERT at the water park and then the park has all the coasters open until 11. On Saturday, the park will have all the coasters open until midnight. All of Holiday World's coasters are great at night thanks to their setting, but the star is Voyage since it runs trimless.

During the day on Saturday, there will also be photo walkbacks for the coasters. The park also keeps you well fed with a dinner on Saturday and lots of snacks.

It's an awesome event and I can't recommend it enough! I met a lot of cool people last year.

It's also a mostly-afternoon/evening event too. The second day admits you to the park for the whole day from park opening until midnight, but the event stuff doesn't begin until the afternoon, in case you just want time to take in the park at your leisure or just sleep-in (which is something I really appreciate, compared to other events I've done going from early a.m. until late in the evening each day).

Two nights each of three solid hours of endless ERT on 4 roller coasters will never feel like it's not enough, and experiencing the insanity of Voyage at night needs to be on every coaster junkie's bucket list to try.