TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ Thanks so much - we're really glad you enjoyed your first visit! Here's hoping there are plenty more in your future!

Thank YOU for an awesome day! It was a nice change from the theme park I'm used to (Silver Dollar City). My father enjoyed it a lot, too. He isn't much of a rider and he actually rode Raven, Voyage, and Thunderbird! I thought I was going to be lucky if I even got him on the Raven.

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at holiday world for most of the day on Saturday the 12th, but probably won't be there at opening. We've been to holiday world a few times in the last 2 years so we know the park fairly well and this stop in will really just be for the amusement park.

We are curious about the crowds we will encounter that day and any tips you have about plan of attack or about the park in general.

Thank you so much in advance

^ If the weather is decent, I would say that it's a safe bet that any park within our solar system is going to be busy on a Saturday during the summer.

Although if it's a gazillion degrees (like it seems to be during the summer in Indiana), the ride part of the park will likely not be anywhere near as crowded as Splashin' Safari. So if you're not into water parks, you might be able to knock out the dry side within a few hours. If you're going to the water park on a Saturday and it's very hot, I wish you luck!

^ If the weather is decent, I would say that it's a safe bet that any park within our solar system is going to be busy on a Saturday during the summer.

Although if it's a gazillion degrees (like it seems to be during the summer in Indiana), the ride part of the park will likely not be anywhere near as crowded as Splashin' Safari. So if you're not into water parks, you might be able to knock out the dry side within a few hours. If you're going to the water park on a Saturday and it's very hot, I wish you luck!

Lol yeah we expect it to be pretty crowded but want to hear what some regulars have to say.

We are staying far away from the water park for that very reason. We've done the water park many times so we aren't really missing anything. We love the water park but the crowds there will I'm sure be unbearable

^ yeahhhhhh about that... Voyage filled up all of its basement queues in the morning, making for an hour wait this past Saturday. The line did go down later on, but I'm pretty sure it still stayed down in the basement all day. It'll be absolutely slammed most likely. However, the park will most likely have a bit more staff to keep the lines moving, as we did this weekend (at Voyage at least). It shouldn't ever really end up feeling like you just flat out aren't moving because of this, hopefully. If you aren't doing the waterpark, you should still have plenty of time to get around to everything still.

Yeah Saturdays at HW are just a bad idea in general during July/August. Its going packed every where. It doesn't matter if you do the waterpark or not. The year Thunderbird opened, I remember seeing pics of cars parking on the side of the highway because they apparently ran out of parking space. Coming in on a two-lane highway, traffic can get pretty backed up as well.

Yeah Saturdays at HW are just a bad idea in general during July/August. Its going packed every where. It doesn't matter if you do the waterpark or not. The year Thunderbird opened, I remember seeing pics of cars parking on the side of the highway because they apparently ran out of parking space. Coming in on a two-lane highway, traffic can get pretty backed up as well.

I avoid any park on the weekends for that same reason, I always try to do parks on a Tuesday or Wednesday as these always seems like the least busiest days.

I avoid any park on the weekends for that same reason, I always try to do parks on a Tuesday or Wednesday as these always seems like the least busiest days.

I tend to try to go during the week, too. But I've always found that Sunday mornings are usually pretty dead, too due to the fact that lots of people go to church. At least that's the fact down here in Southwest, Missouri with SDC. Although then again, that park almost never gets a huge crowd. I've only seen lots of people there during Spring Break and the Christmas season.

But with work sometimes weekends are the only option. I like to go to parks on days with rain in the forecast since it keeps people away. I had a dead Sunday a few months back at Holiday World and Splashin' Safari and it was glorious.

• 2 weeks later...

While I haven't been to Holiday World on a Saturday in August, we recently went earlier this month and it was so hot and humid that day plus very busy. I hadn't been there when it's been that busy. The water park was packed like sardines since it was so hot. The longest lines was for the water coasters, Raging Rapids and Thunderbird.

• 2 weeks later...
Any speculation as to what could be coming for 2018?

I know they are vouching to the state of Indiana for starting public school later next year. Indianapolis schools went back July 31st and most public southern Indiana schools went back August 9th. That restricts HW's operating schedule to only weekends for 2017 from this point on.

I know they are vouching to the state of Indiana for starting public school later next year. Indianapolis schools went back July 31st and most public southern Indiana schools went back August 9th. That restricts HW's operating schedule to only weekends for 2017 from this point on.

JULY 31st! Seriously???

JULY 31st! Seriously???

Some of the schools in the Atlanta area (causing SFOG to go to weekend only operation) and Savannah area (where my niece and nephews go to school) went back on July 31st.

^ Probably going to be another year of a smaller ride and more infrastructure improvements. With the amount of infrastructure improvements they've been making, it seems like they're gearing up for another expansion in 2019 or 2020.

I hope they get maybe like a Zamperla Hawk and put it in between Firecracker and Hollidog's Funtown where the basketball game is. Maybe they could move that game to the Halloween section.

All these early school start times are appalling! My kids started on Monday. Good thing I have no issues pulling them out to do day adventures. (As long as they keep their straight Asian F and above average.)

Alana's step father is a Physician. Not only is he a way cool dude and a big believer in no perfect attendance, but he left us a stack of letterhead to print notes on. So my kids have an extra 12 days per year of days off.

On a side note, Sumner county is allowing all kids out for the eclipse. We are right in the path. Can't wait! It's gonna be awesome!

Now back to our regularly scheduled Holiday World discussion.