TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Their photo policy seems to me to be about keeping someone from doing something like taking pictures of girls in bathing suits at the water park. I have a hard time believing that it would be an issue to photograph a tree or a ride where no one can be identified.

Okay, thanks for the info. I definitely did not plan on taking it into the water park Also, the subjects in my photos are not people. It's normally just a close up on some twisted track or nerd shots etc. The only park's I've had problems at were Lakeside in Denver, SFOT, and Worlds of Fun, but other park's I've been to and asked before hand encouraged it.

You may not bring it on the rides. That's the only rule.

And good move planning multiple days here. This is a fantastic park. A lot of enthusiasts see 4 coasters and think it'll be quick, but the park is so much more than that. All 4 are world class and you'll run out of time before you want to stop riding, no matter how much time you've planned. There's a huge selection of great flats, and they tend to run long cycles too. Add to that the single greatest waterpark I have ever been to, and it's hard to get enough of this place. Have fun!

I planned a long time there for the exact reason you stated. I like to experience the whole park, not just ride the coasters and leave. I learned that lesson from visiting Lagoon last Saturday. The park was packed, but I absolutely fell in love with it and wish I had more time to experience the whole park.

I do have a few other questions about this park I forgot to mention earlier. What's the best way to hit the park? Are there any rides that I'd want to do earlier or later in the day so I don't wait longer than I need to? Are there bins or places to put your stuff in ride stations or would we have to buy a locker? Are there any "hidden gem" attractions that I just can't miss? I'm really looking forward to my visit and all the info is helpful, thanks!

So after a hefty two afternoons marathoning roller coasters at the park and my right foot gaining an awful blister (which is 100% my fault ), I still gotta hand it to Holiday World for putting on yet another fantastic Holiwood Nights event. Those nighttime marathons on Thunderbird reinforced my love for the coaster and why it's in my top 10! Voyage was insane, as always, and provides plenty memorable trips through its course.

Also, Firecracker is a wonderful family ride! it has quite a lengthy ride cycle and some not-too hard lateral forces. Word floated around that the ride was sped up a little during nighttime ERT on it, and it definitely felt like it! So, many thanks for that as well!

2S8A1924(Edited)(2)-2.thumb.jpg.54ebce31dc01b1244592658371701179.jpg

2S8A1931(Edited)(2).thumb.jpg.3c83267489b4df26e00c32770bbbdaf0.jpg

Call me crazy but Raven at night is still my favorite ride in the park. (It used to be Voyage when it first opened, but damn, I'm getting old -- it's pure insanity but not something I enjoy as much any more.) At one point I stayed in a Raven train for 9 rides in a row, and with all the fireflies along the track in the woods it made for an awesome experience.

During the event they did a water cup challenge on The Legend at night. lol... so so so much fun I was laughing the entire ride and it was MUCH more difficult than I had ever imagined. Good times.

Definitely a solid event and ALL of the staff both during the day and the event were phenomenal as always. Thank you! I'll have a video soon.

I do have a few other questions about this park I forgot to mention earlier. What's the best way to hit the park? Are there any rides that I'd want to do earlier or later in the day so I don't wait longer than I need to? Are there bins or places to put your stuff in ride stations or would we have to buy a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? Are there any "hidden gem" attractions that I just can't miss? I'm really looking forward to my visit and all the info is helpful, thanks!

Go to the waterpark at opening and go all the way to the back for Mammoth and Wildebeest. Then in the afternoon when it gets really hot, leave the waterpark and go ride the coasters. This is the opposite of most people's pattern, which is exactly why it works. There are bins in every ride station, including--and I am not making this up--the rapids ride and the log flume. Plus, the ride ops will take your stuff and put it in a bin for you. No need to cross the car and put it away yourself, and in fact, they don't want you to. Just hop in, sit down, hand your stuff off, and get your seat belt and restraints on. Just take note of where they put it, because you do have to get it yourself when you get off.

There are so many hidden gems in this park, all kinds of great scenery, and puns are everywhere. I'm convinced that Indiana has a law requiring a certain pun ratio. Every place in Indiana seems to have a pun of some sort. And that segues nicely to the best places to eat. The waterpark's best restaurant is Wildebeestro, which is of course near Wildebeest. They serve burgers, fries, salads, and such all cafeteria style, with burger/fries combos around $12. These are awesome ones too; I got a Bleu Beer burger the other day, with bleu cheese, beer cheese, and BBQ sauce. The Plymouth Rock Cafe is my favourite in the dry park, and it serves Thanksgiving dinner staples like turkey, sweet potato casserole, chicken and dumplings, cornbread, etc. Runs $10-15 for a meal, depending on what you get (it's cafeteria style). Holiday World's food is really great, and I don't think you really can go wrong, but those are my go-to places, and we ate at both this weekend. And of course don't forget free unlimited soft drinks, so you only pay for the food.

The Plymouth Rock Cafe is my favourite in the dry park, and it serves Thanksgiving dinner staples like turkey, sweet potato casserole, chicken and dumplings, cornbread, etc. Runs $10-15 for a meal, depending on what you get (it's cafeteria style). Holiday World's food is really great, and I don't think you really can go wrong, but those are my go-to places, and we ate at both this weekend. And of course don't forget free unlimited soft drinks, so you only pay for the food.

Plymouth Rock Cafe is my favorite. Got a TON of (delicious!) food and well worth the price.

bac1908651a472b88e383371de115bd7.jpg

Finished up my new video from Holiwood Nights. I didn't do the Thunderbird/Voyage walk back this year (I opted to take a nap instead, lol) but I used some old footage combined with some new footage of the Raven/Legend walk back.

Here is the link:

I had an interesting experience at HoliWood Nights. On Saturday I left my admission ticket in the motel by mistake. When I talked to guest relations, they had me fill out a Forgotten Ticket Form and told me that I needed to mail them the ticket within 2 weeks to avoid being charged. I'm not criticizing their policy or complaining; I just found it interesting. Any idea why they needed to actual ticket? HoliWood Nights was awesome as usual.

Hello everyone! We will be visiting Holiday World in July. Any thoughts on crowd sizes for a Friday, Sunday or Monday? I want to make sure we have enough time with waits to work in all of the attractions.

Not being a destination park, it's reasonable on weekdays but slammed on weekends. Despite crowds, my strategy is always the same. Arrive at 9:30am. Carry or wear your swim attire underneath. Be first in at 10am. Ride Raven, the walk down to ride Legend. Head into waterpark to change and line up at rope drop for 11am. Go do the two water coasters first, re- ride Wildebeest. Work my way around the waterpark until lines become too long. Change, have Turkey dinner. Ride Voyage front and back, then Thunderbird. On the way up the hill and out, ride Raven and Legend at night.

Second day, still arrive at opening and do whatever the Wife wants (usually lazy river), mission was accomplished yesterday.

Edited by ArgoZ

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Great info in this video about why they ditched the Timberliners on the Voyage. As it turns out (according to what these guys found out), the lighter weight of the Timberliners led them to run much slower than the PTCS thus taking a lot of intensity and airtime out of the ride. That makes a lot of sense, and apparently Holiday World didn't want to sacrifice those aspects of what the coaster came to be known for.

I went to Holiwood Nights for the first time ever this year and it was fantastic! If you've never gone, I highly recommend it. I filmed this off-ride video of Voyage while I was there both around the park and on the backstage tour. The backstage tour didn't go to the spaghetti bowl this year but I seriously can't complain! The park catered the group to a nacho bar behind Thunderbird instead!

(How do you embed videos? lol)

I'm thinking about doing Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom on the same day (KK first then HW). Would that be possible? (I'm not a big water park person)

I think the parks are only a little over an hour apart so it's totally possible. KK is always empty and HW doesn't usually get too busy from what I've seen, and both parks are pretty small as well. I would totally try out the water coasters at HW even if you're not a big water park person, they're something else!

If you're not doing the water parks, it is absolutely possible. Although, anyone on these forums will tell you that you might be missing out on something amazing if you choose to skip Mmamoth and Wildebeest water coasters at Holiday World (and I would agree with them, because they're both fantastic).

I'm thinking about doing Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom on the same day (KK first then HW). Would that be possible? (I'm not a big water park person)

I've done it. Also, because of time zones, you gain an hour when driving from KK to HW. Although you'll probably feel rushed and will miss out some detail, you can still get a lot done. I did both parks on a Monday in August and was able to get in about 5 rides on each of the major coasters at both parks.