TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Yea, as much as I enjoyed my time there a few years ago, I'm still thrown by the choice to put Hyena Falls where they did. That corner of the park feels like what happens when you rush too quickly through expanding your park in a Roller Coaster Tycoon scenario.

I've said since the first season they put in Gobbler Getaway that it is a highly under appreciated right. The thing is just down right fun and yet relaxing at the same time. It's in a perfect place in the park so it's great to hop on it after The Voyage to tame the adrenaline a bit and allow you to sit down and cool off while still have a blast... yet it is also a sort of "gateway" to the nearby Thunderbird as well. HW really nails these things in many ways. You can tell they put so much thought into all of this including ride placement within the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly I thought the park's layout was really weird and the entire Thanksgiving section seemed like an afterthought that feels unfinished and desperately needs some trees. I'm also completely baffled by the placement of Hyena falls and the abandoned water ride is a huge eyesore.

It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the place but when I think about parks that put a lot of thought into the placement of things, I don't think Holiday World.

Well the truth is, The whole Thanksgiving section is not that old at all.. especially compared to the rest of the themed areas. Thanksgiving opened in 2006 with The Voyage. It's a themed area that they aren't finished with at all. The Hyena Falls placement was weird, I grant you that, but that was also during that short time when the big question was who owns the park and who is running it. I guarantee you they have plans for the old Pilgrims Plunge area... and they probably also have plans that will make the Hyena falls placement make a lot more sense for them in the future. Trust that they DO have a master plan and in the end it all makes sense. They just tend to think ahead a bit longer into the future than what some parks seem to do.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. They have said on their podcasts that they have a master plan and that includes already developed plans on what they're doing with the Giraffica area. I have to imagine whatever the plans are they involve keeping and reusing the station. People seem to forget that's one of the most impressive buildings in the park and probably the largest station next to Voyage. Well themed and everything. Really hope that stays.

I think the one thing everyone agrees on is that this park is not lacking in wooden coasters. A spinner would be nice; they're trendy and not too intimidating for guests. With all of their coasters except Howler being custom, though, it would have to be not just out of the box. HW can't compete with cookie cutter coasters. The bigger players will eat them alive if they do, especially Kings Island. HW thrives by having what no one else has, and it should stay that way.

A spinner would fit in their lineup and be unlike anything at nearby parks.

I was thinking of an RMC. It's not a wooden coaster that's missing from their lineup, but an RMC wouldn't be a wooden coaster like they would get from GCI or GG or like what they have. RMC is the hot new manufacturer, so if they were to go with a wooden roller coaster, I'd expect RMC much more than GCI or GG.

But that doesn't diversify the lineup or distinguish it from the nearby rivals (KK and KI) as much as a couple of other coaster styles would:

1. B&M Flyer (yes, KI has Firehawk, but Firehawk typically is disliked)

2. Mega-lite, either Mack or Intamin

3. B&M looper

4. Some other kind of RMC (T-Rex or non-conversion hybrid)

5. A more conventional-style launch coaster than Thunderbird (e.g. Maverick, Taron, Helix, iSpeed)

There are varying degrees of wishful thinking in that list, but all of those styles could be designed to fit within about the same budget as Thunderbird.

Yeah ever since the completion of Thunderbird I've thought the "next step" for them as far as coasters go is a great family coaster. A Mack spinner sees like the obvious choice. Although (and I don't think this will happen) I think a larger Vekoma family suspended would be a great fit at the park. They're smooth, and examples like Orkanen or the one at Energylandia look like they pack some decent thrills.

Just sayin

Uggggg that's given me an idea that won't ever happen. Revive the swinging suspended coaster. Sure, Kings Island has The Bat, but a modern coaster of that style could be a lot of fun.

Won't happen, but it would be fun if they got Vekoma or Mack to revive that style.

Holiwood Nights is themed to Jurassic Park this year ('Jurclassic Park' -- they restored a classic ride this year) so there are random dinosaurs running amoc, employees in lab coats quoting the movie, Jurassic Park music around the park, and other fun things themed to the movie. Even our hourderves in the water park were properly themed with a carnivore (pterodactyl wings), dessert section (mini volcanoes and dirt cups with fossils in them) and herbivores (with brontosaurus chow).

0bab69aabdfab551fb62680d88d3669d.jpg (photo by Paula)

They make the themes fun every year, making each years event very unique. They put a lot of thought and effort into this stuff.

Just a quick question before my first visit here in a couple weeks. Does holiday world have any rules or policies against DSLR cameras? We planned to have many days in the park so I had time to go around the park and get some photos. I know the obvious rule that I can't take it on rides. I just don't want to bring my camera if I can't use it and have to leave it at a hotel or in the car.

You may not bring it on the rides. That's the only rule.

And good move planning multiple days here. This is a fantastic park. A lot of enthusiasts see 4 coasters and think it'll be quick, but the park is so much more than that. All 4 are world class and you'll run out of time before you want to stop riding, no matter how much time you've planned. There's a huge selection of great flats, and they tend to run long cycles too. Add to that the single greatest waterpark I have ever been to, and it's hard to get enough of this place. Have fun!

What parks don't allow cameras inside?

I thought the same thing. However, then I remembered Adventures Island was borderline no allowing me to take pictures of the rides with my camera, but that was mainly due to children and stuff, I would imagine a thrill park like this would have no issues with it.

What parks don't allow cameras inside?

I've heard Lakeside in Denver (a true gem!) doesn't like pictures taken inside the park. I took pictures when I was there years ago with no problem, but was not aware of the policy at the time.