TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ Yeah they're listed as closed on the website. They won't open Hyena Falls if they don't have enough people to staff it or if there isnt enough people in the park to warrant opening it. It probably doesn't get a whole lot of ridership anyway with it being so far out there.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Random thought. Has anyone ever been at the park when the Thunderbird queue that goes alongside the launch is in use? I've only been when it's a station wait so I can't imagine how long the wait would be if the whole bottom of the station was full plus the out-n-back queue by the launch.

Random thought. Has anyone ever been at the park when the Thunderbird queue that goes alongside the launch is in use? I've only been when it's a station wait so I can't imagine how long the wait would be if the whole bottom of the station was full plus the out-n-back queue by the launch.

Season pass night 2015. The definition of hell. The line went down around the corner of Crow's Nest with all switchbacks filled. This took about 2.5 hours. Boy was that a pain, especially when they alternated between one and two trains and cleaned up 4 vomit comets. It was a night ride and mind blowing, however. I may or may not have been a bit delirious from that wait too

It was used last Saturday, but not filled completely. It is used more often than you'd think. The main room has filled up in the morning most days this month, with the wagon room occasionally filled on busier days.

Edited by Koasterking48

I guess I've just been lucky. But I also only plan trips for light crowd days. I assumed it would be used due to the popularity of the ride, but I wasn't sure if the operations were so good that it hasn't been used often. On a related note, I noticed that a more peremant backup generator trailer has been placed right next to that queue line. It seems like an odd placement. I hope they build a fence around it before next season. Or something that fits the theme - such as a shed - would be nice.

Thunderbird op here. It was used last Saturday, but not filled completely. It is used more often than you'd think. The main room has filled up in the morning most days this month, with the wagon room occasionally filled on busier days.

Woah what's your name?! I'll look for you next time I'm there!

I guess I've just been lucky. But I also only plan trips for light crowd days. I assumed it would be used due to the popularity of the ride, but I wasn't sure if the operations were so good that it hasn't been used often. On a related note, I noticed that a more peremant backup generator trailer has been placed right next to that queue line. It seems like an odd placement. I hope they build a fence around it before next season. Or something that fits the theme - such as a shed - would be nice.

Yeah I usually plan to go on light crowd days as well. The fullest I've seen the queue in person was last year when the main room and the room with the wagon was completely full (that was around a 45min wait), and that was only because the ride had been down all day and there were a bunch of school groups there. There are a couple of things working against the ride having a consistent line, IMO. It's location is just too far from the rest of the park and once you make that walk once, you really don't want to walk back up there to re-ride it, especially at the end of the day when you're worn out. The second thing is that only a certain % of people who visit HW can ride it/wants to ride it.

As for the generator, if you remember last year, they had a bunch of cables running up from those Cummins trailers that connected to some green box thing. The new smaller generator sits right on top of where that used to be. You would have to think that it's only temporary. Both times I've been there this season, the fly wheels were being used.

^ It may very well could be, but they have to be renting it. I'd say it'll stick around another season or so until they feel like fly wheels have been reliable enough to not warrant the backup or until they add another attraction that doesn't make it necessary for them to need the ride to run everyday. I mean they want to the ride to run everyday, but if it were to go down, it wouldn't necessarily put a damper on the guest experience if they added another big attraction that is on the same level of TB. If one of the woodies is down, it isn't that big of a deal because they have two other woodies plus Thunderbird. Now if Thunderbird goes down, they're gonna have a whole lot of upset guests with it being the only big steel coaster in the park.

Just a fair warning to anyone visiting the park in the next two weeks, make sure to check the hours, as they're reduced starting tomorrow. They close at 7 p.m. instead of 9 p.m. this week (except Saturday) and next week they go back to 6 p.m. and that's basically the last week of daily operation.

I was at Holiday World on Tuesday afternoon, July 26, and all the next day, and I wanted to post a few thoughts.

All of my previous visits had been May and early June, and someone had posted here that the Voyage began to run rough beginning about the middle of July. I was happy to see that, at least for me, this was not the case. The Voyage was just as comfortable to ride as it had been for HoliWood Nights a couple of months ago. I could even ride in a wheel seat with no problems. Four years ago it become my #1 coaster, and nothing has happened since then to change that. A true masterpiece. I enjoy talking to people in line who are about to take their first ride on the Voyage.

I got one ride on the Raven when I got there Tuesday afternoon, but then it was down for the rest of the day Tuesday and all day Wednesday. The only information I was able to get was that it was related to the computer and possibly to the heat. Does anyone know what the problem actually was?

The Legend was also down for a while Wednesday morning and afternoon, so the line for the Voyage was pretty long. Does anyone know what the Legend's problem was?

None of the problems kept me from having a great time.

Trip Report for Tuesday 8/2 to both Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom.

Like Cedar Point and Kings Island, Holiday World felt like another holy grail type spot for me. Pulling up to the place is kind of surreal in that the whole region is highly scenic — rolling hills, tractors, and cornfields — and then smack on the middle of one of the cornfields is a massive, orange B&M coaster. Whereas I was ready to get out of Kentucky Kingdom after just a couple of hours, even though Holiday World was pretty quiet (10 minute waits for the big coasters for most of the time I was there), I still felt like I didn’t have enough time to ride as much as I wanted and to really savor the place in the way it deserved. The park looks great and manages to maintain a home-grown feel without things getting overly tacky or sentimental; I got the impression that the owners knew exactly what makes a park work when they set the place up. It was miserably hot on the day I was there, and so the water park sucked up the bulk of the crowd. Once the water park closed, however, the lines of the rides filled out a bit, but only The Raven had a wait toward the end of the day, largely due to single-train ops. Lots of things impressed me about the place, but the ride operators themselves were a real standout. They all seemed to be really into what they were doing and were having plenty of fun doing it. While it’s not a park I’d go out of my way to return to again now that I’ve been once, it is a place that I wish I could have spent a full day at.

The Voyage (x5)

Even though I rode this five times, I wasn’t a huge fan of it. But, like The Beast, the rides at Holiday World have become somewhat iconic, and this is one of the more famous ones. Operations were slow as safety checks were very thorough, yet running two trains was a must given the length of the track (single-train ops on this must suck). I found that the ride was great when traveling in a straight line but painful when changing direction. As the result, that made the first 1/3 of the ride great, and the next 2/3 to be less than ideal. I found that some of the rougher turns could be tolerated with a bit of defensive leaning, but there are some parts of the ride that simply need work. The first turn to the left on the big turn around was especially jarring, and from the ride photo to the very end of the ride was also extremely rough. The problem with the roughness on this ride is not that it exists (it’s a wooden coaster after all), but that it’s too sustained for too much of the ride. It’s a cool layout, and impressive how the return leg manages to build up so much speed, but it’s a tough ride that takes effort to enjoy. Points for iconic status, but it’s a ride that could be made better with a bit of refurbishment. 7/10

The Raven (x3)

I loved The Raven, and it’s probably the best wooden coaster of my trip so far. Given that it’s pretty small, it’s impressive how nippy it feels. Also, it’s not nearly as rough as The Voyage or The Legend, so that helps too. The first drop into the tunnel, the sweeping turnaround, and the buried drop that led into the return ‘S’ curve, were all standout moments. The ride’s over a little too quickly, but what exists of it was top notch. Combine that with a cool theme and neat station design, and The Raven was my favorite ride at the park. Excellent. 8/10

The Legend (x3)

This ride looks amazing from across the park — the curving drop looks HUGE, as does the first sweeping turn around. The wolf noise is also a nice touch that can be heard from all over. However, like The Voyage, the ride starts strong (the first drop and second hill), but it goes south from there. The ride has a number of jarring sections (the big helix, for example), and the laterals are a little heavy handed for my liking (as if the designers hated banked turns). There’s a few sections of the track that I couldn’t help but wonder how easily the structure will chew itself up simply because the turns lack adequate banking to support the speed. From what I gather they’ve started to work on this with some redesigns, but it’s still a little too unwieldy in spots for it to be fully enjoyable for me. Of course wooden coasters should always feel rickety and rough, but when a coaster travels at the pace that this one does, it seems like it would make more sense to give a slightly smoother ride so that the feeling of speed and movement through the woods can be more appreciated. It’s not the roughest wooden coaster I’ve ridden and is no worse than a ride like Apocalypse or the old Ghost Rider, but it’s definitely heading in that direction. 7/10

Thunderbird (x3)

This ride looks so out of place in the park, but it’s a solid ride all the same. It has some of the same ho-hum feeling that you find on rides like Gatekeeper, but the initial launch helps to alleviate that somewhat. The height of the first inversion is nice as you get a clear line of sight to the crowd below. The figure-eight move following the in-line loop is forceful, and the flip that follows is taken smoothly. While flying through dilapidated buildings is fun, the final in-line twist did nothing for me except make me wish it weren’t there, but the visual effect of it is good. I rode this three times before the water park crowd descended on it, but like a number of modern B&Ms, it doesn’t exactly do much to warrant multiple rides. It’s not forceless per se, but it’s not that inspired either. The launch didn’t feel powerful to me, but overall it’s an enjoyable ride — one that serves as a welcome break from all the roughness of the park’s woodies. 7/10

Log Ride (x1)

Single-drop log ride that soaked me — which was fine as it was close to a million degrees on the day that I visited. Not much to report on this one aside from the fact that it looks home made.

Turkey Ride (x1)

The gun didn’t work at all, and the ride was basically a 2D dark ride akin to Boo Blasters, but the weirdness of the whole endeavor made it worthwhile.

Even though I got my fill of the Holiday World coasters, there’s no question that my visit was too short to really take in everything the park has to offer. There’s a lot of charm to the place and a lot of attention to detail but without micromanaging the guest’s experience of the place. A full day would definitely be required to get a good perspective on what the place is all about. Having said that, I accomplished my goal of hitting the major coasters of Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World multiple times in just eight hours.

FWIW: This is part of a mini four-day trip that included Indiana Beach, two visits to both Cedar Point and Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World.

IMG_1691.thumb.jpg.82ae433bb0cc910cc9f64b888d676e00.jpg

It's surreal to see a huge B&M sitting in the middle of a field where a tractor or a team of cows should be.

IMG_1706.thumb.jpg.163e2fb78808707bcec506504afcc149.jpg

The park was pretty empty at this point and Voyage was a 2-3 train wait.

IMG_1709.thumb.jpg.a78371c20f2d5388729f93f6b6e06cd8.jpg

the first drop is great. What's beneath the first drop, not so much.

IMG_1719.thumb.jpg.6a532790fd2c224450a631a2d81157c7.jpg

The height of this part of the ride is especially noticeable while riding.

IMG_1726.thumb.jpg.82a6be82113d06bd6807a59d927a377c.jpg

Not so much on this part, though.

IMG_1815.thumb.jpg.3856a02957ec58a34209d0544f1d1a21.jpg

Best. Station. Ever. And best ride at the park, IMO.

Edited by Arthur_Seaton

Trip Report for Tuesday 8/2 to both Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom.

Like Cedar Point and Kings Island, Holiday World felt like another holy grail type spot for me. Pulling up to the place is kind of surreal in that the whole region is highly scenic — rolling hills, tractors, and cornfields — and then smack on the middle of one of the cornfields is a massive, orange B&M coaster. Whereas I was ready to get out of Kentucky Kingdom after just a coupe of hours, even though Holiday World was pretty quiet (10 minute waits for the big coasters for most of the time I was there), I still felt like I didn’t have enough time to ride as much as I wanted and to really savor the place in the way it deserved. The park looks great and manages to maintain a home-grown feel without things getting overly tacky or sentimental; I got the impression that the owners knew exactly what makes a park work when they set the place up. It was miserably hot on the day I was there, and so the water park sucked up the bulk of the crowd. Once the water park closed, however, the lines of the rides filled out a bit, but only The Raven had a wait toward the end of the day, largely due to single-train ops. Lots of things impressed me about the place, but the ride operators themselves were a real standout. They all seemed to be really into what they were doing and were having plenty of fun doing it. While it’s not a park I’d go out of my way to return to again now that I’ve been once, it is a place that I wish I could have spent a full day at.

The Voyage (x5)

Even though I rode this five times, I wasn’t a huge fan of it. But, like The Beast, the rides at Holiday World have become somewhat iconic, and this is one of the more famous ones. Operations were slow as safety checks were very thorough, yet running two trains was a must given the length of the track (single-train ops on this must suck). I found that the ride was great when traveling in a straight line but painful when changing direction. As the result, that made the first 1/3 of the ride great, and the next 2/3 to be less than ideal. I found that some of the rougher turns could be tolerated with a bit of defensive leaning, but there are some parts of the ride that simply need work. The first turn to the left on the big turn around was especially jarring, and from the ride photo to the very end of the ride was also extremely rough. The problem with the roughness on this ride is not that it exists (it’s wooden coaster after all), but that it’s too sustained for too much of the ride. It’s a cool layout, and impressive how the return leg manages to build up so much speed, but it’s a tough ride that takes effort to enjoy. Points for iconic status, but it’s a ride that could be made better with a bit of refurbishment. 7/10

The Raven (x3)

I loved The Raven, and it’s probably the best wooden coaster of my trip so far. Given that it’s pretty small, it’s impressive how nippy it feels. Also, it’s not nearly as rough as The Voyage or The Legend, so that helps too. The first drop into the tunnel, the sweeping turnaround, and the buried drop that led into the return ‘S’ curve, were all standout moments. The ride’s over a little too quickly, but what exists of it was top notch. Combine that with a cool theme and neat station design, and The Raven was my favorite ride at the park. Excellent. 8/10

The Legend (x3)

This ride looks amazing from across the park — the curving drop looks HUGE, as does the first sweeping turn around. The wolf noise is also a nice touch that can be heard from all over. However, like The Voyage, the ride starts strong (the first drop and second hill), but it goes south from there. The ride has a number of jarring sections (the big helix, for example), and the laterals are a little heavy handed for my liking (as if the designers hated banked turns). There’s a few sections of the track that I couldn’t help but wonder how easily the structure will chew itself up simply because the turns lack adequate banking to support the speed. From what I gather they’ve started to work on this with some redesigns, but it’s still a little too unwieldy in spots for it to be fully enjoyable for me. Of course wooden coasters should always feel rickety and rough, but when a coaster travels at the pace that this one does, it seems like it would make more sense to give a slightly smoother ride so that the feeling of speed and movement through the woods can be more appreciated. It’s not the roughest wooden coaster I’ve ridden and is no worse than a ride like Apocalypse or the old Ghost Rider, but it’s definitely heading in that direction. 7/10

Thunderbird (x3)

This ride looks so out of place in the park, but it’s a solid ride all the same. It has some of the same ho-hum feeling that you find on rides like Gatekeeper, but the initial launch helps to alleviate that somewhat. The height of the first inversion is nice as you get a clear line of sight to the crowd below. The figure-eight move following the in-line loop is forceful, and the flip that follows is taken smoothly. While flying through dilapidated buildings is fun, the final in-line twist did nothing for me except make me wish it weren’t there, but the visual effect of it is good. I rode this three times before the water park crowd descended on it, but like a number of modern B&Ms, it doesn’t exactly do much to warrant multiple rides. It’s not forceless per se, but it’s not that inspired either. The launch didn’t feel powerful to me, but overall it’s an enjoyable ride — one that serves as a welcome break from all the roughness of the park’s woodies. 7/10

Log Ride (x1)

Single-drop log ride that soaked me — which was fine as it was close to a million degrees on the day that I visited. Not much to report on this one aside from the fact that it looks home made.

Turkey Ride (x1)

The gun didn’t work at all, and the ride was basically a 2D dark ride akin to Boo Blasters, but the weirdness of the whole endeavor made it worthwhile.

Even though I got my fill of the Holiday World coasters, there’s no question that my visit was too short to really take in everything the park has to offer. There’s a lot of charm to the place and a lot of attention to detail but without micromanaging the guest’s experience of the place. A full day would definitely be required to get a good perspective on what the place is all about. Having said that, I accomplished my goal of hitting the major coasters of Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World multiple times in just eight hours.

FWIW: This is part of a mini four-day trip that included Indiana Beach, two visits to both Cedar Point and Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World.

I really enjoyed reading your Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom trip reports. I thought your take on their coasters was a brave one but a cool perspective. A lot of coaster reviews are so obsessed with the positives of rides, that the reviewers refuse to give coasters anything less than an 8/10, but your was one of the harsher reviews I've seen on both parks coasters, and there's nothing wrong with that. I got to say though even if you're not a water park person, you gotta try out Splashin Safari at least some. It probably takes up 50-55% of the total park area, and was recently named the best US water park outside of Orlando. It's really good.

GCI just re-tracked portions of Legend this off-season, including the first drop, so I'd like to see it possibly get some work done to the middle third of the ride. That's definitely the roughest part of the ride as it stands now, but it was a lot rougher overall a year ago than it is now. Hopefully we see a Voyage re-track done within the next 3 years by either GCI or Gravity Group.

Anyway I know you don't have much to work with right now, but which one did you prefer? HW or KK?

I really enjoyed reading your Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom trip reports. I thought your take on their coasters was a brave one but a cool perspective. A lot of coaster reviews are so obsessed with the positives of rides, that the reviewers refuse to give coasters anything less than an 8/10, but your was one of the harsher reviews I've seen on both parks coasters, and there's nothing wrong with that. I got to say though even if you're not a water park person, you gotta try out Splashin Safari at least some. It probably takes up 50-55% of the total park area, and was recently named the best US water park outside of Orlando. It's really good.

GCI just re-tracked portions of Legend this off-season, including the first drop, so I'd like to see it possibly get some work done to the middle third of the ride. That's definitely the roughest part of the ride as it stands now, but it was a lot rougher overall a year ago than it is now. Hopefully we see a Voyage re-track done within the next 3 years by either GCI or Gravity Group.

Anyway I know you don't have much to work with right now, but which one did you prefer? HW or KK?

Thanks! I definitely preferred Holiday World as it had far more character and the coasters were a little more traditional. And yes, it does seem that a big part of Holiday World is the water park. As far as water parks go, it looked pretty amazing and I would have loved to give it a go. And that's interesting to hear that the first part of Legend was re-tracked as it felt noticeably better than the rest to me. I thought the layout of the ride was fantastic, but the laterals were a bit overkill and I'd love to try a ride like that with a tad less brutality.

^I actually think they did a complete redo of Legend. I was there on Thursday and found it to be the best it's ever ridden. However, I completely agree with you about the laterals. It's brutally uncomfortable through the helix and could use some nice banking.

I also thought the Raven was running awesome. It looked like they had done some nice work on it in the off season and it was much improved since last year.

As far as the Voyage is concerned, I think you are being incredibly generous with your critique. IMHO it is now unrideable period! and as far as I'm concerned, absolute crap. There is no moment that it doesn't jackhammer. It is jarring and violent from beginning to end. It went from a good coaster when it first opened to an alright coaster in less than 5 seasons, then from alright to I'll ride it once to see how it's aging in the remainder of it's life span.

Unless it gets a complete RMC Topper or Iron Horse retrack, I will never get on that coaster again. I've never gotten off a coaster before and been upset or angry because of the way I physically felt. It put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I was taking Advil and Tylenol well into yesterday evening just to compensate for the low grade headache that I had been having since getting off it Thursday afternoon. That's not the way I like to spend my day at a park. Or subsequent days regretting getting on a ride. I would probably rank it down at the bottom of my wood coaster poll along with Mean Streak, the Old Texas Rattler and Rolling Thunder.

^I actually think they did a complete redo of Legend. I was there on Thursday and found it to be the best it's ever ridden. However, I completely agree with you about the laterals. It's brutally uncomfortable through the helix and could use some nice banking.

I also thought the Raven was running awesome. It looked like they had done some nice work on it in the off season and it was much improved since last year.

As far as the Voyage is concerned, I think you are being incredibly generous with your critique. IMHO it is now unrideable period! and as far as I'm concerned, absolute crap. There is no moment that it doesn't jackhammer. It is jarring and violent from beginning to end. It went from a good coaster when it first opened to an alright coaster in less than 5 seasons, then from alright to I'll ride it once to see how it's aging in the remainder of it's life span.

Legend had a few spots that just felt straight-up jarring and in need of help, but I suspect that's by design. I guess I really didn't know that much about the ride before I got to the park, and a look back through this thread was telling. I'm not quite sure why some people privilege rib-breaking laterals on woodies, but I guess it's a thing. To me, it suggests poor design as getting slammed into the side of a train doesn't seem rider-friendly or ride-friendly at all, but to each her own? The part that seemed the worst to me was the big turnaround drop over one of the waterslides. That wasn't the result of aggressive laterals; it was jacked up track in need of service. The ride was beautiful overall and the layout was spectacular, so I couldn't help but wonder how much better it would have been with more realistic banking.

As far as the Voyage goes, maybe I was being generous with my critique. I did force myself to ride it over and over (I did the same thing with Skyrush even though I didn't think that was a very good ride at all), and I got a little more comfortable with it each time. The front seat seemed much better to me for some reason, but it was the sustained aggression that was the real issue. I've been on worse than this though (several of the rides at SFMM are in a bad state right now), and I actually thought Legend was on par with Voyage in terms of jackhammering and discomfort. And you're right that a crappy ride can easily ruin your day. I found myself struggling at Kings Island as so many of the rides there were rough as well.

I'd hate to think that Raven gets too rough though as what made it work was that you could ride it without fear of breaking a bone. It certainly had moments of roughness like the others, but not on the same level. Plus, the track design seemed better to me overall. Ironically, I was talking to a teenager while riding Voyage and he said that he didn't like Raven because it was too tame and not rough enough for him. The young 'uns can take a beating much easier it seems!

Unless it gets a complete RMC Topper or Iron Horse retrack, I will never get on that coaster again. I've never gotten off a coaster before and been upset or angry because of the way I physically felt. It put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I was taking Advil and Tylenol well into yesterday evening just to compensate for the low grade headache that I had been having since getting off it Thursday afternoon. That's not the way I like to spend my day at a park. Or subsequent days regretting getting on a ride. I would probably rank it down at the bottom of my wood coaster poll along with Mean Streak, the Old Texas Rattler and Rolling Thunder.

It's just interesting how big of a love it or hate it coaster Voyage is. That's as harsh of a review as I've heard, but I've also heard other very negative reviews. But yet I've heard reviews raving about it still. I had a friend who came to Holiday World for the first time in May of 2016 and left stunned by how much he liked Voyage. He called it his "clear #2 woodie behind El Toro" and maybe number 1 if he could have gotten a night ride on it. Obviously Voyage runs smoother in May than August, but not that big of a difference.

So according to most reviews I've seen, Voyage is either your favorite, or you hate it. Not many people have a middle opinion.

I for one love Voyage. It's one of my favorite woodies. I like the roughness of it. I like a good old fashioned rough wooden coaster. I can see though why someone wouldn't like it. Others I know are not fans of rough coasters and only like butter smooth coasters. To each his own.

In another note, anybody have ideas of what Holiday World will add in 2017? Not expecting anything major, but.. slides, a flat ride, another coaster retrack? What are we thinking.

I have a friend who works at the park. He said that when he got hired, he was with a bunch of other new employees and "one of the people who hired us" came in and said "I know what the new ride is next year! But can't tell you all!" So, I'm assuming it'll be something. However, I'm picturing a water park addition. It's been a bit since they've put anything in there. Although what I REALLY want is Topper Track Voyage. I love it's layout so much. It's just so rough, especially later in the year. I can't wait for a new coaster, though! I'm hoping for a B&M invert or hyper. I'm not too sure where they'd put them, but oh well. Anyway, enough daydreaming about something that's not coming for a long time

I for one love Voyage. It's one of my favorite woodies. I like the roughness of it. I like a good old fashioned rough wooden coaster. I can see though why someone wouldn't like it. Others I know are not fans of rough coasters and only like butter smooth coasters. To each his own.

I love it too, for its intensity, interesting layout, and length. I have tweaked a neck or shoulder muscle in minor fashion on it here and there, but that's partly my fault when I ride with my hands up; it is stil one of my favorite coasters of all time. Just rode it again in June.