TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ *spoiler alert*

It's rough.

I honestly found it to be one of the smoother woodies out there. It's no RMC but it was smoother than Thunderhead and much smoother than any out-and-back I've been on.

Maybe last month, but by now it's incredibly rough. It's world renown for getting rough in mid July it's perfectly fine the first couple of months, but July-on it's typically pretty rough.

I rode Voyage on Thursday and I thought it was running good. We I rode in the very back it was rough, but I rode 2nd to last row 5 times and it was so good that I bumped it up ahead of Superman the Ride. My advice would be to ride in the front of each cart.

I rode it about 8 times combined on Wednesday and Thursday in the front of a car each time and it seemed a bit rougher than when we were there the week of the 4th of July last year. Still an insane ride though. I wish I could've ridden it before they started using the MCBR again.

At the park now camped out in the store by Thunderbird. After being in here because of the storm for 45+ minutes, I haven't seen any ponchos. I previously worked in Guest Relations for another park and have heard multiple "Holiday World gave everyone free ponchos..." complaints. I was always surprised HW did that due to the cost,trash, etc, so do they not do that anymore? I have to get to First Aid by 2:00pm (which it is still expected to be storming at that time). Has anyone gotten a free poncho recently at the park?

Also, on an unrelated side note, it seems like all of the retail/food employees are little kids. My mom said it was like a happy version of Children of the Corn. I had seen 14 year olds working in the past, but it seems like a lot more this year. Either way, as someone who works in HR at another park, all of them have been exceptionally welcoming.

I remember last year, we got stuck paying for ponchos in the Thunderbird gift shop. I think it ended last year too, as we asked if they had free ponchos still and they said no (this was in the 2015 season).

The park is huge on hiring younger kids. Most of my friends (I live about 40 minutes from the park), are working there this summer. I plan to as well, in rides next year, so be looking for me (hopefully on Thunderbird!)

Quick write up from our visit last Wednesday and Thursday.

This year was our second visit to the park, the first being last year right after the 4th of July. The park quickly found itself at the top of my list of favorite amusement parks. Yes the rides at parks like Cedar Point might be better but the amusement park as a whole is just so much better than any other park I've been to. Because of our visit last year, our expectations for the park were very, very high and of course they were exceeded.

There is just something about Holiday World. Maybe it's as simple as the free pop or how nice the employees are. But what ever it is, Holiday World is by far my favorite park to visit.

The park is beautiful. The rides are fun, and anybody you talk to that is an employee is exceptionally nice. The same can be said for the waterpark as well. Both parks are also very efficient in their ride and waterside operations.

In summary, it was a great two days at the park and we can't wait to return to the park.

Reviews for each coaster:

Wildebeest: Very fun, especially the large drop into a tunnel. We rode once, but could've ridden more with the single rider line.

Mammoth: We liked this one a little better than Wildebeest. The new tubes were very comfy and the two air time hills were great. We rode twice thanks to the Single rider line.

Raven: Crazy as always. A little rough but would be a lot worse if it was at a park that didn't take such good care of it like HW does.

Voyage: Longer more awesome, air time filled, version of Raven.

Legend: Ok so I never thought the ride was *that* bad. Yes it had its rough spots but it was still pretty rideable in my opinion. That being said, I was still excited to ride the *new* Legend, and it totally blew me away. I didn't think a wooden coaster could be that smooth but still have great laterals. Voyage was my favorite wooden coaster at the park last year, but Legend took that spot this year.

Thunderbird: Awesome coaster for this park. Smooth everywhere and an awesome theme. My favorite ride in the park.

Like I said, a great visit that had pretty small crowds in the amusement park and the crowds were manageable in the waterpark thanks to how efficient things were being run.

We can't wait to go back next year!

I visited the park today. I kinda got a different experience than I've ever had at the park. My Mom and Dad wanted to take both my nieces to the park for their first time, so me and my sister volunteered to go along and help. They are both 3&5 and 36 inches and 48 inches exactly. It's been a long time since I've spent any time in the kiddie sections in the park, so I really wasn't sure what to expect. I knew my nieces would love it, but being a fan of the park, sometimes I can't help but critique areas of the park and think of ways they could be improved. I'll start out by talking about the dry park. They have an abundance of attractions for the 36'-42' range, but I feel like they lack some true thrill attractions for those stuck between the 42'-48' range. I really feel like they could use a Powder Keg or Firechaser Express, but I also feel like they could fill this void by maybe working with PTC and maybe getting the height restriction dropped on The Raven. The waterpark on the other hand was absolutely fantastic for the kids. Seeing my niece jump up and down for joy about how awesome her ride on Mammoth was really cool. The Safari Sam's Splash area, Monsoon Lagoon, and Kima Bay are awesome for all kids (Although, I should add that Monsoon Lagoon could really use some TLC). It was quite an experience today and watching them have an absolute blast reminded me of why I fell in love with the park when I was a kid.

Although today was not about trying to get as many rides as possible on coasters, I did manage to get a few rides on The Voyage and Thunderbird. I'll start out by saying that crowds sizes was very manageable. I only waited for Thunderbird for about 25 mins Around 10;45 and then it was 15 min wait or so right before the waterpark closed. The Voyage was practically a walk-on around that time as well. It was really odd as the whole Thanksgiving section was just congested with people and they weren't riding anything. I was going to try and get a ride in on The Legend and Raven, but they were both broke down toward the end of the day.

To add to the review of how The Voyage is riding... It's considerably rougher than it was when I rode it in May, which is to be expected. There's a nice little pot hole on the apex of the 1st camelback now. So much for the added uplift steel lol. The 1st half of the ride is way worse than it was in May, in fact, the second half the ride is smoother. When I was sitting on the brake-run and I looked to my left and looked at the track coming out of the S-Curve over the transfer track/block-brake, and thought to myself that track is not supposed to be doing the things it does on this roller coaster.

Thunderbird was amazing as usual. I rode front middle and back between both sides and didn't notice any rattle or roughness.

(Although, I should add that Monsoon Lagoon could really use some TLC).

When we went a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this in several areas of SS. For example, a couple of pieces of wood railing in the queue for Ottorongo were broken and hanging down, and there's a lot of areas that just need a good coat of fresh paint. It also seemed like there were a lot of maintenance issues. Zoombabwe was down all day, a slide in Hyena Falls was completely shutoff, none of the spraying jets/fountains in Safari Sam's Splash Land were operating, Wildebeest was up and down (puns!) throughout the day. I also noticed that none of the big slides had the "waterfalls" at the portals going. I'm sure this is just to save water/money, but it used to be a really nice effect and good splash of water.

When we went a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this in several areas of SS. For example, a couple of pieces of wood railing in the queue for Ottorongo were broken and hanging down, and there's a lot of areas that just need a good coat of fresh paint. It also seemed like there were a lot of maintenance issues. Zoombabwe was down all day, a slide in Hyena Falls was completely shutoff, none of the spraying jets/fountains in Safari Sam's Splash Land were operating, Wildebeest was up and down (puns!) throughout the day. I also noticed that none of the big slides had the "waterfalls" at the portals going. I'm sure this is just to save water/money, but it used to be a really nice effect and good splash of water.

On Otto (I think thats what it is called) the waterfall hurt so much it stinged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Wait... teenagers with work ethic enough to get a job before they're of driving age?

There are still some things I like about the midwest.

Not all teenagers are bad trust me I'm gonna make sure we're hitting capacity

I just had to go put two and two together to make sure you were the same guy but you know what's funny? I saw your posts about Great Adventure recently and a few others and thought your age was a typo. Especially considering some of the idiotic posts from certain other posters your age or even much older. Between the proper grammar and quality posts I'm impressed. Keep doing your thing.

Edited by coasterbill

Zoombabwe was still down yesterday. It was down when I went in May as well. Although it looks like it has ran since then as there weren't any rafts on the ride in May,

Wait... teenagers with work ethic enough to get a job before they're of driving age?

There are still some things I like about the midwest.

Not all teenagers are bad trust me I'm gonna make sure we're hitting capacity

I just had to go put two and two together to make sure you were the same guy but you know what's funny? I saw your posts about Great Adventure recently and a few others and thought your age was a typo. Especially considering some of the idiotic posts from certain other posters your age or even much older. Between the proper grammar and quality posts I'm impressed. Keep doing your thing.

Yup, 15 is right. Shocker I know

Thank you! I'm glad I have coasterbill's approval

Zoombabwe was still down yesterday. It was down when I went in May as well. Although it looks like it has ran since then as there weren't any rafts on the ride in May,

Zoombabwe also had the 4-person rafts on it (instead of the 6 person). When did that change?

^They got the 4 person rafts this year. The ride broke down when my family was at the park on July 17th. When I asked what was wrong an employee told me that the conveyor belt was broken. The ride was running on May 31st when I went.

Wait...Zoombabwe had been running with 6-person rafts? Since when?!

Looking at Pro-Slide's website, I think it was actually 5 people.

^ See I'm just the opposite. I'm wondering since when have they ran four person rafts

Go look next time you're there. It has the four person clover rafts now like they use on Zinga and Bakuli.