TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Water rides are interesting, capacity-wise. Since Schlittterbahn New Braunfels is less than 30 minutes from my house I get season passes there every other year (this is an off year sadly) and even on the most dead weekdays the big slides have decently long waits.

I rode the Bonsai Pipeline at Six Flags America this week and that ride was way more painful than I thought. Everyone in my group that rode it came of the slide with red marks down our backs and near concussions from slamming our heads on the slide. So I would be very disappointed if they got capsule slides next year or any year UNLESS they get some without any turns like Deep Water Dive at KK because that ride rocks.

Anyway, in an interview Matt Eckert said that HW likes water slides because you can ride them with your family and body slides don't have that family appeal which is why they don't have any at SS.

Anyway, in an interview Matt Eckert said that HW likes water slides because you can ride them with your family and body slides don't have that family appeal which is why they don't have any at SS.

That makes a ton of sense. I'm totally fine with that; I hate body slides. I almost always come out with marks on my back and lots of pain. I'd like to see something out by Hyena Falls (who wouldn't) along the lines of Calypso Run at KK/Hurricane Bay. Those slides were very fun, plus it would draw more people out to the constantly dead Hyena Falls area. I really hope this would go in the Pilgrim's Plunge spot. It's so weird seeing everything filled in and alive, then a giant concrete pit.

What can I expect crowds to be like on Friday? I'm thinking about taking a last minute trip.

I went on a Saturday late last month and found all dry rides to have manageable waits (under 30mins) and water park to be crowded (60+ mins for some slides). The two hydro magnetic slides had single rider lines that were under 5 mins though!! Your day should be even better!

^ I guess that's all true. I don't really know what they would do in the waterpark. They have so many varieties of slides already. I can't see them doing body slides, as those are capacity nightmares typically.

Is that really true? At waterparks I've been to, the tube slides have terrible lines and the body slides are usually walk ons...

It depends what type of slide I think. Take a look at KI's waterpark. It might have been the day I went, (only been once), but their body slides had at least 20 minute waits, and some tube slides did too, but some were also walk on. I'd actually be interested to see a capacity for something like a Proslide tornado vs one of the trap door slides.

If you are referring to their new body slide complex, it was probably just because they were new. From my experience, body slides always have shorter lines than tube slides (unless a park has 95% tube slides and just one stand out body slide or something). I'm sure there are exceptions but I feel like Holiday World would be fine if they added a body slide complex. The line couldn't be longer and slower than the line for Mammoth gets.

That makes a lot of sense, although I think there would still be plenty of appeal to the family aspect even if there was one slide or one complex that didn't offer riders to go together.

They could always add a body slide complex like the one below too, which allows up to 6 people to face each other and make it both an anticipation bonding experience leading up to the floor drop, and a racing experience seeing who wins at the end:

^ After everyone goes into the waterpark, yes. The Raven and Legend will get huge lines at rope drop. Thunderbird will always have a good sized line. It'll be at it's shortest mid-day.

Thanks! We are only planning on doing the Waterpark 1 of those days. The other day will be spent marathoning the coasters

We will be going to the park on Wednesday but we will arrive in Santa Claus at about 7:30 on Tuesday night. We are planning on using the Club TPR discount on tickets, so that brings me to my two questions:

1: Can we buy our tickets for Wednesday at the park on Tuesday night?

2: If the answer to the above question is yes, can we go into the park on Tuesday night for free with our tickets for Wednesday? I know a number of parks do this and I am wondering if Holiday World is one of them.

Thanks!

Went to HW yesterday for a few hours.

Rode Thunderbird for the first time and absolutely loved it! My favorite Wing Coaster yet over Wild Eagle and Gatekeeper (and X2 if you count that as one). The Legend was also very enjoyable with its retracking! They really did a nice job with it. Voyage is still great. Raven broke down when I was next in line and I didn't get to ride definitely a disappointment. But as always, HW is a fantastic park, I always enjoy a trip there even if it was short like this one had to be.

Now for a few shots of Thunderbird that no one has ever taken before.

13600267_10206930963140280_3994682052329602273_n.jpg.18fb3128b5a2c5ef4388874faf901bd3.jpg

Launch was a little more powerful than I was expecting. Great Launch!

13606706_10206930961740245_1111181477580252541_n.thumb.jpg.254f3339269e2d2b22c8db3395a3f745.jpg

13612138_10206930962140255_7332526478267858947_n.jpg.494ccadf88e0c3c531da217c9de46a2a.jpg

Very nicely themed station!

13620361_10206930962500264_6256292792097790230_n.jpg.ddf72817fd19d599ef3116c1e3818a81.jpg

Perfect compliment to the big 3 woodies!

13620981_10206930962700269_5658324855101955134_n.jpg.322757434454debb5f5f0b0595041288.jpg

Those little trains look so odd on that big ole B&M track.

13626379_10206930962940275_8093821671281192823_n.thumb.jpg.94979d0d65e46d1cfda26367b48263ce.jpg

Loop de Loop!

13627200_10206930963540290_6802079308407856576_n.jpg.46bbd4676a7983960d7c1923070204b5.jpg

Wee!

How is the capacity on Thunderbird? With only 20 riders per train, is it still on-par with most other B&Ms?

It's pretty good. Nothing like Fury or something, but far better than stand ups. Thanks to good operations, and a short ride cycle, it's pretty good at eating through a line. On average, the second train will stack on the brakes for 10 seconds or so, before the train in front is dispatched.

So sometimes I randomly do a Holiday World search on Twitter to see if anybody posts something interesting about the park (I know, I have no life). This was one of the first ones I read and I found this to be funny and sad at the same time.

My new job at Holiday world is to tell people where the nearest Pokemon Go gyms are. The sad thing is people actually ask me where they are

Out of respect to the poster, I'm just posting what he wrote.

We will be going to the park on Wednesday but we will arrive in Santa Claus at about 7:30 on Tuesday night. We are planning on using the Club TPR discount on tickets, so that brings me to my two questions:

1: Can we buy our tickets for Wednesday at the park on Tuesday night?

2: If the answer to the above question is yes, can we go into the park on Tuesday night for free with our tickets for Wednesday? I know a number of parks do this and I am wondering if Holiday World is one of them.

Thanks!

For anybody wondering, I got in touch with the park and the answer to both questions is no.

It's pretty good. Nothing like Fury or something, but far better than stand ups.

If you're used to modern/typical B&M if will take you by surprise. It's a great ride and worth lapping.

I meant capacity but it's an awesome ride. It's at my home park and my personal favorite in the park. I got over 160 rides last season

^Jealous!

So my TR for the day:

Had planned on making the 3 hour drive to Holiday World with a buddy, spending all day at the park, and driving three hours home.

Scorecard:

I drove 10 minutes to my buddy's pool

Drank three beers

Relaxed

Got sun

Sh*t...