TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I actually noticed the same thing on Gatekeeper. The ride was smooth as butter, however, in the valleys you could feel the wing "bouncing." We did sit in the back so maybe you're right about that. There just isn't as much stability on a wing as there is directly attached to the track.

If you compare it to an airplane, you can constantly see the wings "flexing" and such whereas you don't get that experience in the cabin. Not sure why this would only be a phenomenon in the back of a train though?

^ Bomb threat. Must be really serious as they evacuated the entire park immediately. Nobody was allowed to get their stuff or anything. They're offering free tickets to those who are at the park (even though the park only had and hour and half of operation left) and will let people back in to get their stuff if they're still there (Edit: I guess they're bringing their stuff to the front gate). I assume it's Paula who is really trying to stay on top of everything on social media and I commend her for what seems like an impossible task.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/32350911/bomb-squad-on-scene-at-holiday-world-after-unattended-backpack-found

From what I can gather (This is what the park has officially stated): A guest turned in an unattended backpack that seemed suspicious and the bomb squad was called into inspect it.

1600116811_HWBombThreat.png.927f3bd6381ee31bcabae317a5049b2c.png

Edited by ZeroGravity55

^ You can't really second guess this thing, in the seconds you have, to decide.

I commend the park for moving everybody out, ASAP. And making the best call

they could, on this situation.

P.S. Your life is worth more than anything you had, in that bag you left behind.

^ Bomb threat. Must be really serious as they evacuated the entire park immediately. Nobody was allowed to get their stuff or anything. They're offering free tickets to those who are at the park (even though the park only had and hour and half of operation left) and will let people back in to get their stuff if they're still there (Edit: I guess they're bringing their stuff to the front gate). I assume it's Paula who is really trying to stay on top of everything on social media and I commend her for what seems like an impossible task.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/32350911/bomb-squad-on-scene-at-holiday-world-after-unattended-backpack-found

From what I can gather (This is what the park has officially stated): A guest turned in an unattended backpack that seemed suspicious and the bomb squad was called into inspect it.

So the guest picked up the suspicious backpack?? That seems scary, I would have alerted someone and not touched it, especially if there was suspicioun that it might have been a bomb or something of that sort. It's a crazy world we live in.

^^ The park definitely did the right thing. Safety should always be first.

^Honestly it was probably some nut job just trying to start stupid s**t. Once he turned in the backpack to lost and found and told them he thought it was suspicious, they had no choice but to follow protocol. I mean seriously, how many unattended bags get turned into lost and found everyday? HW also does bag checks (I'm aware it's not a bullet proof system). The fact that you even have to go through a security bag check in place like Santa Claus, Indiana should tell you there is something wrong with this world.

The state police are now telling the local news that the whole situation was blown out of proportion. http://www.14news.com/story/32351086/holiday-world-evacuated-due-to-bomb-threat

And it was just clothes in the backpack:

http://www.wlky.com/news/holiday-world-evacuated-after-unattended-backpack-found/40304924?src=app

^^ Agreed x1000. It'll never make sense in my head why someone would try to completely destroy someone who's just trying to have a good time at a park. Scary stuff. Prayers go out to the people who had kids, as I know explaining stuff like that to them is tough, we've had lots of problems with my younger sister. Glad everything is well though, Holiday World truly is a gem and I can't even imagine anything happening to it.

I found it hilarious that ISP said the situation was blown out of proportion... which I have found from experience to be the case more often than not during incidents like this. I was once on a scene where a rail line was shut down for two hours because a propane tank was sitting by the side of the tracks and someone thought it looked suspicious. In the end, hundreds of people were delayed and the Amtrack representative said over $1,000,000 was lost for every half hour the line was shut down. (his words not mine) It's a catch 22 though. You constantly have to weigh the risks of these situations without 'what iffing' the hell out of every situation to the point where reactions just become ridiculous. That said, most times common sense can more easily and more efficiently work through these questionable situations, but none of us know the whole story on this particular incident.

^ Especially in light of recent events everywhere, I for one am glad precautions are taken. I would rather be safe than sorry. Is it a pain if it was a needless event? yes. But it is better than the what if something did happen. The unfortunate side is that we are all going to have to realize this is the new norm unfortunately.

Trip Advisor named Splashin Safari the #4 water park in the United States, behind both WDW parks and Aquatica. https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Attractions-cWaterParks-g191

Who votes for these lists?

Splash Lagoon in Erie at #9? 11 spots above Schlitterbahn?? LMAO!

While SL is a decent family indoor water park, it is no where near something like Kalahari or a Great Wolf Lodge. It's like someone just Googled "USA water parks" and made the list from whatever popped up first.

I admit that the first four or five are probably the best, but where did they pull some of these other ghetto water parks from?

^ Darn. I saw that too and thought the same thing. Although we can't really expect much after a good amount of spending over 2 years, I would really like to see some teasing or some hints of something next year. Topper track voyage hopefully? Shoot me now please everyone I just hope we don't go on a 9 year coaster drought again

^ It's only July. Big water attractions like Mammoth and Wildebeest were announced in August. Mid-sized attractions like Mayflower or Hyena Falls were announced in September and October. If they can tie a theme into the announcement like they did for The Mayflower (they announced it on Mayflower day), they will do that. I honestly hope they do something with the former PP site. It just looks out of place without an attraction there.

^ I guess that's all true. I don't really know what they would do in the waterpark. They have so many varieties of slides already. I can't see them doing body slides, as those are capacity nightmares typically (especially for a waterpark that draws crowds like SS does). Going out on a limb here kind of, but I have a friend that worked at the park this summer (but recently had to quit for outside issues). He said that at one point, soon after he was hired, "the lady that hired us" (should've asked who it was) said "I already know what next year's ride is! But can't tell you!" So I'm just hoping it is in fact a ride. I would wonder what they could possibly be doing for a new ride, though. Maybe a frisbee? Those are becoming more common installations at other parks.

I wish Holiday World would put back the lazy river that was taken out when the new entrance was built - that would definitely help with crowds on the Splashin Safari side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ What he said, there was 2 of them, one up front near the entrance and one in the back by Mammoth and Wldebeest but they took out the one in front when they redid SS's entrance and they removed the water slide that went over the entrance walkway.

^ I guess that's all true. I don't really know what they would do in the waterpark. They have so many varieties of slides already. I can't see them doing body slides, as those are capacity nightmares typically.

Is that really true? At waterparks I've been to, the tube slides have terrible lines and the body slides are usually walk ons...

^ I guess that's all true. I don't really know what they would do in the waterpark. They have so many varieties of slides already. I can't see them doing body slides, as those are capacity nightmares typically.

Is that really true? At waterparks I've been to, the tube slides have terrible lines and the body slides are usually walk ons...

It depends what type of slide I think. Take a look at KI's waterpark. It might have been the day I went, (only been once), but their body slides had at least 20 minute waits, and some tube slides did too, but some were also walk on. I'd actually be interested to see a capacity for something like a Proslide tornado vs one of the trap door slides.