TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I hear the squealing as well, but it's probably due to friction and the contact between the wheels and the metal plates the wheels travel on. Is it loud? Yes. Is it really annoying? Probably not while you're riding. Screaming teenage girls are much more annoying.

Sounds pretty standard for a wooden coaster. Steel wheels on a steel track. We put a lot of graphite and other lube on the tracks to avoid it because of how close all of our coasters are to pathways, but that's what they start to do.

The legend squeals like nothing you've ever heard before. It's incredibly loud and can be heard even from the middle of the waterpark. Voyage isn't very bad this year, but does have a few spots of it. Raven was just as bad as Legend last year, but I haven't noticed much of it this year. I've only seen the HW woodies do this. Thunder Run at KK wasn't doing this last week when I went. It's some kind of weird friction thing I imagine. All I do know for sure though is that it's one of the worst sounds of all time. Almost as bad as that Storm Chaser vibration

I didn't notice it at all at the park. The shredding sound is much more noticeable and drowns out any "squeal" you may be hearing. Then again, maybe I was just too busy enjoying myself instead of finding nitpicky sounds to complain about.

The only time I noticed any sounds coming from Legend were in the waterpark and on ride. It has a sound that might be considered a squeal by some people? Idk, maybe my terminology is different. It did make sounds that you could hear from a ways away but they weren't really that loud on the ride. I think the term I use for what you're describing is "shredding." When I think squeal, I think a high-pitched squeak like a rampant kitten or something. The sound to me that wooden coasters make is more like the train is grinding the track to bits. Maybe that's what you mean by squeal? idk

I didn't notice it at all at the park. The shredding sound is much more noticeable and drowns out any "squeal" you may be hearing. Then again, maybe I was just too busy enjoying myself instead of finding nitpicky sounds to complain about.

I've had a season pass for 5 years now, going almost weekly because of how close I live. I've definitely had the time to notice it. It's a very noticeable shrieking sound. I have noticed, however, that it's not consistent. Some days that I go it'll be insane, others there's no sign of it. However, this year Legend has been horrible about it every time I've gone this year. It just seems to depend on the day to me.

Yeah I understand. I can get ridiculously picky about stuff at my homepark too, but I noticed stuff like the long walk to Thunderbird and the shady spots on the ground at the waterpark (which are a godsend) way before I noticed any sound coming from The Legend. Then again, I'm used to the lifthills on B&Ms and Arrows being audible from halfway across the park at SFFT so that could have desensitized me to loud rollercoaster sounds (except Outlaw Run's shriek during the airtime hills and overbanks, but that sound is amazing lol).

PTC trains and turns just don't really go together lol. The only way to stop the squeaking is to grease the track and I bet there is only so much grease to go around for all three woodies in the park. It really isn't that annoying when you're in the park. You just hear The Legend more than others because it goes over some of the queue lines in the waterpark.

Each coaster has a little clicker near most of the operators where they push a button repeatedly for the amount of people on every train. Voyage has it towards the front of the station where the train exits, and I think the same goes for Legend and Raven.

Ahh that's what I was talking about. I guess I was right lol.

Oooh namecalling what fun. We're also namedropping the M&D's incident? "Edgy stuff in here guys" as you said. Took the words right out of my mouth. Chill. We're talking about the sound a roller coaster makes. Is it really that big of a deal? lmao. Oh and now you're derailing it way more than I ever did, but that's besides the point.

I was too busy enjoying my day at the park to notice any excessive noise.

My main point right here.

It really isn't that annoying when you're in the park. You just hear The Legend more than others because it goes over some of the queue lines in the waterpark.

This too.

Not even somewhat relevant but I like the nickname

I don't mind it tbh. Especially because it has absolutely nothing to do with Holiday World at all, just something he's saying to make me sound less credible, and it's true that the ride he mentioned is my least favorite coaster.

Anyway, since I'm done talking about the sounds roller coasters make, has anybody else noticed how smoothly The Voyage has been running this season? I've heard things about it being really rough but I honestly found it to be one of the smoother woodies I've been on. Raven is much rougher and Legend wasn't exactly that smooth in the non-retracked areas.

Oooh namecalling what fun. We're also namedropping the M&D's incident? "Edgy stuff in here guys" as you said. Took the words right out of my mouth. Chill. We're talking about the sound a roller coaster makes. Is it really that big of a deal? lmao. Oh and now you're derailing it way more than I ever did, but that's besides the point.

I was too busy enjoying my day at the park to notice any excessive noise.

My main point right here.

It really isn't that annoying when you're in the park. You just hear The Legend more than others because it goes over some of the queue lines in the waterpark.

This too.

Not even somewhat relevant but I like the nickname

I don't mind it tbh. Especially because it has absolutely nothing to do with Holiday World at all, just something he's saying to make me sound less credible, and it's true that the ride he mentioned is my least favorite coaster.

Anyway, since I'm done talking about the sounds roller coasters make, has anybody else noticed how smoothly The Voyage has been running this season? I've heard things about it being really rough but I honestly found it to be one of the smoother woodies I've been on. Raven is much rougher and Legend wasn't exactly that smooth in the non-retracked areas.

I felt the same about voyage but apparently it's infamous for running worse and worse as the season drags on. Still my number 2 woodie of all time though

Yeah it might be that it's early in the season but I feel like even if it was running rough it would still be equally awesome, maybe even more so. The layout is just so strong that even if it was rougher than Raven it would still be a top ten woodie and a top ten overall coaster for me at least.

Haven't been to the Disney waterparks, but I do live nearby to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels and as water parks go, it's awesome. That being said, Splashin Safari exceeded my expectations and is probably my favorite waterpark even for only having gone on three of the rides there. There were so many other things to do that piqued my interest that we didn't get around to. I could totally spend an entire day at just the waterpark. Lots of rides on Wildebeest would be had.

You ain't slick Holiday World! I see you teasing through the sunscreen. #HolidayWorld2k17

Edit: I also just got off of thunderbird and oh my, it's bouncy. What causes this? It's not the "B&M Rattle" (I put it in quotes because I still don't believe it's a thing ). But it just bounced a ton the whole ride! Anyone know what's up?

Ugh sorry edit part 2: I rode more tonight, and it turns out that only happens in the back row. The rest of the rows are just as smooth as they were last year. Also, on one train, there were only 2 rows with lights on (on the wings) and on the other, there was only one! What's up with that? And on top of this, row 5 right side was closed on both trains. Thunderbird wasn't having a good day today.

Oh and the legend squeal was completely gone this visit

image.thumb.jpeg.7d80283ff2e5bb5ee6d0d68118a12b20.jpeg

Edited by tykunkel1031