TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think if a coaster was going to be added next year, we would have signs of that already. When Thunderbird was being added, we already saw markers and earth being moved by this time.

As much as I'd love a coaster, I'm not totally sure it'd happen since Thunderbird was a massive investment only 2 years ago. And the timeline of previous additions also would prove that they like to take their time. But as someone said above, holiday world does some surprising things.

Anyway, just to get freak a few people out (I'm not totally sure if this is legit. It was just on my explore page on Instagram and I thought I should share).

image.thumb.png.ce1275be414d981e580bee991ff8c94a.png

It's fake. That picture was pulled off of a 2010 trip report on here. All it took them to make up this rumor was a quick google image search.

I'm pretty disappointed that's not real honestly. I hate PTC trains on that ride. There's shuffling left and right and I feel that it could be an even more amazing ride with better trains.

^If they haven't done so already, Holiday World should probably keep a sharp eye on Ghostrider's performance this year, as that could potentially be a great solution for Voyage. All new track, minor reprofiling, and millennium flyers, or even PTC-360s.

^If they haven't done so already, Holiday World should probably keep a sharp eye on Ghostrider's performance this year, as that could potentially be a great solution for Voyage. All new track, minor reprofiling, and millennium flyers, or even PTC-360s.

I found voyage to be smooth as crap this season?

^ We're still early in the season. Voyage is notorious for not running very well when it gets to the middle/late July. Don't get me wrong, HW has done a very good job the last few years of getting the ride running great at the beginning of the year. He was talking about a more long term solution that keeps the ride running great all year.

Personally, I just can't see GCI touching Voyage. I think it's just a tad bit out of their comfort zone. I keep saying this, but Voyage means a lot to the park. Will Koch is listed as one of the designers and think they want to keep the layout as original as possible. I think all signs eventually point to RMC. Voyage is one of those special cases where I don't they can't I-box it because there is no way to modify the layout to shorten it (which would have to happen with the nylon/polyurethane wheels?). I think it has to have topper track and it's gonna need steel wheels. If this is possible, I think the best solution is to convert it to a topper track woodie with new RMC trains using steel wheels. I also think they'll have to modify the airtime hills to make them more extreme due to the fact that RMC trains are more restrictive than PTC's (which the ride was designed to run with), therefore the airtime won't be the same if it's just the same layout. This would allow the park to keep it as a wooden coaster, which seems to be very important to them and it will also keep it running great for a long time.

RMC has stated in an interview (I have no idea specifically which one but it's legit lol) that they are no longer doing topper track refurbs because they are too busy with larger projects. That could potentially change in the future as they increase project capacity but I'd be inclined to believe they'd just take on more large projects (custom/iron horse/t rex) than retracks.

^ Well I think my solution would definitely qualify as a big project. That's 6000 feet of topper track we're talking about and it would essentially be the same thing as an I-Box conversion project, as they would probably have to replace all the ledgers and make modifications to the structure.

^ Well I think my solution would definitely qualify as a big project. That's 6000 feet of topper track we're talking about and it would essentially be the same thing as an I-Box conversion project, as they would probably have to replace all the ledgers and make modifications to the structure.

Agreed. I just don't see HW doing any kind of changing of the layout, maybe not even any reprofiling. It'd be amazing if they could get topper track out to Voyage because I absolutely love this ride but as you said, it gets VERY rough later on in the season.

GCI, I think, is out of the picture. They have yet to really create anything even close to Voyage. But who knows, maybe they'd be willing to at least work on something that large. They obviously did an amazing job with Legend, but I'm afraid a refurb like that wouldn't last all too long because of how large and extreme Voyage is, if they were even willing to do anything to it.

RMC has stated in an interview (I have no idea specifically which one but it's legit lol) that they are no longer doing topper track refurbs because they are too busy with larger projects. That could potentially change in the future as they increase project capacity but I'd be inclined to believe they'd just take on more large projects (custom/iron horse/t rex) than retracks.

Interesting. I could still see them wanting to take a crack at one of the world's best wooden roller coasters, though. Either way, my guess is that ten years from now we'll still be hearing half praises and half complaining about how rough Voyage is.

Don't forget that there is another company out there in the Industry that does wood coaster refurbishments, and apparently did a pretty good job recently with a ride that was once great but had grown rough over the years....

And with RMC, it wouldn't surprise me if they got out of the conversion business in the near future once they start producing those all steel T-Rex/Raptor track rides. No idea what their business is like internally or what kind of profit they make on those conversion but you would think they would be more interested in new rides than conversions.

Depending on how aggressively they're interested in expanding, it can still be highly profitable and rewarding to keep business interests in both new coaster designs and refurbishment.

Don't forget that there is another company out there in the Industry that does wood coaster refurbishments, and apparently did a pretty good job recently with a ride that was once great but had grown rough over the years....

Absolutely. I just can't help but to be concerned that longevity will still be an issue, even if it's a lesser issue.

Sorry I didn't get any pics of it, I didn't have a phone charger on me in the park today and it died , I'll try to next time if someone hasn't already by that time. But anyway, I was going up to Jungle Racers when I heard sounds of construction. Climbing up the first flight, if you look straight out ahead, there's a fair sized clearing of trees in the middle of the woods. It's currently about the size of what Hallowswings would take up. However, they just recently started, I know, because I was there last week and there was nothing going on there.

Anyway, I think it'll be a water park attraction. Either that or maybe the screamscape new coaster rumor is true. They started in a very odd spot, in my opinion; in the middle of the woods. But they may be just starting there in an attempt to hide it. Anyway, just thought I'd share so let the speculation/madness begin

Voyage was down a good bit today, but I don't know why anyone is complaining about it being rough. Legend and Raven were both way rougher imo. Thunderbird is a load of fun, Raven is a super rough airtime machine, Legend is a rough ride with laterals out the wazoo, and Voyage is the smoothest woodie in the park that also has a ton of strong sustained floater airtime and a great pace. We got to ride everything in the front, everything but Legend in the back. Thunderbird we rode three times, and figured out that the front right is the best place to sit. We also spent a good bit of time at Splashin Safari. Wildebeest is my new #1 water ride and the third best ride in the park after Voyage and Thunderbird. Mammoth is also super fun and gets the #3 water ride spot after Dragon's Revenge at Schlitterbahn New Braunfels. We also tried the Otto slide in the Otosomething tower. It was pretty fun as well. Thunderbird may or may not end up placing stupidly high on my favorite coaster list just because of how fun it is.

Question about the Legend: the one thing that keeps getting repeated is how smooth the ending is now. Well of course it's smooth, it's brand new. I'm wondering, what happens in a few years when the new sections get that normal worn-in roughness that all wooden coasters get and suddenly the ride has no finale, will everyone still agree that it's a net positive? Normally you want to save the strongest forces for the end if possible, and that doesn't seem to be the case any more with the Legend.

The reprofiled parts of Legend were pretty smooth but the old parts were still running pretty rough. I'd say the lateral helix of death is actually a little too long for my liking. It's the second smoothest woodie at the park after Voyage imo, but that's mainly due to retracking. Meanwhile if you want a smooth ride at Holiday World, Thunderbird is sitting there waiting for your rides on it and it is the second best ride in the park. I loved this park, I definitely see it becoming a huge competitor in the market, especially with all their advertising in the St Louis and Louisville areas.

The reprofiled parts of Legend were pretty smooth but the old parts were still running pretty rough. I'd say the lateral helix of death is actually a little too long for my liking. It's the second smoothest woodie at the park after Voyage imo, but that's mainly due to retracking. Meanwhile if you want a smooth ride at Holiday World, Thunderbird is sitting there waiting for your rides on it and it is the second best ride in the park. I loved this park, I definitely see it becoming a huge competitor in the market, especially with all their advertising in the St Louis and Louisville areas.

I found it funny that while I was walking up the steps of that really large pod slide at kentucky kingdom (can't remember the name of it at the moment) I could see a Holiday World billboard in the distance.

I was going up to Jungle Racers when I heard sounds of construction. Climbing up the first flight, if you look straight out ahead, there's a fair sized clearing of trees in the middle of the woods. It's currently about the size of what Hallowswings would take up. However, they just recently started, I know, because I was there last week and there was nothing going on there.

Depends where that "clearing" is. Jungle Racers is pretty close to the campground property line so that may not be HW.

Question about the Legend: the one thing that keeps getting repeated is how smooth the ending is now. Well of course it's smooth, it's brand new. I'm wondering, what happens in a few years when the new sections get that normal worn-in roughness that all wooden coasters get and suddenly the ride has no finale, will everyone still agree that it's a net positive? Normally you want to save the strongest forces for the end if possible, and that doesn't seem to be the case any more with the Legend.

Yes it's smooth, but what makes it better for so many people is that they're not going to crack a rib due to those old flat turns anymore. Quite a few enthusiasts just don't like them. They also added airtime to those turns now which is part of the reason I like it better, plus it just feels a lot faster than it used to.

^ I didn't even think about that. It looked like HW property with how close it is but I guess they do run right up next to each other. Here's about where it was. This isn't exact, and it may have been further in one direction or another.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2a09f00979de7cf68e56c64175c4d6a.jpeg