TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

If you can only do one make it Holiday World. You can't miss the chance to get three world class wooden coasters under your belt. KK is fine. Storm Chaser and Lightning Run are great rides, but they don't hold a candle to overall experience at HW. Also, The Voyage dude.

Hey guys,

I am going to Kansas City and will be passing by Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. However, I only have time to go to one. Which would you all recommend? I am torn because I want to get on Storm Chaser (Wicked Cyclone is the only RMC I have been on), but Holiday World seemes to have a better overall coaster collection. Thoughts?

I was in the same situation where I had to choose Kentucky Kingdom or Holiday World last year. I decided to go to Holiday World and I didn't regret it one bit, the park is fantastic and it had a real charm to it. Kentucky Kingdom looks like a great park too and I'd love to visit it one day myself, but I'm glad I ended up visiting this park.

TR, I guess you could call it, wish I took pics. I was at the park today, and man you missed out if you weren't here! And I wasn't even in Holiwood Nights so I can't even imagine the crowds there. We rode everything we wanted to a ton all in just staying from 10AM-7PM. I've got to say, just like everyone else has for the most part, Legend is amazing with the new retrack. Although I did notice it had some funky shaping at the bottom of the first drop. It's nothing taking away from the ride, just weird. Voyage was fun as usual, but still pretty rough. I had a nerdgasm whenever I was waiting in line for Thunderbird when they had to transfer one train off because of some problem with row 3. I would've taken videos, but I left my phone with non-riders I'm telling ya, it was the most satisfying thing ever to watch that thing transfer off. Major nerd, I know. I really hope one train operations/breakdowns aren't a common thing this year, as I waited 15 minutes from the top of the stairs the first time. The second time was when it broke down, and someone lost their phone on the brake run (pay attention to rules! ). I waited 30 minutes behind 3 groups for them to transfer off, test, etc. I'm not sure what's going on this year, because last year I never saw it down for maintenance reasons or running without 2 trains. Either way, awesome day, including TONS of rides!

Total ride count

Thunderbird-2

Voyage-4

Legend-5

Liberty Launch-1

Rough Riders-1

Eagle's Flight-1

Gobbler Getaway-a solid 3000 I'd bet

Mayflower-1

Hallowswings-1

Frightful Falls-1

Raging Rapids-1

Wildebeest-2

Mammoth-1

Zinga-1

Zoombabwe (probably wrong spelling)-2

Bakuli-2

So, clearly, it was an awesome day at the park today! And hopefully Holiwood Nights was great! Hopefully I'll be able to go next year, as it looks like an awesome event.

Thank you all for your input! It seems like Holiday World is the best choice, weather permitting. Tykunkel, is there a reason you didn't get on The Raven?

Nope not really. It just wasn't what my group wanted to do at the time, as we have season passes and did Raven a bunch last visit. And if I can convince you to go to the waterpark, I like Wildebeest more than Raven it really is amazing. I haven't been a fan, like I have of Splashin' Safari, of any other waterpark. This one is really awesome. I highly recommend that if you do end up doing the waterpark, do it all first thing. Then you'll want to switch over to the dry park. Oh, and resist the temptation to ride anything in Halloween in the morning. If you go to 4th of July or Thanksgiving, they'll be completely dead. Then, if you come to Halloween around 3:00, everything is a complete walk on. Have fun on your trip!

Hi Ty! I was at the park yesterday,I was in the station for TBird as well when the train was taken off, glad we waited because it didn't take long to get things rolling again. I was so impressed by the cleanliness of the park , friendly employees and selection of rides. The water park was amazing especially Mammoth. I can't say enough good things about this place , absolutely incredible !

image.thumb.jpeg.cd2ae5b28dee89e0dd1db0dfa243e423.jpeg

My first Thunderbird ride!

Thank you all for your input! It seems like Holiday World is the best choice, weather permitting. Tykunkel, is there a reason you didn't get on The Raven?

Last ditch effort . . .

Tell them you have some important business to pick up at Kentucky kingdom and while you are handling it, they can go grab some food around the area. Drop you off, give you an hour and your business would be finish. Meanwhile, get in the park ride lightning run, head to storm chaser, do it like twice, head back to the front and ride lightning run again and leave!

It seems like the decision has been made to go to Holiday World! I will keep bringing up KK and hope they give in for a quick stop lol. I am actually going to Dollywood next week, so HOPEFULLY I can get my rmc fix then, but who knows.

A few takeaways from Holiwood Nights-

-We got extremely lucky with the weather. Stormed all day Saturday, leaving us stuck at the hotel until early evening, but completely clear Fri and Sat nights for ride time. High fives.

-THANK YOU Holiday World for taking the MCBs off of the Voyage during ride time. We got one ride in on Saturday during normal hours with the brakes on, and it goes without saying what a difference it makes to the last half of the ride when those are off. A million thanks!! Side note- the first half is running amazing. So smooth, so fast, so much air.

-The Legend- What a stark contrast between the GCI work and the original CCI track. There's literally no laterals anymore on the first drop, 'tunnel', and rise into the second hill. Seems a bit out of place on that ride, but it's hard to argue with how SMOOTH that section is now. So much more rideable. Same with the end of the ride- laterals are gone, but it still carries a fun punch into the brakes.

So I was snooping around Screamscape and somehow I think this went unnoticed by a lot of people..I know I missed it lol

2017 - New Attraction - Rumor - (4/22/16) A little birdie dropped off a message claiming that Holiday World is looking into adding yet another roller coaster to the park for the 2017 season. Of course after just opening Thunderbird last year and dropping $2 million on a major improvement project for Legend, this rumor makes me wonder if we might just be seeing a makeover to Voyage or Raven instead in 2017... but a new coaster is always a welcome addition.

Of course this is Screamscape, so take it with a grain of salt. If it were a huge addition, I think the teasing would have already started by this time.

For those of you who want to see a side by side POV of old Legend and new Legend, here ya go! Even if the first video starts before the second, notice how the new pov hits the break-run faster than the old POV.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_mNg3Jceg54&start1=43&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9spcFTH0LeQ&start2=13&authorName=

To whoever said they didn't plan on going to Splashin Safari on the first visit to the park ever: You will be INCREDIBLY sorry. There is not a water park in the world that has the level of water rides they do in Splashin Safari. You AT LEAST need to do Wildebeest, Mammoth, and maybe even a couple of the other pro slides. Splashin Safari is not even close to any other water mark. It's INCREDIBLY CLEAN! Which is a huge contrast alone to any other water park I've ever been in. The two water coasters rival (if not beat) a lot of other dry coasters at other parks. Splashin Safari has a way of changing people's ideas and misconceptions about water parks in general... It's a life changing experience almost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the reliability of thunderbird? How often does it break down. Since its a b&m launched coaster, how does it compare to intamin ones or other lsm launched coasters or regular chain lift coasters?

What is the reliability of thunderbird? How often does it break down. Since its a b&m launched coaster, how does it compare to intamin ones or other lsm launched coasters or regular chain lift coasters?

I've been to the park over 10 times since Thunderbird has opened. The most it has been down on a day that I went was 15 minutes. There is only 2 times that I can recall it being down while I was there. So to answer your question it is way more reliable than any Intamin. It is on par with other B&Ms.

They had a few problems last season when using the backup generators with either parts going out or them not giving the launch enough juice causing a rollback. I think it was only down one full day last year and I believe that was in early May. There were a couple of days it was down almost all day, but they got it open for the final few hours. They're using the flywheels this year and I don't think the ride has been down all year other than a few minor things that have been fixed relatively quickly. If you listen to the parks podcast, you know that Thunderbird hasn't had a single rollback so far this year. As far as I know, Thunderbird always operates with both trains. With all that considered, as the previous poster stated, it's on par with all other B&M coasters in terms of reliability.

We're leaving on our epic midwest coaster trip tomorrow and will be at Holiday World on Monday, June 13th. Any tips for approaching the park? I've heard its best to go the the waterpark first, but the dry park is open one hour before. So we're thinking we hit coasters (how will the lines be?) until 11am and then go to the waterpark for Wildebeest and Mammoth (and might reride these two if the lines aren't terrible). After that we'll probably go back and ride the coasters some more. We plan on taking advantage of the free drinks. Stuff like where to sit on the rides is also appreciated

We're leaving on our epic midwest coaster trip tomorrow and will be at Holiday World on Monday, June 13th. Any tips for approaching the park? I've heard its best to go the the waterpark first, but the dry park is open one hour before. So we're thinking we hit coasters (how will the lines be?) until 11am and then go to the waterpark for Wildebeest and Mammoth (and might reride these two if the lines aren't terrible). After that we'll probably go back and ride the coasters some more. We plan on taking advantage of the free drinks. Stuff like where to sit on the rides is also appreciated

Raven always has the longest line early in the morning since it's right by the entrance to the park, so if you want to hit the coasters first, start with Legend then make your way to Voyage and Thunderbird, and wait to hit Raven until after the water park opens. All the coaster wait times actually die down quite a bit once the water park opens, so if you're willing to wait a bit to ride them, you could also go straight to 4th of July at opening and ALL the flats there will be walk-ons. Get to the water park before rope drop and go STRAIGHT to Mammoth, as it consistently has the longest line in just about the whole park, then hit Wildebeest. From there the other slides never have terrible waits so feel free to go where you wish afterwards. Hope you have a great time!

I've also heard Raven runs much better after it's warmed up, so we might wait to hit it until after we do the waterpark.

also the new legend seriously hauls, that youtube doubler thing really shows how much speed it keeps that it didn't before, it just keeps getting farther and farther ahead of the old one

So I was snooping around Screamscape and somehow I think this went unnoticed by a lot of people..I know I missed it lol

2017 - New Attraction - Rumor - (4/22/16) A little birdie dropped off a message claiming that Holiday World is looking into adding yet another roller coaster to the park for the 2017 season. Of course after just opening Thunderbird last year and dropping $2 million on a major improvement project for Legend, this rumor makes me wonder if we might just be seeing a makeover to Voyage or Raven instead in 2017... but a new coaster is always a welcome addition.

Of course this is Screamscape, so take it with a grain of salt. If it were a huge addition, I think the teasing would have already started by this time.

For those of you who want to see a side by side POV of old Legend and new Legend, here ya go! Even if the first video starts before the second, notice how the new pov hits the break-run faster than the old POV.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_mNg3Jceg54&start1=43&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9spcFTH0LeQ&start2=13&authorName=

I've been curious as to why this is the only source of the rumor I've heard. I've not seen any discussion about it otherwise. So, unfortunately I'd say its not very likely for 2017. Also, thanks for that video link!

I would be shocked if HW got another coaster next year, but they are an amazing park, that already does a lot of things people wouldn't expect, so you never know! I'm planing on returning next year, regardless, so any addition they make, coaster or otherwise, would just be icing on the cake!