TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I thought last year there was a full moon out? I'm hearing (from the Holiwood Nights Facebook group) that there's going to be no moon during this year's event. Even with little light pollution from Thunderbird Plaza, I'm betting the spaghetti bowl might be just dark enough if the moon stays hidden.

Hi guys! So my first trip to Holiday World is thursday thanks to an agreement between Kings Island and Holiday world to let KI associates and a guest with them in for free, anyways, It would help me out tremendously if you guys had suggestions on what to hit first, and what to hit last. I plan on riding every coaster, Lines for those wont bother me as much as they do for disney...... I dont plan on going to the waterpark though, I might, but really dont plan on it. I also plan on staying a full day. After my trip from Disneyworld (for the first time) and Holiday world is complete I will add a Trip Report. Thanks guys!

Holy crap that looks smooth... can't wait to ride it later this summer!

Let me be clear. While the video looks smooth but it's still got an attitude to it. The retracked portions ride great but it will still kick you around when it wants to. The laterals are insane throughout.

Also, that video must have been filmed first thing in the morning with an empty train because it HAULS all the way through to the brakes.

Ok, it was not the moon, it was a light. Pointed at the track. Either there's (at least sometimes) a floodlight lighting up the spaghetti bowl or aliens are implanting memories in my mind.

There aren't any lights on the Voyage spaghetti bowl at all, and they even changed the camera light on the block brake to infared years ago. I did notice last year, however, that lights from Thuderbird's brake run were visible, and this is most likely what you saw.

My memory from last year is very faint light on The Voyage as well. Possibly the Thunderbird brake run, or the moonlight. But I certainly don't recall any floodlights! (Also, I got two untrimmed rides that trip! )

Ok, it was not the moon, it was a light. Pointed at the track. Either there's (at least sometimes) a floodlight lighting up the spaghetti bowl or aliens are implanting memories in my mind.

There aren't any lights on the Voyage spaghetti bowl at all, and they even changed the camera light on the block brake to infared years ago. I did notice last year, however, that lights from Thuderbird's brake run were visible, and this is most likely what you saw.

I can believe that. Regardless it was a lot more light than I was expecting, which was none at all.

The new POV looks good. I'm still a little disappointed by the changes but I'm at least convinced that it'll still be a top 5 ride for me when I go back.

The Voyage 1st year no lights at night in the rain. I thought I had gone to heaven. My wife on the other hand thought she had entered hell. Have not been on a roller coaster since.

I remember riding the Legend at the night the first year and agree with this. When we came up the lift hill and made the turn right before the drop, there was a full moon right in front of us. Then we hear the howl and plunge into darkness. Chilllllllssssss

Voyage - Holy flipping crap, greatest wooden coaster I've ever been on that's not an RMC. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. This ride is flat out nuckin' futs from beginning to end. Absolutely zero chance to breathe, never lets up on speed, has airtime and laterals out the yin yang, a bunch of tunnels, holy wow this thing is awesome! I had some people warn me that it'll beat me up but I didn't get that at all! We rode in the front and back throughout the day and never had any roughness issues. I know they've been working on retracking here and there so it seems that it's certainly helping because this coaster is a national treasure! I want to find the guys who engineered it and find out what magical powers they harnessed to make it run so fast all the way into the final brakes! They've clearly broken the rules of physics! I can't say enough good things about this ride. I love it. Love love love love LOVE it! Back row I felt was slightly better than the front but I think that's mainly because I was getting giddy watching the train snake through the course in front of us.

This made me smile. Love hearing someone fall in love with this ride the way I did. For the amount of complaining you hear about this ride, you'd think it was designed for the seventh layer of hell. Every time I hop in my magic seat- front row of the last car- I'm reminded how far the Voyage excels above any other traditional woodie. Sits right at the top of my favorites list with Outlaw Run and El Toro- I refuse to compare the three with each other, and decided that they all win 'best in show'. In regards to quantity of air, laterals, and sustained intensity though, Sinead said it best- "nothing compares...".

All this talk of night rides on Voyage has me so bummed to miss Holiwood Nights this year. Planned on it being my first one after visiting a few weeks too late a few years ago, but it looks like it's gonna wait until next year.

I dont plan on going to the waterpark though, I might, but really dont plan on it.

This is a mistake! Seriously, even if you just go for Mammoth and Wildebeest, check it out. Those two rides are better than half the coasters I've been on, no exaggeration.

We didn't make it to the water park on our first visit and I have regretted it sense. I at the very least am going to go in and do Wildabeast and Mammoth. I am hoping like most would for light crowds this Sunday.

Hey guys,

I am going to Kansas City and will be passing by Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom. However, I only have time to go to one. Which would you all recommend? I am torn because I want to get on Storm Chaser (Wicked Cyclone is the only RMC I have been on), but Holiday World seemes to have a better overall coaster collection. Thoughts?

We won't be going to the waterpark, and it is hard to turn down airtime . . . unfortunately there is someone in the group that doesn't ride coasters and Holiday World just seems like a nicer overall park. Tough decision! Thanks for the input so far.