TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Watching ThunderBird launching this afternoon and it looks like it is a bit slower than last year. Maybe I just don't remember last year so It may be doing fine.

Nice to see the launch without the generators. Maybe the flywheels are now fixed and working.

Watching ThunderBird launching this afternoon and it looks like it is a bit slower than last year. Maybe I just don't remember last year so It may be doing fine.

Nice to see the launch without the generators. Maybe the flywheels are now fixed and working.

Just watched it launch and it looks just as fast as last year.

Just watched it launch and it looks just as fast as last year.

Haven't watched it but it could be a little slow because it might be windy/cold.

^ It's nearly 60 degrees according to HW's website.

It looks normal to me. B&M is over the top in ensuring their rides run the way they designed them, which why you see them use trim breaks on so many of their rides. The train has to hit 60 mph at the end of that launch every time. The launch is always going to look slow, because of how heavy those trains are.

So I was doing a bit of research for a mini-summer vacation I'm planning on doing in June to the park. I knew the park was hosting ACE Coaster Con in June and was looking for what days the park is hosting the event (so I know what days to avoid) and during my research, I've discovered that The Raven is going to be getting an historical landmark plaque from ACE.

I just thought I'd pass that along.

Paula - I've listened to all three and I'm a HUGE fan! Very good format and every listen I was laughing right with you guys. I really makes everything you guys do have just that much more of the "human" factor to it. BTW, LOVE the game at the end, but I think you should maybe add another round, lol. Seemed kinda short on the last episode. I wouldn't worry about hitting one hour... you guys have so much to say and its so fun to listen to that the 45 min episodes really go by very very quickly! It leaves me wanting just a little bit more. Of course that could be a good thing... to keep people listening. It almost feels like your letting us fans get a sort of "fly on the wall" type experience with the stories you all tell! Keep up the great work!

Have any of you had a chance to check out The Official Holiday World Podcast? All three episodes are here: http://HolidayWorld.com/podcast (you can also subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, etc.)

We're eager for feedback, suggestions and questions - please use the hashtag #HoWoPo on social media. Thanks!

I'm biased, but I love the show. I love all the inside bits of info, ext. Now has a life long follower of HW, I can't help but think this podcast is going to be turned into a platform for teasers at some point.

Went to Holiday World for the first time last summer and had a great time. Maybe a silly question, but where do most of its visitors come from? Driving to Santa Claus from St. Louis it was pretty much nothing but open land for the last couple hours of the drive. Nevertheless, the park was PACKED when I was there.

Do a lot of people make day trips from the reasonably close metro areas (Louisville, Evansville) ? Do a good number actually come from further away and stay at the hotels? I felt like I was an anomaly visiting from NYC.

Went to Holiday World for the first time last summer and had a great time. Maybe a silly question, but where do most of its visitors come from? Driving to Santa Claus from St. Louis it was pretty much nothing but open land for the last couple hours of the drive. Nevertheless, the park was PACKED when I was there.

Do a lot of people make day trips from the reasonably close metro areas (Louisville, Evansville) ? Do a good number actually come from further away and stay at the hotels? I felt like I was an anomaly visiting from NYC.

A friend & I last summer made a 1 day trip to Holiday World from Sandusky last summer 6 and a half hour drive. Left at 6AM eastern and got there at 11:30AM central. Spent a little over 5 hours in the park, 6 laps on thunderbird first then we went to the front to do Raven, Legend, & Voyage in that order with Voyage being my 100th coaster. Left the park at 5pm arriving back at 12:45 eastern time. That was my first visit to the park and I loved it so much I wouldn't hesitate to take a trip like that again.

A friend & I last summer made a 1 day trip to Holiday World from Sandusky last summer 6 and a half hour drive. Left at 6AM eastern and got there at 11:30AM central. Spent a little over 5 hours in the park, 6 laps on thunderbird first then we went to the front to do Raven, Legend, & Voyage in that order with Voyage being my 100th coaster. Left the park at 5pm arriving back at 12:45 eastern time. That was my first visit to the park and I loved it so much I wouldn't hesitate to take a trip like that again.

Haha. Now that's commitment! You must've been exhausted.

Haha. Now that's commitment! You must've been exhausted.

It was exhausting but after knowing about the stellar Woodie collection for years Thunderbird sold the deal that we HAD to visit. Friendly Staff, awesome rides, even though we don't have nearly enough time to explore the whole park we thought Holiday World exceed all expectations and I can't wait to go back again this year!

So this photo was put on the parks FB yesterday and someone commented complaining how the dip was removed from the final turn and it was turned into a flat turn and then they went on to complain about the MCBR on The Voyage last year. Paula responded and said that he should give both another try this year. So does that mean the MCBR will be off this season on The Voyage? That's how I interpreted it, but I very well could be wrong.

12513933_10153595288569538_8333618784647174112_o.jpg

I experienced Voyage for the first time last summer when the MCBR was turned on and it still absolutely hauled a$$ the entire second half even after the near stop it came to at the MCBR... I can't imagine what it would be like without anyou brakes through the MCBR...

Last year was my first visit to Holiday World. I rode The Voyage with and without the MCBR. It is faster, wilder, and more fun with it off but it's also more brutal. I really enjoyed it both ways and was glad it was off most of the time because if it wasn't, I don't know that I could have ridden it 27 times in two days. But this is still an argument that many people are going to beat into the ground well after it has already been beaten into the ground time and time again.

Back to Legend...

Only about 30 days until opening, and the Legend drop has NO signs of being tracked. Is it possible that the coaster will not open when the season begins?? I don't know how long it takes to lay the wood, but with such a short time, I'm beginning to doubt Legend will be ready and fully tested.

Just my $.02 worth.

^ Good question. I'm not sure how much testing they need to do but I'm sure it's not nearly as much as a brand new coaster because, as far as we know, it's just the track that's changing. No brand new control panel to test thoroughly and work out the kinks or anything like that. Either way it seems like they need to start laying track soon on the drop if they're going to have a chance at it being open when the park opens.

Seems that Lightning Rod made people paranoid, haha.

I'm sure it'll be open on time. If not, well, guess you'll just be stuck with The Raven, The Voyage, and Thunderbird. Woe is you.

Back to Legend...

Only about 30 days until opening, and the Legend drop has NO signs of being tracked. Is it possible that the coaster will not open when the season begins?? I don't know how long it takes to lay the wood, but with such a short time, I'm beginning to doubt Legend will be ready and fully tested.

Just my $.02 worth.

Assuming GCI engineered the physics of the ride correctly, it should be pretty easy to attach a few new sensors and flip the power switch back on. Hopefully it won't run into any problems but testing shouldn't take that long compared to a new coaster.

I'm not too worried. HW has never missed an opening day with an attraction. It looks like they're putting the top steel down on the return section. The track on the drop won't take them as longs as you would think. My guess would be that they'll have the ride opened on time, but the themed tunnel may not be done until sometime in May.