TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Paula just said on the Holiwood Nights FB page that The Gravity Group and GCI both put a bid in on the project, but GCI can do both the engineering and offer a team to get the work done while TGG only offers engineering. So this is why they went with GCI. With it being this late in the off-season, I'd say it would have been hard to get the amount of contractors/carpenters together to get the project done by opening day if they went with TGG.

I am super excited about everything they are doing! I can't wait until next season!

These videos with Leah and Lauren always make me happy because you can see how much they love the park and the coasters.

I have never listened to a Podcast before, but I will have to learn how to so I can listen to Holiday World podcasts.

I am super excited about everything they are doing! I can't wait until next season!

These videos with Leah and Lauren always make me happy because you can see how much they love the park and the coasters.

I have never listened to a Podcast before, but I will have to learn how to so I can listen to Holiday World podcasts.

Everytime I see those girls talking I see and hear so much of their dad in them. I got to meet them at the Thunderbird media preview and they have his energy, heart, vision, and intelligence. So yea I too like when they are featured in videos and holiblog posts. I'm sure we will get to hear from them in the upcoming podcast too. And hopefully Matt as well. It's weird because he isn't technically a member of the Koch family, but meeting and interacting with him, you would never know the difference. They have a perfect storm of leadership, which is why this podcast excited me because it will be more opportunity to look in on that and see/hear the excitement and vision they have.

Well... my favorite part of the ride is getting completely changed... so obviously I'm a little bit nervous. But the double down is good news and if the other turns stay the same, then even if we lose one moment of super-harsh laterals the ride will still be a gem.

If the modifications GCI did for Boulder Dash are anything to go by, this will only plus the ride. It is nice to see Holiday World paying such attention to its existing rides (and not investing in gimmicks like slapping an inversion on an already-rough ride like Mount Olympus did with Hades), taking the time to plus the coasters and lengthen their service life. It is a very smart investment on their part!

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I've had friends mention before that that creeper hill between the helix and the last couple turns was a needed break from the laterals. I always felt that it was a bit sluggish and broke up the pacing. This rehab sounds like another win for HW.

More subtle change than I expected, which is a good thing. It is very refreshing to see a park invest so much on a yearly basis to maintain their wooden coasters, which most parks neglect and eventually tear down. GCI is very good at these jobs and I imagine this rehab being well-done. I'm also glad they avoided adding an inversion as I feel an RMC with 2-3 inversion is the most logical next step for HW.

Love to have ownership and management that *GET IT* - as in, investing in maintenance and enhancements that improve the guest experience is completely worthwhile - especially when you're trying to build a sustainable, multi-generational business.

I shudder to think what a major chain park would have done with the Legend or Voyage by now... aside from ignoring them, watching them become unrideable, and MAYBE turning them over to RMC a decade later.

Great stuff from Holiday World.

If the modifications GCI did for Boulder Dash are anything to go by, this will only plus the ride. It is nice to see Holiday World paying such attention to its existing rides (and not investing in gimmicks like slapping an inversion on an already-rough ride like Mount Olympus did with Hades), taking the time to plus the coasters and lengthen their service life. It is a very smart investment on their part!

That is a very good point....I always liked the trick track on Boulder Dash, until I rode it after the reprofiling then I realized how wrong I was. In the case of legend where the double down is going I realized that is the one part even after a large amount of rides that I have no memory of, so the change will be welcomed.

Oh wait now I remember now that is was the part of the ride that gave you a breather from insane double helix... that is going to be nuts!!

Just a couple more bits of info. Someone asked on FB if they were going to be designing all the laterals out of The Legend and Paula responded and said that they should know the park better than that. But, Paula also said on the HWN FB page that the coaster cats were modifying the PTC cars on The Legend so they can articulate more (see this

to see what I'm talking about) which can only me one thing, higher banking. Now it could only be limited to the turn they're lowering, but I did notice all of the track was missing from where the double down was going to the brake-run. So that is something to keep an eye on.

But, Paula also said on the HWN FB page that the coaster cats were modifying the PTC cars on The Legend so they can articulate more (see this
to see what I'm talking about) which can only me one thing, higher banking.

It doesn't mean that at all. Let's not assume any other part of the ride is changing (beyond retracking) until we get real evidence otherwise. That one turn is getting lowered and the radius widened, and yes the banking will have to increase due to the higher speed, but that only applies to that one turn.

What's weird to me is that section they're changing isn't really a dead spot. Yes nothing much happened there but as others have mentioned, it gave you a break after the intense onslaught of the double helix and it set you up psychologically for the crazy turns that followed. The real dead spot on Legend is basically everything between the airtime hill following the giant spiraling drop and the helix. There's a lot of wasted track there and it surprises me that's not the part getting the double down.

Edited by neil009

Helping a train articulate more isn't always just to accommodate additional banking. Increasing the train's ability to articulate helps reduce the shuffling in the corners (which I'm sure Legend does quite a bit) which helps reduce the friction acting on the wheels. This, in turn, allows the train to hold its momentum for a longer period of time, and, presumably, have a stronger finish.

Wow, this is great news about Legend. I am visiting the park for the first time this year, and I'm not going to lie, I was a little worried that the woodies may have deteriorated a bit since their prime, and hearing that Legend is having major work done along with Voyage getting even more work done this offseason really excites me. I am confident that these coasters will ride just as well as they did in their heyday!

Quite happy to hear Legend getting some heavy TLC, let alone modifications to it! Not entirely sure about the ride experience now being relentless from first drop to the end, but I'm sure it'll be much more memorable. It was my favorite coaster the first year I went to Holiday world!