TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

From the article:

Which direction was Will moving before he died? The answer they found was in their father’s dream of a steel coaster, and “we all agreed beforehand a wing coaster was the way to go—that was probably what Dad had been waiting for without even knowing it,” Leah says, due to its ability to mimic the smooth, graceful movements of a hang glider.

Bless their hearts for going with the Wing Coaster rather than a Flyer.

But just imagine thunderbird's launch in the Flying position, into a pretzel loop.

From the article:

Which direction was Will moving before he died? The answer they found was in their father’s dream of a steel coaster, and “we all agreed beforehand a wing coaster was the way to go—that was probably what Dad had been waiting for without even knowing it,” Leah says, due to its ability to mimic the smooth, graceful movements of a hang glider.

Bless their hearts for going with the Wing Coaster rather than a Flyer.

But just imagine thunderbird's launch in the Flying position, into a pretzel loop.

I am. I get the feeling that it might suck if you're a dude (the launch).

^While a flying coaster could be amazing, I am really happy that they chose a wing coaster. First, I think that it is much more "family friendly" (even if it's just less scary looking to younger riders). Second, wing coasters provide a much larger feeling of freedom in terms of their restraints and views. Besides, that ending through-the-barn element is really cool.

Now because this is a coaster enthusiast site, so that means we always know what's best for a park...

I think a kiddie/family coaster would be something fantastic to add. It could replace the Howler or be in addition to it. What kind of kiddie/family coaster do you think would be best for the park? I really think they could do well with almost any type, but I would either like to see something like Firechaser Express (even if it's a smaller version of the ride) or one of the new inverted Vekoma family coasters.

Finally, I was unfortunately unable to make it to the park this year (I live in the Catch 22 of getting to go to HW for free because of my job but also having to work so much for my job that I don't get time to actually go), so I had a general question: How was HWN this year compared to years in the past. I'm sure it was a great event as always, but I didn't know if there were a lot more attendees. Piggybacking off of that...I've spent a lot of money on different live/silent auction items in the past few years (I just can't help myself). Some of my purchases are basically commemorative and designed to be hung on a wall, but most are not. Have any of you found clever things to do with your auction items? Here's what I've done:

1. Old tire from the Lewis & Clark Trail - Turned it into a picture frame with a bunch of smaller (some cut down a bit) pictures from our HW trips in the past. A frame store did it real nice with a high quality matte and even doing a 3D effect when mounting the photos.

2. Test Dummy Thigh - I got it signed by a lot of the iconic HW management, as well as some of the coaster cats. Because it has two holes in it, I was able to make a mount to hang it on a wall fairly easily. It's definitely a conversation piece!

3. A seat back and a few cut out numbers & the Wildebeest name from one of the rafts - The seat back worked great in college for sitting up and studying in bed, but I can't figure out what to do with the numbers/name cut outs. Any suggestions?

4. A damaged 'running board' from a Voyage car - I'm really trying to figure out how to best use this one. I could always just mount it on the wall, but I was trying to find at least a couple other cool options first.

With all of this stuff being in places around my dad's house, he wants me to find a good place for the Voyage piece before I can bring any other big theme park pieces in (which was one of the terms of our agreement when he reluctantly said I could keep one of the old boats from SFSL's Scooby-Doo dark ride in our garage). What do you guys think?

EDIT: Looking back, that was a lot of random stuff and questions in one post, so I apologize for the constant subject changes.

Edited by HWFan

Still betting on the Voyage getting the Hades Barrel Roll.

If the new element is something to do with the track itself, then it has to be happening to the Legend. That's where all the activity is. I doubt it'll be anything that extensive. That would require all new trains and everything. Just my opinion.

If you check the projects page on PTC's website, you'll see that Voyage has its current cars at the shop for refurb, so it's unlikely we'll see any layout changes to it (or a new set of PTCI-360s. I'm still convinced they would be great for Voyage). I've been checking the webcams pretty often, and I haven't seen a single bit of work done on Legend since the track on the first drop was ripped out. Whatever is being done doesn't seem to be quite as extensive as the teaser might have implied, but then again there's still 4 months until the season starts so I could be wrong. Still curious as to what that "new element" is.

Also, Paula hinted in a Facebook comment that we could be seeing what's new for 2016 tomorrow, so keep an eye out.

I seriously seriously doubt we will see any completely new coasters of any type this year. I'd bet $100 on it. Heck, I'd bet my entire life savings. Now a rework of an existing coaster I could see. The thing with trying to spot what's going on on the webcam is that The Voyage is do friggen long that the work could be in a place that the webcam can't see. And all three are so much build into the woodland that there are good portions of each of the coasters we can't see unless we were in the park ourselves due to the tree cover. It may be a smaller change than what we thought, but I imagine it's large enough to get more than a few of us excited for spring!

After thinking about what they might be doing, this is my prediction:

While I was looking at the video, I kept thinking why the hell would they be stripping down The Legend's trains to freshen them up? PTC just did a rehab on both trains last year. Then they posted the reverse POV of The Legend, which was a bit curious. Then they stripped the drop of the track which would probably be one of the rougher parts, if they were to run the trains backwards in terms of forces exerted on the riders. So I guess what I'm getting at is that I think they're going to be running The Legend Backwards this upcoming season. I didn't think they would do it in a million years, but Six Flags is having a good amount of success with the whole backwards thing. It is a inexpensive way to draw people in especially after coming off a year where you spent 22 million on a single project and the two of the parks surrounding you are adding new coasters.

I can only imagine how crazy Legend backwards would be. I almost shudder at the thought to be honest, but then again if they're doing a bunch of trackwork maybe I wouldn't need to worry. Wouldn't Holiday World need to put headrests on the Legend trains though in order to make them go backwards?

Also, in my excitement of the Facebook comment discovery, I might have misread the comment, and what's coming tomorrow actually might just be a CLUE as opposed to the real announcement. We'll see.

I had been thinking about the possibility of them running The Legend backwards next season, but decided that would be way too obvious. Not long after I had thought about the possibility, they posted a video of The Legend backwards. I think they posted the video to throw us off, and also because it is a cool video. I noticed they have a video of a rear facing view of The Voyage and Thunderbird on their youtube account too.

If they are going to extend the Splashin Safari entrance more, then they might be working near the part of The Legend that goes near Splashin Safari. The Legend also goes extremely close to the campground, so the might change something in that section. It goes right behind The Legend cabins, would a tunnel there make it less noisy for campers? Also, at least 3 of the slides in Splashin Safari, plus Frightful Falls are kind of weaved into The Legend, so they might be changing something about that. Those slides seem kind of wedged back in the corner now that Splashin Safari is being expanded, so maybe they will get moved or taken out, and changes made to The Legend related to that.

I think they could move the legends drop further away because in that ten year design plan it looks like the red line is a train that goes from Halloween to thanksgiving and it goes between legend and frightful falls a and they are making room to fit it through there.

Legend, as it now terrifies me as a backwards coaster. The ride is already hard on your body because of all the lateral Gs so going backwards through those parts would probably make it worse because you wouldn't be able to anticipate those turns quite as well.

That being said, if they were to renovate those turns to make the lateral forces less "destructive" and make the overall ride smoother than I can totally jump on the backwards train idea and I can totally see Holiday World doing it especially since, like another commenter said, Six Flags has seen a great deal of success with the backwards trains.

Legend, as it now terrifies me as a backwards coaster. The ride is already hard on your body because of all the lateral Gs so going backwards through those parts would probably make it worse because you wouldn't be able to anticipate those turns quite as well.

That being said, if they were to renovate those turns to make the lateral forces less "destructive" and make the overall ride smoother than I can totally jump on the backwards train idea and I can totally see Holiday World doing it especially since, like another commenter said, Six Flags has seen a great deal of success with the backwards trains.

I can agree with this. Thunderation had backwards cars for several years (and SDC is a better analogue for HW than Six Flags is), and they were quite popular. I don't think I personally would want to ride Legend backwards though. I took my first ride on it in the dark, and the dark there is so dark I couldn't see a thing. I didn't like it at all. It wasn't until I went back the next morning when I could see where I was going that I liked the coaster. With significant changes to the layout, backwards could be fun. But not on the current layout.

I can agree with this. Thunderation had backwards cars for several years (and SDC is a better analogue for HW than Six Flags is), and they were quite popular. I don't think I personally would want to ride Legend backwards though. I took my first ride on it in the dark, and the dark there is so dark I couldn't see a thing. I didn't like it at all. It wasn't until I went back the next morning when I could see where I was going that I liked the coaster. With significant changes to the layout, backwards could be fun. But not on the current layout.

Oh didn't know SDC ever ran Thunderation backwards... I agree they are a much better analogue than Six Flags!