TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

So wait, I'm still confused.... Is it ok or not for me to be a Holiday World fanboy? Lol oh well I'm gonna be a fanboy anyway. Sure I can be a bit biased sometimes, but largely I'm being quite truthful and unbiased.

The problem comes when Holiday World announces they're building a B&M wing coaster and somebody says they're less than thrilled with that and you explode at them like they insulted your mother.

I don't believe I've ever done that.

Sorry I was just commenting on fanboyism in general

Okay so as you all were talking about PP/ Giraffica and it got me thinking about an old topic... How did they repay HW? Now the simple answer would be with money, which could explain why HW is able to invest in so many big projects, but I just think HW is good with saving money. If you all remember, there were several years of small investments like safari SAMs splashland, so on those years it would be easy to save a significant amount of money. So I want to think a little deeper as to what Intamin could give. They could offer a large discount on a new coaster, whether it be a family coaster, a kiddie coaster, a giga or maybe even a pre fab woodie. Now I could see this being a deal that gets put in place so HW can launch themselves even further into the top ten best parks. Another option could be an Intamin drop tower... Now this could be doubtful, but it would give HW a much needed thrill ride to add to the back half of the park, and could also fill the gap of the PP being gone. Or we could receive a giga and a drop tower on it

^ To be fair to Holiday World, even years where it seems like "smaller investments" happen, the overall investment really isn't that small. For 2011, while they did add Safari Sam's Splashland and the new kiddie ride, they also added new restrooms, changing rooms, more lockers, significantly improved large sections of the parking lot, and built a huge indoor dining area for Plymouth Rock Cafe. While I agree with the overall "spend less some years to save up for big rides other years" point you're making, Holiday World seems to always invest pretty heavily in infrastructure & things for Guest comfort. That's one of the things that keeps them on their A-game.

I don't think HW will get a coaster from Intamin. They probably don't have a great relationship and HW likes reliable coasters. They can't afford to make a huge investment in another Intamin and then have it not work. They aren't in a big chain where they can easily recover from one failed ride. Intamin hasn't done a whole lot with coasters in the US this past couple of years and their rides have had some major problems like Falcons Fury, I305, and Skyrush. I think HW would rather play it safe and get their next coaster from B&M, RMC, or Mack. In a magazine article back in August it sounds like they will get a steel and a wooden coaster in the next 10 years. I think the wooden will be a RMC and the steel a B&M or possibly a Mack coaster similar to Alpina Blitz and Storm.

^Interesting read. I've figured a theater was on their mind for quite some time. Not only with the success of their yearly Christian Rock show but also with how their daily in-park shows have grown and improved over the last couple of years. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with in terms of shows to regularly fill any new theater space without taking away from Hoosier Celebration Theater....unless they get rid of that theater altogether.

Way way way back in the day they had some Chinese acrobatic show. It was a really cool show(of course I was a kid back then) but it would be cool to see them bring something like that back. It was kinda like the Chinese version of Cirque.

EDIT: Here is a link to a video showing part of the show. It's from Holiday Worlds video vault. The video is part of a series that was made way back then to help promote the park so this segment starts with the Thunder Bumpers. The Chinese acrobats start around 1:50 in.

Those performers really were amazing. But I bet the expense for a show like that is crazy high. My brothers and sisters and I still always talk about that show when we go to the park.

Those performers really were amazing. But I bet the expense for a show like that is crazy high. My brothers and sisters and I still always talk about that show when we go to the park.

Ring of fire and knives?! The balls needed to preform that are not longer allowed to be manufactured that big.

Lol, I know right? It really was quite amazing watching them. And I was 9 at the time this video was taken so it even seemed more crazy... But even watching it now at 35 I'm just thinking... Umm NO... Makes me nervous watching lol. If I remember correctly they ran that show for a couple of seasons at least. But yea I'd love to see them bring this or something like it back. If they build a new bigger theater they could really put on an amazing show I bet!

I don't think HW will get a coaster from Intamin. They probably don't have a great relationship and HW likes reliable coasters. They can't afford to make a huge investment in another Intamin and then have it not work. They aren't in a big chain where they can easily recover from one failed ride. Intamin hasn't done a whole lot with coasters in the US this past couple of years and their rides have had some major problems like Falcons Fury, I305, and Skyrush. I think HW would rather play it safe and get their next coaster from B&M, RMC, or Mack. In a magazine article back in August it sounds like they will get a steel and a wooden coaster in the next 10 years. I think the wooden will be a RMC and the steel a B&M or possibly a Mack coaster similar to Alpina Blitz and Storm.

During the walking tour at this year's holliwood nights I was talking to one of holiday worlds big wigs and he said they would never buy from intamin again. Shame too a mega lite would be awesome for holiday world.

During the walking tour at this year's holliwood nights I was talking to one of holiday worlds big wigs and he said they would never buy from intamin again. Shame too a mega lite would be awesome for holiday world.

Yeah I figured after the PP problems they wouldn't go with Intamin

I wouldn't be surprised if HW gets one. They like to be the first to get/do something. This would be a good fit for the park and would draw people from all over. This would get them closer to their goal of becoming a destination.

^^I feel like Six Flags would be more likely to pick up a new RMC coaster concept than a family owned park like Holiday World, given their significant existing relationship with RMC and their penchant for investing in new concept coasters as major draws for their parks.

Wow! I had never seen it before. I came across it while reading about the Santa Claus Museum. This is a version of their 10 year master plan a few years ago. I know a lot of things have changed since then, and they are working with a different company now, but this was still very interesting.

I can't stop looking at this! Some of the things I see: Lots of amazing Christmas theming! A very cool building across from Kringle's Cafe. Looks like some kind of circus tent with a ferris wheel by Holidog's Fun Town. A pioneer village with a covered bridge. I think I see Thuderbird was going to be in a location right next to the Voyage. Extending the Splashin Safari entrance (which they have done part of). A second lazy river. Possibly a small wooden coaster in Thanksgiving? The employee lot moved across the road. I think it shows a building covering the area of the Sparkler, carousel, and basketball game. The old fashion cars are gone or moved.

http://www.u-studios.net/holiday-world.php

I know these things are just ideas and what actually happens could have changes, and might be totally different. But still very cool and exciting.

Holiwood Nights has a Ferris Bueller theme. Is that a clue of a FERRIS wheel?

When I was scouring the town of Santa Claus's website a while back, I noticed something that kinda made me raise an eyebrow, but now it makes sense. When I was looking at the town board APA group minutes for May of 2014, which is when they got the approval to start the footings for Thunderbird, I noticed that it said that the project (they never said what they were building) was an altercation to the masterplan presented to board previously.

I love the idea of a lazy river people mover. I thought about a possible lazy river people mover up to Hyena Falls over the summer because it is such a long walk. I thought Hyena Falls might be too far away to extend the current lazy river, and the lazy river would have to go up a slight incline. But I am sure they could make it work if they wanted to. They might make a second lazy river near hyena falls. The walk to Hyena Falls seems far, but if they add more things around it, it wouldn't be so bad. The way the bathrooms are situated, it seems like they are planning on adding something on the other side. I know the kid's bumper boats were going to go there, but not sure if that was delayed or canceled. I have a 2014 map that shows them being there.

When I was in Santa Claus a few weeks ago I looked at the area by Holidog's Fun Town. This was way before I had found the link I posted yesterday, I had just seen something on the Spencer county GIS that put my attention on the area. There was some evidence of work going on in that area, but it could have just been maintenance. It was basically just a pile of gravel, and a small machine to spread it out. Were they using the gravel to maintain the current service road, or were they building a new road, or something else? I don't know. I took pictures, but they are not that interesting. I was so distracted by Holiday World, I forgot to look at what was going on across the street.

I went by Holiday World again last week and they had gone through one of the piles of wood in the parking lot. After I drove by, I went to Santa's Candy Castle. After leaving the Candy Castle, I drove around the back side of Holiday World, but it was too dark to see anything at that point. I doubt I will be driving through Santa Claus again before next season. Can't wait for them to give more info on what they are up to!

From the article:

Which direction was Will moving before he died? The answer they found was in their father’s dream of a steel coaster, and “we all agreed beforehand a wing coaster was the way to go—that was probably what Dad had been waiting for without even knowing it,” Leah says, due to its ability to mimic the smooth, graceful movements of a hang glider.

Bless their hearts for going with the Wing Coaster rather than a Flyer.