TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Other than that, I would love a 2nd Entrance for Splashin Safari like Kings Island from the Parking Lot

Considering that Splashin' Safari is nowhere near the parking lot (plus Raven and Legend are in the way), I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

If they had an Entrance near Hyena Falls They could turn the Employee Lot into a Splashin' Safari Lot and have an entrance there. And move the employee lot across the street. Or reconfigure the parking lots in another way.

Other than that, I would love a 2nd Entrance for Splashin Safari like Kings Island from the Parking Lot

Considering that Splashin' Safari is nowhere near the parking lot (plus Raven and Legend are in the way), I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

Couldn't they have a second lot on that side of the park with an entrance there? Anyone could access it, but it would make a lot of sense for people just visiting Splashin Safari or those who don't want to drag their water park gear across the park later. If I went back to my car in the afternoon to get my bathing suit and towels I would definitely consider moving over to the other lot.

Couldn't they have a second lot on that side of the park with an entrance there? Anyone could access it, but it would make a lot of sense for people just visiting Splashin Safari or those who don't want to drag their water park gear across the park later. If I went back to my car in the afternoon to get my bathing suit and towels I would definitely consider moving over to the other lot.

Until Hyena Falls was added I think it would have been a lot harder to add a new lot for a Splashin' Safari only entrance because Lake Rudolph Campground would have been in the way. Splashin' Safari was bordered by the campground, The legend, The Voyage and a wooded area that wouldn't work for a parking lot. The Hyena Falls addition extended Splashin' Safari out past The Voyage and now it borders on an area that could be configured into a new parking lot and entrance more easily. It would be on the opposite side from the regular entrance.

I really like the idea of a Splashin' Safari only entrance. I have been thinking maybe they would move the entrance in the future, but I hadn't thought about the idea of a second entrance.

Edited by iheartHW

Speaking of parking lots, I just thought about something. A few weeks ago I was buying my Platinum Season Pass online. I was trying to decide if I should pick the option to renew my pass or get a new one. I figured I would need a new one since the Platinum Pass is new, but since it was giving me the option to renew I read the information about renewing to help decide which option to pick. The info was outdated and was about renewing a 2014 pass for 2015, and it had a paragraph about adding parking fees to a season pass. I was a little worried for a minute, but thankfully there was no other mention of parking fees during checkout. I am thinking it was possibly generic info added by the company that designed the checkout system. But it made me wonder if they might charge for parking in the future. Or maybe have free parking with section of premium parking with a fee. I know they need to pave their lots and expand them and that is ridiculously expensive, but I really appreciate the free parking and hope it stays free. I would rather the ticket price go up than pay for parking. The free perks are a big part of Holiday World and I doubt they are going to change that.

So I was looking through the website getting ready to purchase my ticket for Happy Halloween Weekends and I came across the animation of what the corn maze design is going to be this year. Can't wait to see the pictures of this thing from up in the air!

Speaking of Happy Halloween Weekends, I'm going on October 10th. For those who have been, has it been crowded? I know when they first started the event, they only advertised it at a local level, but I have a feeling that like most things HW does, it has probably turned out more successful than they probably ever anticipated. I know it will be even harder to predict this year with Thunderbird, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what the crowds will be like. Unfortunately, this the one time of year that I've always wanted to visit, but due to one thing or another, I've not been able to yet. After seeing all the pictures of Thunderbird under construction last fall, I've made it a top priority to get to the park in October this year. Any help would be appreciated!

^ I've been the last two years, crowds were greater last year than the year previous, but still manageable. Expect 30 minute waits , on the main attractions. I'm sure it will be a little more crowded this year due to Thunderbird and word of mouth. It's a great family event, so expect a decent crowd, but not like a busy Saturday in the Park. Make sure and check out Holidogs 3-D Adventure, Carnival Chaos, the Corn Maze, Graveyard Smash and the Laser Show that ends the night. All rides are open except Raging Rapids, The Legend and I noticed this year that the Revolution isn't listed as open. It had been the last 2 years as Resurrection, maybe something is wrong with it this year. You should be able to get everything in and get some rerides in. I'm sure you'll have a great time and make sure to get a night ride on Thunderbird, it's fantastic in the dark.

I second what was said above. I tried it for the first time last year. Ignoring Thunderbird for a moment, the halloween walkthroughs and mazes they had last year were pretty neat, and the corn field maze seemed to go on forever. That mixed with the fall foliage makes it worth going out and seeing. I'm also sure crowds will be a little bigger this year than it was last year.

^ Since we don't allow cameras on coasters, it was a bit of a twitchy situation. Originally, he posted his on-ride photo (taken by the park) on Twitter; our RT caught the attention of the media. It was only then that the video popped up - including the ride op's voice asking them to put the phone away. The groom-to-be has since added a note of apology to the description on his YouTube post, which we appreciate.

Oh wow, this really is a bit of a awkward situation for the park. You want to share it, but you can't. Now local news stations across the country are wanting to share it. It's almost like the Avicii video HW is in...It's probably their most viewed cameo appearance, but they can't share it because the footage in the video is illegal. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is the video.

(watch it all the way through)

^ I've been the last two years, crowds were greater last year than the year previous, but still manageable. Expect 30 minute waits , on the main attractions. I'm sure it will be a little more crowded this year due to Thunderbird and word of mouth. It's a great family event, so expect a decent crowd, but not like a busy Saturday in the Park. Make sure and check out Holidogs 3-D Adventure, Carnival Chaos, the Corn Maze, Graveyard Smash and the Laser Show that ends the night. All rides are open except Raging Rapids, The Legend and I noticed this year that the Revolution isn't listed as open. It had been the last 2 years as Resurrection, maybe something is wrong with it this year. You should be able to get everything in and get some rerides in. I'm sure you'll have a great time and make sure to get a night ride on Thunderbird, it's fantastic in the dark.

I second what was said above. I tried it for the first time last year. Ignoring Thunderbird for a moment, the halloween walkthroughs and mazes they had last year were pretty neat, and the corn field maze seemed to go on forever. That mixed with the fall foliage makes it worth going out and seeing. I'm also sure crowds will be a little bigger this year than it was last year.

Thanks for the insight/help!

I am normally not a corn maze person (I like to look at the designs, but usually don't like to walk through them). I went through the corn mazes at Holiday World yesterday. The views of Thunderbird from the mazes are really cool. I am glad that I decided to go check them out (even though it started raining while I was in the maze). I totally recommend checking them out if you have time. Or at least ride the hay ride over to the mazes for the view of Thunderbird from the cornfield. I wish I had a chance to take more pictures. This is a quick picture I took right before the rain started. Luckily it didn't rain too bad. It was a very fun day and I can't wait to go back again next weekend!

cornmazethunderbird.thumb.jpg.277619cf7be22409c5fbd42ee0fe695f.jpg

Oh wow, this really is a bit of a awkward situation for the park. You want to share it, but you can't. Now local news stations across the country are wanting to share it. It's almost like the Avicii video HW is in...It's probably their most viewed cameo appearance, but they can't share it because the footage in the video is illegal. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is the video.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get the video to load. Any ideas?

For whatever reason I can't seem to get the video to load. Any ideas?

EDIT: got it to work. I wonder since this is a big name artist that I'm sure uses a production company, if they didn't have permission and special equipment involved to shoot those parts of the video. I could see HW(or the other parks in the video) being sworn by contract to not reveal it was their park in the video. Also I believe copyright would maybe prevent them from sharing the video themselves through social media. Just an idea. I just don't see an artist as big as this doing something illegal to shoot a small piece of their video and risk the repercussions. Just a thought.

^ the entire video was basically him filming his "adventures". I'm pretty confident most of it was self-produced (as far as gathering footage goes). The HW clips appear to be filmed with a handheld GoPro. Also, I don't see any reason why HW would be "sworn not to reveal its their park." It's the equivalent to product placement (if it was captured properly, of course).

^^ Oh, heavens - nothing nearly as intriguing as all that.

The person who produced that music video is Rory Kramer, who is originally from Indiana (I Googled it). The footage was shot without our knowledge or permission. Sorry to burst your bubble that the recording artist shot the footage himself or even appeared in the video.

And since we're on the subject, I will implore all who read this to please obey all park safety rules. We're not trying to be jerks; we're trying to keep everyone safe.

^^ Oh, heavens - nothing nearly as intriguing as all that.

The person who produced that music video is Rory Kramer, who is originally from Indiana (I Googled it). The footage was shot without our knowledge or permission. Sorry to burst your bubble that the recording artist shot the footage himself or even appeared in the video.

And since we're on the subject, I will implore all who read this to please obey all park safety rules. We're not trying to be jerks; we're trying to keep everyone safe.

Wow, that is a bummer. I would hope people would understand why such rules exist and follow them. I certainly understand why such rules are there and I GREATLY appreciate it!

2 quick questions. Hoping to get to HW this Sunday. How have the crowds been on Sundays, what can I expect? 2nd question... besides the $29.99 online ticket price, is there anywhere in the area to find discounted tickets cheaper than the $29.99 tickets?