TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

This is especially frustrating after my experience working at Cedar Point, where we wait until AFTER the park has officially closed to chain off the lines so that every guest can end their day with one last awesome ride.

I just want to state once again that I LOVE how Cedar Point does this. Every park should adopt this policy.

I understand the frustration that first time visitors may have by the lines closing early. Someone mentioned Indiana minor labor laws which is where I would point the blame. Now that Holiday World has expanded to being a regional park over the past few years, it may be time to change the policy.

Since HW has been my home park growing up, over the years I've just accepted the line closing how it is. Like I said, I get why it's still there, but it could be time to change this sooner or later.

I just want to state once again that I LOVE how Cedar Point does this. Every park should adopt this policy.

I love how Cedar Point does this for guest satisfaction too, BUT I do not think every park should adopt this policy. Cedar Point has more resources due to their sheer size to allow for them to keep rides going after the park's closing time. As myself and many others have explained, there is a cost to operating after closing for the smaller parks (even when it is only an hour or maybe less). Those minutes on payroll, wear and tear of long hours, and overhead costs add up considerably. I wouldn't be surprised as Holiday World continues to grow and expand if they were to eventually operate more like the larger Cedar Point kind of parks, but I can understand why they continue to operate as they do.

If anything, the larger parks should visit Holiday World to adopt their polices of excellent guest service.

This is especially frustrating after my experience working at Cedar Point, where we wait until AFTER the park has officially closed to chain off the lines so that every guest can end their day with one last awesome ride.

Agreed, but unfortunately, not all parks have so many employees living so close to the park.

Agreed, but unfortunately, not all parks have so many employees living so close to the park.

Many employees are from Evansville which is a 45 minute drive away.

Yea, I think ranking the wooden coasters is a lot easier than the steel. And after being on all the highly ranked wooden coasters in the U.S. over the last 5 or 6 years, my top 4 stand head and shoulders above the rest. ...1. El Toro, 2. Phoenix, 3. Outlaw Run, 4. Boulder dash.

Outlaw Run placing 8th is the biggest joke ever. I get that people love The Beast and all, but there's no way in hell The Beast, with all its trims and straightaways, is a better ride.

Anyways... To get back to Holiday World, any 2016 rumors? I'm not expecting anything as I would've thought it would've been announced by now.

Sorry to get off topic from the post above me but I had a bit of a concern. It happened a long time ago, but I didn't have an account at the time. Anyway, one night I stayed until closing and had a huge Thunderbird marathon (like 10 without getting up!), and one time I noticed as my train pulled into the station and the other left, that the launch magnets were sparking, as in shooting out actual static looking sparks behind the train. I'm just curious what this is about? Is this a normal thing? I just hope it doesn't become a source of downtime for my favorite ride in the park.

Yea, I think ranking the wooden coasters is a lot easier than the steel. And after being on all the highly ranked wooden coasters in the U.S. over the last 5 or 6 years, my top 4 stand head and shoulders above the rest. ...1. El Toro, 2. Phoenix, 3. Outlaw Run, 4. Boulder dash.

Out of those, I've only been on Phoenix... I love Phoenix.

Everything about the Phoenix, even that terrible Fall out Boy tribute to Phoenix is great.

This is sort of random, but does anyone know why the timerliners were never used on The Voyage?

I don't know everything, but from my understanding the timberliner trains built for Voyage were prototypes that originally couldn't handle Voyage's layout. The jerking motion generated throughout was so much so that during their first 1 or 2 years of testing, apparently (and someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) heads were snapping off the test dummies they had. Holiday World cared more about having Voyage open to the public while the park was open, so as a result the park wasn't able to test the trains very often. A few years went by and several modifications were made to the trains including extra bracing and the addition of a zero car, but after 3 or 4 years of on-and-off testing with the prototypes, Holiday World just decided to scrap the project. My guess is they just grew tired of throwing so much time and money into the project that ultimately wasn't making enough progress.

Anyone that has ridden Hades 360 or Wildcat at HP or Gwazi can tell you that putting a new type of train on an old and busted track doesn't help the overall experience at all. The biggest factor for how smooth or rough something rides is the condition of the track, so if a park wants to change the trains out on a ride, they have to basically re-track the entire thing as well for it to ride like new again. I believe Holiday World slowly became aware of this and decided the new trains weren't worth it in the end.

That being said though, the current version of timberliners would probably hold up well. They're way beefier than they used to be. Here's a couple of pics for you I found.

2013-05-27_12.thumb.jpg.837b85b6a3962d1f861aa7aea00fc9fc.jpg

Here's the current version of the trains on Hades 360.

41257.thumb.jpg.399402c720167337207148143192c0a6.jpg

Here are Voyage's original timberliner trains.

Other than that, I would love a 2nd Entrance for Splashin Safari like Kings Island from the Parking Lot

Considering that Splashin' Safari is nowhere near the parking lot (plus Raven and Legend are in the way), I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

I always thought it was closer, Never mind then.

Since Legend is getting retracked, Maybe Timberliners on Legend as it's less intense than Voyage and they ran on the Raven?

Geez I hope not! PTCs get a lot of crap, but I think they run great on Legend and most coasters that are taken care of (I'll just leave a little reminder about how all PTCs run better with buzz bars; they're lighter, etc.) The "box with wheels" analogy people give when dissing PTCs is what ends up making the coaster so awesome (forces). I just rode Roar-O-Saurus at Storyland, and sad to say I'm not a big fan of Timberliners. They run very track-rough (I'm not referring to the super-aggressive design/hill shapes of the ride). It feels like a steel hammer jackhammering a steel track, which I guess is what those trains kinda do. Gravity Group are my current favorite (active) roller coaster designers/builders, but I would like to see them work on the timberliners some more. One thing about Roar-O-Saurus, those are probably the only trains that would run on it. No way would PTCs get over those sharp hills twists.

I was patiently waiting (like many of us!) to see the Timberliners on Voyage, but after having ridden some Timberliners (also Hades 360) I'm glad they're not on Voyage, or any other coaster at Holiday world.

Other than that, I would love a 2nd Entrance for Splashin Safari like Kings Island from the Parking Lot

Yes! I bet it will happen in time! Holiday World is getting to be such a huge park now.

If the park ever decides to add a second entrance, it will be whenever they build another parking lot across the road from their employee parking lot. That's about the only way they could realistically add one, imo. But that won't be for a while, as they still have to get all of The Legend Lot paved and they're not done adding to The Legend Lot either. Yes, that thing can and will get bigger.

I know the park and the campground aren't owned by the same people, but I think it could also be feasible for them to work together to build an entrance to the park for those staying in the campground, as the properties are right next to each other.

Here's the site where you can view how much land HW's owns. It's listed under Koch Development Corporation. Just scroll around and look for the park. If you zoom in, it will go to a google maps view. It's not hard to find: http://spencer.in.wthgis.com/

If the park ever decides to add a second entrance, it will be whenever they build another parking lot across the road from their employee parking lot. That's about the only way they could realistically add one, imo. But that won't be for a while, as they still have to get all of The Legend Lot paved and they're not done adding to The Legend Lot either. Yes, that thing can and will get bigger.

I know the park and the campground aren't owned by the same people, but I think it could also be feasible for them to work together to build an entrance to the park for those staying in the campground, as the properties are right next to each other.

Here's the site where you can view how much land HW's owns. It's listed under Koch Development Corporation. Just scroll around and look for the park. If you zoom in, it will go to a google maps view. It's not hard to find: http://spencer.in.wthgis.com/

I was looking at the GIS map a few days ago and I think some of their property is also under Santa's Land LLC.

I keep imagining that eventually the employee lot and picnic grove being moved back to where the main lot is now and the current employee lot area will have rides and a new theater built there. And then the Legend lot would get expanded and a new entrance built. Those are just some of the random ideas I have imagined while thinking of possibilities for the future.

I think I read somewhere that the company that bought Lake Rudolph campground also recently bought an additional 100 acres. They are a separate company from Holiday World, but if they bought another 100 acres then they are probably planning a huge expansion of overnight options near Holiday World.

Edited by iheartHW