TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Whoa... I could SO see Holiday World adding this. They would easily have the top 3 water coasters. Looks like it would have awesome capacity as well... And a third water coaster would be welcome to maybe lessen the load on the other two. I could see them placing this in that very very odd area where splashin Safari meets thanksgiving. (Aka where Hyena falls and the old PP is. EDIT: it could even go back into the woods and interact with The Voyage and Thunderbird. Imagine how awesome that would be!

How about some sort of "shuttle" water coaster, that takes you from the main Splashin' Safair over to the Hyena Falls area? High capacity, with a double track (one going each way).

Just having fun:

2043958850_HWshuttlewatercoaster.thumb.jpg.7b9ccb59718a21ec3b0890c4020a92e4.jpg

No matter what they do in the future, it's sure to be awesome! I remember hearing that spacing out the water attractions was all part of a bigger plan for the future. A joining lazy river, perhaps? A sky ride?

How about some sort of "shuttle" water coaster, that takes you from the main Splashin' Safair over to the Hyena Falls area? High capacity, with a double track (one going each way).

Just having fun:

Let me throw another wrinkle in there: using the old PP/G station for said ride/transit system

Holiday World is now introducing a brand-new Platinum Season Pass for 2016. Highlights include Bring a Friend Free Days (once per month), Exclusive Bonus Hours (once a month), and 20% discount on merchandise/food.

More info: http://www.holidayworld.com/park-tickets/season-passes/

It seems to include the perks I expected it to. Exclusive "Bonus" Hours sound really great to me!

Ok first, all the third water coaster ideas are flipping amazing!!!! And it would all make sense with the old PP area.

Also, the season pass platinum thing sounds AMAZING. That's prolly what I'll buy next year. The one bring a friend free per month will get used every month by me.

Going to Holiday World next week and I want to bring my DSLR camera since its such a nice looking park do they still have bins on all there coasters/flats or did that change with Thunderbird?

They no longer have the ' Locked Bins", now you just place your belongings in a " Bin", which I don't like. If they run 2 trains someone could grab your stuff.

It depends on the ride I think if the bins are locked or not. I know Thunderbirds bins aren't but aren't The Voyages still locked? Either way, I took a really nice camera once and I didn't just want to throw it in the bin. The ride op was very very kind and thoughtful enough to ask if I'd rather them put it behind the control booth. I don't know that they are really SUPPOSED to do that, but its the kind of things their ride ops to do make things great for the guests. You might give it a try. It may or may not work.

First-Happy Birthday to Holiday World!

Second-Holiday World was featured in this months IAAPA Funworld Magazine which gives a great insight to a lot of things at the park. I'm going to pull the last part of the piece and put it on here, but I highly suggest you read the whole article.

http://www.iaapa.org/news/funworld/funworld-magazine/holiday-world-s-thunderbird---august-2015

Risk, Reward, and the Future of Holiday World

Building a $22 million roller coaster is a big deal for any park. But for Holiday World, “Thunderbird” is an epochal moment—no matter what happens from here, the place will never be the same. Eckert acknowledges the risk, but he knows it was the next step for the park, and his predecessor absolutely believed a steel coaster was the right move: “Will was one of my very best friends. He and I talked ad nauseam about this project and his dream, and how much he wanted to see this happen.”

“We learned a lot from our dad about taking calculated risks,” Leah adds. “At the time, ‘The Voyage’ was a massive risk, but he knew it was going to work. We followed his lead. Our fans have been demanding this for years. It felt risky, but not a stupid risk by any means.

“Would we love to see 2 million guests? Absolutely,” she continues, “but we want to have other standards for what our success will be—we don’t want it to be completely tied to, say, a 10 percent increase in attendance. If the people who are coming are happy, then that’ll be good for us.

If “Thunderbird” does succeed the way officials hope, that will start a domino effect into Holiday World’s future. The park currently occupies 110 acres of the 200-acre plot it owns, and expansion is definitely on everyone’s mind. Leah says they’re already looking at some options for “people-eater” attractions—perhaps a theater—that will help add capacity without incurring a “Thunderbird”-sized price tag. “Eventually we would like to be a destination,” she says.

“We will continue to grow,” Eckert affirms. “I definitely don’t think this will be our last steel coaster. And I don’t think we’ve seen the last of our wood coasters or our water park attractions. We have a 10-year master plan, so we have a good idea of what we want to do.”

Beyond the hard numbers, though, “Thunderbird” is a metaphorically significant moment for the park and the family, as well. “For us, ‘Thunderbird’ is a symbol of completing our healing process, and we can start to move forward,” Leah says. “We’ve been through such a tough transition, and I’m excited about taking us forward. I feel like we’re better than ever.” “It’s definitely a new chapter in the Holiday World book and the Koch family story,” Lauren agrees. “It’s like putting our stake in the ground. We’re here, we’re the next generation—get ready. It’s a lot to take on, but we want to make our dad proud.” 

“We will continue to grow,” Eckert affirms. “I definitely don’t think this will be our last steel coaster. And I don’t think we’ve seen the last of our wood coasters or our water park attractions. We have a 10-year master plan, so we have a good idea of what we want to do.” 

Inversions is about the only thing they dont have with the woodies they have now

Also I could see a Tempesto clone fitting in well at the park