TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ Duck. Now.

THIS x1000 the launch on Thunderbird is NOT a gimmick. It actually provides an amazing aspect to the ride. The ride wouldn't be even close to as awesome if it weren't for the launch! This ride depends on the launch as much as it does the ride elements and the winged trains to provide what it does.

It's sort of a shame they went with a launch gimmick on this coaster at the cost of capacity (shorter trains).

I don't know where you got the launch as being a gimmick. The launch really adds to the wing rider and, in fact, makes it WAY better! It had a nice, surprising, kick in acceleration and provided great speed through the first immelman to provide some good forces on the left side and a little bit of airtime on the right side at the peak.

Where's the gimmick?

They layout looks great with pacing between inversions, which Wild Eagle does not have.

It's sort of a shame they went with a launch gimmick on this coaster at the cost of capacity (shorter trains).

Yea it's definitely a shame the world's 1st Launched B&M is gimmicky......

They layout looks great with pacing between inversions, which Wild Eagle does not have.

Yea it's definitely a shame the world's 1st Launched B&M is gimmicky......

*Technically* 2nd, but I do agree it's far from a gimmick. If anything, I feel they shouldn't make any more wing coasters that aren't launched!

So glad to see the barn getting painted. That was the only thing that slightly bothered me about this ride. (Not that it was a major thing, it was just a minor annoyance.) So glad to see it being painted!!! It makes the ride look much more better!!!

The launch adds so much to the ride. First, it's fun to watch. I stood there and just watched the thing launch over and over. The sound effects, light effects, fog...everything about that launch adds to the experience. Plus, the ride is just non-stop action. From launch to brakes it's always doing something: launching, flipping, twisting. There's never down time. Nothing gimmicky here.

I haven't read through all these pages, so someone might have answered already, but how were the vest restraints? I hope they're less restrictive than Wild Eagle.

I found the vest restraints very comfortable. I felt really secure without having any pain or lack of forces. The harness itself is just one buckle. The seats and vests in the middle are both larger for those who want more room or due to their size. The closest airport to HW is Evansville Regional Airport. Despite what those in Louisville want to think Holiday World IS CLOSER to Evansville than Louisville. Sometimes you can get a cheaper flight into Louisville though. The drive between Evansville and HW is pretty easy, painless, and not that long of a drive. Louisville is also relatively close but you'll get there quicker though Evansville.

Flying into Louisville will give you more/cheaper options most likely. The drive is a little over an hour...slightly longer than Evansville, but you'll have less connections.

I hardly noticed the restraints on Thunderbird. So, I guess that's a good thing.

If you're willing to do some airport hopping and fly small planes, Evansville regional airport is only 45 min away

Flying into Louisville will give you more/cheaper options most likely. The drive is a little over an hour...slightly longer than Evansville, but you'll have less connections.

Louisville airport is about 90 minutes from holiday world. Kentucky kingdom is also only a mile from the airport if you have some extra spare time.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm going to have to re-think this now knowing how close KK is also. Been drooling over LR since it's opening day!

The only reason this ride has good pacing is because of the shorter trains.

I haven't read through all these pages, so someone might have answered already, but how were the vest restraints? I hope they're less restrictive than Wild Eagle.

That said, the outside back right seat is far and above the best one. But forget the seats, forget the layout, forget the launch that feels like you're being pulled into Jupiter's atmosphere, the big news here is the restraints. The vests don't lock. THEY DON'T LOCK. Rejoice!

I never have and never will understand the whining about Wild Eagle's restraints. They couldn't possibly be any more comfortable. If they installed cup holders and TV screens I could easily sit in a Wild Eagle train for 3 hours and watch a football game and probably be more comfortable than I'd be in my recliner at home.