TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Great TR. As expected, everything turned out great for Thunderbird. Glad to hear all the positive reviews on the ride as well. For those who've ridden it, is there a specific side/seat you would prefer?

Front left outside I think is probably the best. However I honestly found it to be a very different ride in just about every seat I was in. There were no "bad" seats or seats were you didn't feel the forces. The right side was cool too because you got more of leg chopper effects from the supports and I felt the 0 G roll WAY more on the right. But seriously every seat is almost a different experience in a good way. The keyholes and near misses were spot on for either side honestly.

A note on roll backs. When waiting to go back to the behind the scenes tour I brought up how I'd think it would be cool to be on the ride during one. Our tour guide agreed but said B&M told them to never really expect to get rollbacks at all. It was designed to really not have to worry about it, even though he mentioned they did have to put up the signs just in case for the public.

Now that I've finally recovered from yesterday, after a total of nine hours of driving and fourteen hours of ride time, I can finally bring you guys a quick report of yesterday's festivities!

Overall, Thunderbird is a solid addition to the Holiday World lineup. The plaza looks fantastic, Crow's Nest feels like an integrated part of the expansion, instead of seeming like an afterthought in the 4th of July. Anyway, Thunderbird is easily the best Wing Coaster. It has a very athletic yet graceful pace that feels so natural, very much like the Wing Coaster was always supposed to be like, and the launch itself is incredibly powerful. It feels WAY faster than what they advertise, and the speed carries throughout the course. The snap at the top of the immelman gives a pretty good pop of airtime on the right side, and the s-curve gives some air on the left side. That said, the outside back right seat is far and above the best one. But forget the seats, forget the layout, forget the launch that feels like you're being pulled into Jupiter's atmosphere, the big news here are the restraints. The vests don't lock. THEY DON'T LOCK. Rejoice!

And now for the bad. Ish.

Yes, the trims are now active on The Voyage, and they do have an effect on the ride experience. The triple down isn't as good as it usually is, and the return leg isn't as insane as per what we're used to. But it's still fantastic.

Now that I've written this I realize that I'm actually still way too tired to function so I'll leave you with the photos. Thank you so much to Holiday World for inviting TPED@Purdue to join in on the fun, and thank you to Robb for being so chill about a bunch of college students bombarding you with questions at once.

SAM_1005.JPG.c038302ce68ec6369772b67b1757b8a2.JPG

The best way to start a day after enduring a four hour drive from campus

WP_20150423_07_28_44_Pro.jpg.30fb6a888b86277b1500e53d6d5d6b97.jpg

SAM_1016.JPG.212400c0393c681d5eef9b97a9d48109.JPG

SAM_1015.JPG.09b299bde9c965b80fa03d7d6a54b773.JPG

WP_20150423_10_58_15_Pro.jpg.7a812e5465fa1b381ef267a341c825fd.jpg

WP_20150423_11_00_32_Pro.jpg.4d2c756fb4ebd001c752dfdf53696ecb.jpg

WP_20150423_15_34_09_Pro.jpg.cdaa29e30171559b5290df6ecea3763a.jpg

WP_20150423_15_43_08_Pro.jpg.51049092e8c4d7f50a724c27b0880a9a.jpg

WP_20150423_10_53_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.3477ea38b921c22bb30d7c4a2bedb84c.jpg

SAM_1066.thumb.JPG.492cac565888053e2dca614ed152c047.JPG

SAM_1055.JPG.849072180483a90de750bd2dde327ace.JPG

WP_20150423_15_42_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.5755340dbc8ed3bbfbc4ab5fce2db481.jpg

SAM_1151.thumb.JPG.4d5691e94cf09a43dcd6c826bb6cf78e.JPG

SAM_1039.JPG.d820a86349253cc609b2e40e09f5cefe.JPG

SAM_1162.JPG.06a8bf1d3daf97b3f77cce363ed062ae.JPG

Huge thanks to the team at Holiday World! We had an amazing time!

Ah, the reviews begin rolling in. It's understandable that you'd be exhausted after 12 hours starting in the early A.M. Thank you all for sharing, nonetheless!

^Your second photo is probably one of the better (if not the best) launch photos I have seen come from media day! The first photo of the sunrise is gorgeous too!

^Your second photo is probably one of the better (if not the best) launch photos I have seen come from media day! The first photo of the sunrise is gorgeous too!

Thanks! Amazingly, apart from the group photos and the second barrel roll photo, all of the pictures I posted were taken with my phone.

I think it's safe to stop referring to Holiday World as a "Small" family park.

Thanks for all of the great pictures. I like the stamped concrete in the station. That's a nice touch, usually overlooked by parks.

I think it's safe to stop referring to Holiday World as a "Small" family park.

Thanks for all of the great pictures. I like the stamped concrete in the station. That's a nice touch, usually overlooked by parks.

Totally agree with you, Thunderbird has really upped HW's place in the amusement park world. Carrowinds and HW were always parks that I wanted to visit but they were never too high on my list. With the additions of Fury 325 and Thunderbird, they have really turned themselves into must-visit destinations (at least for me). I also like how B&M continues to innovate and push the envelope by adding size & speed (Fury) and launch elements (Thunderbird) to existing coaster concepts.

Thanks to everyone who attended the media day for posting your photos and reviews, I will definitely be taking a trip to HW in the near future!

Very excited to ride this in the Summer. Will be my first time at HW so with that said, also slightly disappointed in hearing about the trims. Perhaps they'll be adjusted and not so noticeable by the time I ride in mid June.

Very excited to ride this in the Summer. Will be my first time at HW so with that said, also slightly disappointed in hearing about the trims. Perhaps they'll be adjusted and not so noticeable by the time I ride in mid June.

I moved this over from the Twitter page, because I don't Tweet.

However, I couldn't resist grinning at this shot. Not to mention the fact,

that if this old guy can ride something like Thunderbird, there's hope for me, LOL!

CDY38ImXIAA8RDF.jpg.2b8123e5ec7a2825841d1c3fdfcc66d9.jpg

Awesome. And good going, Santa! (And thanks for the great shot, TPR)

I moved this over from the Twitter page, because I don't Tweet.

However, I couldn't resist grinning at this shot. Not to mention the fact,

that if this old guy can ride something like Thunderbird, there's hope for me, LOL!

Yes, Santa rode multiple times yesterday. He loves Thunderbird!

^ Great! It also made me wonder how Santa would do over in Japan

riding coasters, since a number of them have "age limit" signs on them, lol?

And Santa is ageless, right?

Indeed, though I may try to go to this Holiwood Nights event, seems like an awesome time! Just need to decide if joining club TPR is worth it overall.

That's awesome with Santa. This sounds like one of those classic enthusiast parks that are smaller and have that "nostalgic" warm and fun feel, BUT with some amazing coasters and now the big steel B&M one!

Seems like a great park.

Regarding the questions about The Voyage: The mid-course brakes on Voyage (coming out of the spaghetti bowl) have existed since we opened it in 2006. They have been used on and off over the years, including when Will was still with us. This season, they are on, to keep the speed of Voyage heading into the triple-down at a constant speed. What that means is the amount of trim is based on timing. The time it takes to travel from the top of the lift hill to the mid-course brakes will determine the amount of trim applied, so every train (whether fully loaded with husky adults or with only a few seats filled) will enter the triple-down at a consistent speed. This is to improve the experience for many, many of our Guests who simply do not enjoy the super-aggressiveness of the second half of the ride (the first half of the ride has not changed - there aren't brakes hidden in a tunnel). I spoke with many enthusiasts yesterday who enjoyed their Voyage rides immensely, noticing either nothing or very little difference at the safety block. We hope you'll attend HoliWood Nights and see for yourself!

I've never ridden before which is the only reason I was hoping for an unrestrained ride, but I am still greatly looking forward to it and I appreciate all the info! It's great you interact with us on such a real level! And thanks to the community in general. Yall are a treasure trove of info and makes my travels easier.

How long are tickets usually on sale for the Holiwood Nights event? I still need a week or two to figure out my finances! I'll try my hardest to get there though

Edited by JJLehto

Regarding the questions about The Voyage: The mid-course brakes on Voyage (coming out of the spaghetti bowl) have existed since we opened it in 2006. They have been used on and off over the years, including when Will was still with us. This season, they are on, to keep the speed of Voyage heading into the triple-down at a constant speed. What that means is the amount of trim is based on timing. The time it takes to travel from the top of the lift hill to the mid-course brakes will determine the amount of trim applied, so every train (whether fully loaded with husky adults or with only a few seats filled) will enter the triple-down at a consistent speed. This is to improve the experience for many, many of our Guests who simply do not enjoy the super-aggressiveness of the second half of the ride (the first half of the ride has not changed - there aren't brakes hidden in a tunnel). I spoke with many enthusiasts yesterday who enjoyed their Voyage rides immensely, noticing either nothing or very little difference at the safety block. We hope you'll attend HoliWood Nights and see for yourself!

Thanks very much for this information, you guys have great customer relations