TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Seeing all the positive reviews about Thunderbird is awesome. I won't get to the park until June to ride it so I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. I'm actually curious to see how quickly the line will move as this is gonna be majorly popular this season.

Yeah, considering the flak wingriders get it's extremely promising to hear people already raving about it!

It is good to hear people like this winged coaster! But I don't think wingriders get that much flak. I think that most people over react to so-so reviews of previous winged coasters and equate that with sucking for some reason. I have only been on X-Flight and Gatekeeper and found them be OK to good but not very good or great and people misinterpret that as I think they suck which I don't think that at all. I really like the shorter trains and track layout on this one though, looks to be a much more thrilling and fun ride than the other two winged coasters I have been on. May be time for a road trip to Indiana now.

Just finished some great ride time this morning on TB and Voyage! TB was a huge surprise! The launch isn't super forceful, but it gives enough speed through the Immelmann that the valleys of the loop have some great power! Both sides have a bit different ride feels. The left side I found to be a bit more +force while the right side felt more -forces through the Immelmann and the buckle. Overall, great ride!

This was also my first time riding Voyage and, OH MY GOD, I was blown away. I was told by a few people that they just retracked a lot of the ride and it feels almost as if it was when it opened. The first ride was amazing with only a touch of trims. The following 2 rides were heavily trimmed. A bit dissapointing but the 4th and 5th rides were pure bliss. No trims. Absolute insanity and airtime monster.

This was also my first time riding Voyage and, OH MY GOD, I was blown away. I was told by a few people that they just retracked a lot of the ride and it feels almost as if it was when it opened. The first ride was amazing with only a touch of trims. The following 2 rides were heavily trimmed. A bit dissapointing but the 4th and 5th rides were pure bliss. No trims. Absolute insanity and airtime monster.

Pardon my lack of knowledge of the usual workings of MCBRs, but why trims on some cycles and none on others?

Pardon my lack of knowledge of the usual workings of MCBRs, but why trims on some cycles and none on others?

As it was said previously, I believe their intent this season is to run it with the MCBR set to almost complete stop which is what we experienced our 2nd and 3rd rides. But somebody simply asked if they could switch the trims off and, probably only for such a quiet day like this, they switched them off.

Just finished some great ride time this morning on TB and Voyage! TB was a huge surprise! The launch isn't super forceful, but it gives enough speed through the Immelmann that the valleys of the loop have some great power! Both sides have a bit different ride feels. The left side I found to be a bit more +force while the right side felt more -forces through the Immelmann and the buckle. Overall, great ride!

When you say trims, do you mean just the MCBR?

Well, this really is a bummer, sounds like there's no chance of an unrestrained ride outside of luck of the draw or apparently asking to turn the trims down lol and it's either OMG AMAZING or "a bit disappointing" depending on what you get. As your first time riding, is it still good at least even with them on "full"? Because everyone is saying you could barely make it through one ride previously, but it it's a letdown now...I'm not sure I'd want to ride more than once...it'd lose the point (in my book) of taming the ride if I wouldn't want to re ride anyway, Or is it still good enough even on full?

Well, this really is a bummer, sounds like there's no chance of an unrestrained ride outside of luck of the draw or apparently asking to turn the trims down lol and it's either OMG AMAZING or "a bit disappointing" depending on what you get. As your first time riding, is it still good at least even with them on "full"? Because everyone is saying you could barely make it through one ride previously, but it it's a letdown now...I'm not sure I'd want to ride more than once...it'd lose the point (in my book) of taming the ride if I wouldn't want to re ride anyway, Or is it still good enough even on full?

It's quite an overwhelming ride for most people. I rode it in 2006 and 2007 and I found it to be extremely aggressive with intensity, forcefulness, lightning-quick directional changes, and physicality. There are several other coasters like that, but the only difference is that the Voyage is very long. I heard someone describe it as "too much coaster for me" for which I found to be a good analogy. Personally, I absolutely love the ride, it's like it was designed with the attitude of if it's too intense, well too bad.

With all that being said, I think the stop on the MCBR might be beneficial to the average rider, as it will give them a breather. When I first rode it, while I was waiting, I watched back to back arriving trains have a rider run to the trash can on the exit ramp. It's on the same intensity plane as coasters like I-305 and Sky rush, albeit for some different reasons.

It's quite an overwhelming ride for most people. I rode it in 2006 and 2007 and I found it to be extremely aggressive with intensity, forcefulness, lightning-quick directional changes, and physicality. There are several other coasters like that, but the only difference is that the Voyage is very long. I heard someone describe it as "too much coaster for me" for which I found to be a good analogy. Personally, I absolutely love the ride, it's like it was designed with the attitude of if it's too intense, well too bad.

With all that being said, I think the stop on the MCBR might be beneficial to the average rider, as it will give them a breather. When I first rode it, while I was waiting, I watched back to back arriving trains have a rider run to the trash can on the exit ramp. It's on the same intensity plane as coasters like I-305 and Sky rush, albeit for some different reasons.

Oh I totally get it, just I'm being selfish since I am not an average rider, and I was indeed looking forward to that "if it's too intense too bad" type thing. I mean, sucks for those people who had to run to the trash can every time and what not but well...that's not me lol so I'm pretty sad.

What is was like means nothing now, just curious what is the experience like now when they are on full.

And mainly just venting is all. Yet again I finally plan to visit a park (It's 13 hours from me, in not exactly a "hot spot" and during college and early years of work major travel isn't very easy, this is the first time I even can make it out here) and I may realistically end up with a disappointing ride. Or not, it may still be great even with it, that's all I'm fishing for.

Oh I totally get it, just I'm being selfish since I am not an average rider, and I was indeed looking forward to that "if it's too intense too bad" type thing. I mean, sucks for those people who had to run to the trash can every time and what not but well...that's not me lol so I'm pretty sad.

What is was like means nothing now, just curious what is the experience like now when they are on full.

And mainly just venting is all. Yet again I finally plan to visit a park (It's 13 hours from me, in not exactly a "hot spot" and during college and early years of work major travel isn't very easy, this is the first time I even can make it out here) and I may realistically end up with a disappointing ride. Or not, it may still be great even with it, that's all I'm fishing for.

If it makes you feel better it never really flew through the MCBR, so I doubt it negatively affects the ride too much. Your "selfishness" is warranted though, as I would prefer the most untamed version of the ride myself.

Very true PaTim, and that's why I'm just looking for opinions on what it's like even with it, as you say it shouldn't too massive a change, just the initial reports of "disappointment" had me worried. Indeed, it's the psychopath in us heh still wish I could've known the original I305 just to have experienced it, though I'm actually very glad the changes are there...the last few flicks felt like it jostled my skeletal system loose, even with the big drop in speed!

And hey, still will make the trip out here anyway

Are they going to keep the Mid-course stop permanently? It just doesn't seem like Holiday World to do that. Are they trying to do a complete retrack this year to bring in back to original form? That seems like a reason to keep it tame for a while. If not I really hope they look into new trains again, or adding topper track to the second half. Just wondering as I've never ridden it, comparing this to Boulder Dash running at its best, how much more intense is it?

Leave it to the coaster nerds to have more discussion about a mid course break run than a brand new launched B&M wingrider on the opening day of the new coaster.....

Thunderbird looks awesome by the way, can't wait to check it out soon. Love the whole area around it, when it was first announced it "seemed" like that area was so far way from everything but the whole thing just looks amazing. Great job Holiday World