TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I remember being in Nashville two years ago and seeing a Holiday World billboard advertising a 3 hour drive. I tried to convince my parents to take the detour so I could get at least one ride on the Voyage, but when you're the only enthusiast in the family you lose a lot of battles.

Nashville is lucky in a way.. It's about 3 to 4 hours away from Holiday World, SFOG, Dollywood, Kentucky Kingdom, not to mention Beech Bend is in Bowling Green, which is about an hour or so north of Nashville.

Add Lake Winnie 2.5 hours away and Alabama Adventure about 4 hours away. We'll have Guntown Mountain back open this summer too. I'm always a bit surprised though when locals haven't heard of Beech Bend.

Everyone I know has heard of Beech Bend, most people tend to think it's nothing more than an oversized carnival.

^

Yes, Matt is the President of the park, but he is not Raven Maven. Paula is Raven Maven and she is the parks Communications Director. She represents the park on this thread and is the only person who actively and officially represents their park on the TPR forums (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Full-time employees got to ride Thunderbird today. From HW's Twitter:

CCQeWOPUsAIqmv0.jpg:large

CCQ9WMxUwAEjTVc.jpg:large

I wonder if that catwalk (for the lack of a better term) has that slope as part of theming? To make it seem like a old barn, perhaps?

What slope are you talking about? I don't see it..

EDIT: Oh, in the second picture? I didn't see that at first. I would say it's for looks. Kind of like the sagging remains of the hay loft, maybe?

Edited by OneOfTheWills

Full-time employees got to ride Thunderbird today. From HW's Twitter:

CCQeWOPUsAIqmv0.jpg:large

CCQ9WMxUwAEjTVc.jpg:large

I wonder if that catwalk (for the lack of a better term) has that slope as part of theming? To make it seem like a old barn, perhaps?

What slope are you talking about? I don't see it..

I think he is referring to the overhang above. It looks sloped to me as well. It's in the second picture.

All of the pictures of Thunderbird look wonderful. It definitely looks like it has the potential to be the best B&M Wing Coaster yet. I'm hoping to make a visit to Holiday World within the next few years.

Aw, Paula! Glad you gave it a go!

Sorry about your first (Allen Herchell) Helicopter ride. I have a similar story: Our local carnival always brought many rides, and I did the kiddie ones with no trouble. I stayed away from many of the "big kids" rides. So one year, when I was 7 or 8, they brought for the first time a Allen Herchell Helicopter. I was looking forward to it, as I rode all sort of rides in the kiddie areas by then.

I was the first in line, my parents behind me. The ride operator came to the gate, and proceeded to remove the safety chain (yes, they used chains then to keep people out of the live ride area). My parents yelled "go! go!" so I would get the best car. The ride opt yelled at me "stop!" I was horrified—and cried and cried. My parents pushed (not physically) me to go on in once he was letting people in, so with tears in my eyes I found a "helicopter" car to ride in and sat in my seat, still wet with tears.

Calming down, the ride eventually started, so I pulled back on my bar, because I could read the instructions stickered onto the inside of my mighty helicopter.

Nothing. Trying again... nothing. All the other "copters" were soaring by now, and I was still on the ground. My parents kept yelling at me to "Pull back the bar! Pull back the bar" and I could only just sit there embarrassed. The ride cycle would eventually end, and I would have stayed on the "ground" the whole time, picking the only broken tub on the ride. I wouldn't ride it anymore that day.

I would eventually try the ride again and soar to amazing 12 foot heights, but that first ride really put a damper on my start to the carnival.

Wonder if Paula has ridden it?

Well, yes, I believe I did: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2015/04/11/confessions-screaming-grandma/

Great blog post Paula! Lol riding with you would be a blast! I love riding with people who are like that because somehow for me it makes it even more thrilling. Hard to explain lol. That picture though...wow. Are you SURE this is all at Holiday World and not somewhere else? Lol I feel like a moon landing truther or something but so hard to believe this is at Holiday World! So amazing!

It seams that Holiday World is quickly becoming the park to watch this season. The way things are shaping up and with the way they do business at Holiday World, I think we could easily be seeing one of next years most interesting additions. With all of this land clearing, I don't think that RMC Voyage is happening just yet.

Since Holiday World has had lots of maintenance headaches between Voyage getting rough and PP's entire existence, I can see them putting a priority on reliability. A b&m coaster might seem pretty tempting for the park. Unfortunately, I think this whole situation reeks of wingrider.

500 pages ago, I guessed right and everyone called me crazy, saying that Holiday World is too small for a B&M. That Holiday World couldn't afford a wingrider.

Of course, I never expected them to build the first Launched B&M.

Now it's opening it's doors. Can't help but be thrilled for them. Excited to get out there in the future.

I landed on this post by me on page 415...

It's one thing to speculate on plausible additions, but the types of rides that y'all are suggesting are on par with some things said in the Darien Lake thread. Like really insane stuff.

Honestly, I share your irritation for people always immediately speculating big on things they're not totally sure of (not just for Holiday World, but everywhere ). It's fun to do so, sure, but you can't always fill-up pages with people pin-pointing where every park might throw in, say, a B&M wing rider as a family-owned park's first-ever major steel coaster...

Safe to say, I don't think I'll ever shoot down a wild idea for this park ever again. I still shake my head in disbelief at what the park got, and couldn't be more happy to be so wrong!

I remember being in Nashville two years ago and seeing a Holiday World billboard advertising a 3 hour drive. I tried to convince my parents to take the detour so I could get at least one ride on the Voyage, but when you're the only enthusiast in the family you lose a lot of battles.

Nashville is lucky in a way.. It's about 3 to 4 hours away from Holiday World, SFOG, Dollywood, Kentucky Kingdom, not to mention Beech Bend is in Bowling Green, which is about an hour or so north of Nashville.

Add Lake Winnie 2.5 hours away and Alabama Adventure about 4 hours away. We'll have Guntown Mountain back open this summer too. I'm always a bit surprised though when locals haven't heard of Beech Bend.

I went to Guntown Mountain last year and the only thing that was open was the gift shop and the lift up to the Guntown mountain itself... But it was deserted. We were the only ones up there and there was no actors or

It's one thing to speculate on plausible additions, but the types of rides that y'all are suggesting are on par with some things said in the Darien Lake thread. Like really insane stuff.

Honestly, I share your irritation for people always immediately speculating big on things they're not totally sure of (not just for Holiday World, but everywhere ). It's fun to do so, sure, but you can't always fill-up pages with people pin-pointing where every park might throw in, say, a B&M wing rider as a family-owned park's first-ever major steel coaster...

I imagine this gave RavenMaven a slight heart attack.

Well, yes, I believe I did: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2015/04/11/confessions-screaming-grandma/

I just wanted to say that Paula is probably the most amazingly awesome park rep in the history of parks...like ever!! I read that blog post earlier today and I'm still smiling from it. And that picture? OMG! Hysterical...in a great way! Love ya, Paula!

I just wanted to say that Paula is probably the most amazingly awesome park rep in the history of parks...like ever!! I read that blog post earlier today and I'm still smiling from it. And that picture? OMG! Hysterical...in a great way! Love ya, Paula!

I know right??? She's amazing! I've never seen her level of commitment, expertise, and passion from ANY other COMPANY'S equal. When I talk about the Koch family in general I always assume to myself that I'm also referring to her.

I imagine this gave RavenMaven a slight heart attack.

Maybe, but I won't take any credit for being the first to guess! Plenty of others like woodlandmammoth mentioned it before me, I was just in denial!