TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I love Holiday World's new skyline as the sun sets.

It's still unbelievable to think that this is that small park in the middle of those Indiana cornfields that I've been going to since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

It's still unbelievable to think that this is that small park in the middle of those Indiana cornfields that I've been going to since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

Same here. I can't believe how much the park has grown, and knowing that it's only going to keep getting bigger makes it even more unbelievable.

I had a chance to catch a couple of launches with the fog. It's really cool to see the fog in front of the train and then see it all come 'flying' out of the station when the train launches out.

I have also been visiting Holiday World since I was very little. It is amazing to me how much larger the park is now then when what it was when the Legend opened (which is the earliest I remember being at the park). However, it's still great to have that small town/park hospitality to this day!

Ditto here too. I remember when the most exciting rides at the park were the Firecracker and the Banshee lol. And it was still a great park then. My oh my how they have grown!

On another note... Anyone notice that the lights on the actual launch/loading building seem to flicker as well? Especially the one right above the thunderbird logo? I wonder if this is to simulate something as well, or if it's really just a steady light that looks to flash through the camera lens? Any ideas or thoughts? Paula anything you can share?

Ditto here too. I remember when the most exciting rides at the park were the Firecracker and the Banshee lol. And it was still a great park then. My oh my how they have grown!

On another note... Anyone notice that the lights on the actual launch/loading building seem to flicker as well? Especially the one right above the thunderbird logo? I wonder if this is to simulate something as well, or if it's really just a steady light that looks to flash through the camera lens? Any ideas or thoughts? Paula anything you can share?

I think the near constant flashing or strobing of that light is due either to the cameras iris auto adjusting in the extreme low light or the high winds the park is experiencing tonight either shaking the camera or light or both.

^ Yes, it's been very windy this week. (Sorry, I didn't see this last night, so I'd didn't see what you're asking about.)

As for the "I can't believe this is in Holiday World" comment - we all keep saying it, too! Every day there's something more to marvel about. We're having great fun and can't wait for Guests to arrive!

I remember being in Nashville two years ago and seeing a Holiday World billboard advertising a 3 hour drive. I tried to convince my parents to take the detour so I could get at least one ride on the Voyage, but when you're the only enthusiast in the family you lose a lot of battles.

I remember being in Nashville two years ago and seeing a Holiday World billboard advertising a 3 hour drive. I tried to convince my parents to take the detour so I could get at least one ride on the Voyage, but when you're the only enthusiast in the family you lose a lot of battles.

You speak the truth.

Nashville is lucky in a way.. It's about 3 to 4 hours away from Holiday World, SFOG, Dollywood, Kentucky Kingdom, not to mention Beech Bend is in Bowling Green, which is about an hour or so north of Nashville.

Nashville is lucky in a way.. It's about 3 to 4 hours away from Holiday World, SFOG, Dollywood, Kentucky Kingdom, not to mention Beech Bend is in Bowling Green, which is about an hour or so north of Nashville.

From one Nashville native to another, I agree. Despite the fact that we don't have a true local park, there are several great parks within a 5 hour radius of here. I remember when Voyage opened and Holiday World started advertising in Nashville, I didn't even realize that it was so close to us until then! I've been going to Holiday World at least once every year since then.

Funny thing is, I STILL haven't been to Beech Bend despite being only an hour away. I'm hoping this year will finally be the year I can ride Kentucky Rumbler!

Back to Thunderbird, I'm stoked that B&M's first true launched coaster is only 3 hours away from me. While I know Thunderbird probably won't top Voyage in terms of thrills, it will at least be super fun and WAY more re-ridable. Every time I visit the park and ride the 3 wooden coasters, they're all so intense and jostling that they tend to tire me out early in the day. Having a smooth steel coaster will help balance out the coaster collection a ton.

I was talking to a few non-enthusiast people from Nashville about going to Beach Bend. They had never even heard of the place, but asked if I had been to Holiday World, telling me how much they loved the place. It's amazing what great marketing can do for a park. Compound that with exceptional guest service, and you get guests willing to drive from big cities to the middle of nowhere, and do it more than just once!

Add Lake Winnie 2.5 hours away and Alabama Adventure about 4 hours away. We'll have Guntown Mountain back open this summer too. I'm always a bit surprised though when locals haven't heard of Beech Bend.