TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

ONCE AGAIN, lets get back on topic about HOLIDAY WORLD! Is there any recent pictures of the Thunderbird Plaza? I know it's going to look amazing when completed!
i believe the past week or so they have been laying a ton of concrete for the paths. I imagine at this point they are working on landscaping, but I doubt we will see the full fruits of the landscaping until next season.... Of course I could be wrong, I'd love to see some pictures as well.

A very heartfelt blog post and video. Comparing the layout for the invert to Thunderbird, I'm certain Will would have been more than happy to see what had been constructed at the park! Congratulations on it, again.

ONCE AGAIN, lets get back on topic about HOLIDAY WORLD! Is there any recent pictures of the Thunderbird Plaza? I know it's going to look amazing when completed!
i believe the past week or so they have been laying a ton of concrete for the paths. I imagine at this point they are working on landscaping, but I doubt we will see the full fruits of the landscaping until next season.... Of course I could be wrong, I'd love to see some pictures as well.

While there are no pictures of Thunderbird plaza right now, I was able to take a screen shot of the POV footage video (that I'm assuming was taped this past week) in wonderful 720p60fps (the highest setting the video can be watched at) of the train going through the Immelmann. I then rotated this screen shot 90 degrees and was able to a really good overview of the plaza as it stood just a few days ago or so I assume.

TB25.thumb.png.a2668d867ec5da9c70683907efcf11b8.png

While there are no pictures of Thunderbird plaza right now, I was able to take a screen shot of the POV footage video (that I'm assuming was taped this past week) in wonderful 720p60fps (the highest setting the video can be watched at) of the train going through the Immelmann. I then rotated this screen shot 90 degrees and was able to a really good overview of the plaza as it stood just a few days ago or so I assume.

Thanks! And that angle of the track is awesome!

As recent political events have started to dominate this thread I have moved all pertinent posts to a new thread in the Random Forum. No matter how important political events are, we really want to focus on the parks and rides in this Forum. There are plenty of other places to go on the internet to debate politics. Politics are polarizing and we want to celebrate and come together here on TPR and not create factions. I hope everyone respects that request.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70123

Edited by larrygator

Suggestions of hotels? Trying to budget $80-90 / night if feasible, but most places seem to be a decent distance away. Worth the premium to stay at Santa's Lodge? Seems to be closest and wouldn't need to pay parking at least. Does it have complimentary breakfast? Discounted Holiday World tickets for guests?

^ If you're talking about parking at HW.....it's free.

A new Holiblog with a shout out to TPR!

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2015/04/04/family-tradition-2/

Also new footage of Thunderbird. Make sure you watch to the very end:

Holy smokes that's an awesomely put together video with the Thunderbird theme music in the background! For some reason I can't see the above mentioned pictures though =( maybe because I'm on an iPad?

As far as Santa's Lodge I've heard nothing but positive things about it although I've never stayed there. I do believe they offer discounted tickets. If you go to the following link on the Holiday World website there is a list of nearby places to stay along with links: http://www.holidayworld.com/plan-your-trip/hotels-camping/ I HAVE camped at Lake Rudolph both in one of their RVs and in a tent and I loved it there both times. Also offers discounted tickets, and free shuttle to the park and back. Beautiful and well kept scenery and its own host of activities including mini golf and swimming. It's WELL worth the money and I believe it's still owned by another part of the Koch family although I don't believe the two business are legally related to each other in a business sense.

I believe it's still owned by another part of the Koch family although I don't believe the two business are legally related to each other in a business sense.

Actually, after the passing of Philip Koch, who had owned Lake Rudolph, his family sold everything to a company out of Michigan last June.

http://www.spencercountyjournal.com/content/lake-rudolph-campground-sold-michigan-company

I believe it's still owned by another part of the Koch family although I don't believe the two business are legally related to each other in a business sense.

Actually, after the passing of Philip Koch, who had owned Lake Rudolph, his family sold everything to a company out of Michigan last June.

http://www.spencercountyjournal.com/content/lake-rudolph-campground-sold-michigan-company

Ahhh good info... I wasn't aware it was sold. I wonder who owns the rest of HoHoHoldings then such as the Christmas store and what not?

Suggestions of hotels? Trying to budget $80-90 / night if feasible, but most places seem to be a decent distance away. Worth the premium to stay at Santa's Lodge? Seems to be closest and wouldn't need to pay parking at least. Does it have complimentary breakfast? Discounted Holiday World tickets for guests?

Santa's Lodge is just okay. The rooms are basic hotel rooms and I don't remember anything that interesting about the hotel itself. Depending on when you're going a basic room will run you $100-150 per night. Breakfast is not included, but there is a restaurant. The hotel does have a discount on Holiday World tickets, but it's not as good as the coaster club discount you can get at the park (I think it was comparable to the online rate). Parking won't matter because Holiday World offers free parking (as well as free soft drinks, free sunscreen, free inner tubes, and free Wi-Fi). If you want to stay close to the park it is probably the best option (it's the only hotel right near the park), but if you're willing to drive a little in the morning (30-45 minutes) you'll find some potentially better options at a lower price.

Thank you, Larry. Much appreciated.

I'm just ready to experience a night ride on Thunderbird. Going through those woods at night is going to be nice!

Absolutely! I'll be there for Holiwood Nights, where there will be ample opportunity for night rides. That helix in the barn looks amazing, and surely will be incredible in the dark.

I was watching for a bit too. Brown for the supports was a perfect choice btw. It really does look like a mysterious and powerful bird sweeping through the woods. Also, I realize there are no humans to load and unload but it seems as if they are able to dispatch a train really quickly. The fact that it's not super long like The Voyage probably helps quite a bit. I don't think this will be bad on wait times at all.