TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Any launched coaster can have rollbacks, but they are rare on magnetic launch coasters unless there is a power interruption. LSMs have to be carefully synchronized to the train and are constantly monitored by the computer, so if the speed is off by just a little bit or the computer faults the system will shut down and stop the train. Weight distribution is always a factor and the wing coaster trains have a lot more drag than most launched coasters, so high winds could be a problem, but I'm guessing B&M has limits on both to minimize chances of a rollback (plus I'm not sure how windy Holiday World actually gets). When all this is taken into consideration, and with the speed shown in the testing video, I'm guessing it is very unlikely the ride will ever have a rollback during normal operation. If you had no weight in the front of the train, a lot of weight in the back of the train, and a really strong headwind it would probably happen, but that's mostly a fictional scenario.

Edited by rcdude

Is it weird that I think a rollback would be kinda fun to be on? Lol

Not at all, I'm pretty sure EVERY SINGLE ENTHUSIAST prays for one each time they're on a launched coaster. At least I do

Ahhhh ok thanks! I feel much better now lol. Thought maybe I was just weird! Of course we are all a little weird anyway when it comes to this hobby, lol.

First time using this, but here's a video HW posted on their Facebook. I think going from 0 to 60 is really going to help the launch feel more forceful as opposed to a ride like Helix where the train hits the launch with some speed and doesn't feel quite that forceful. We shall see..

[fbvideo]

[/fbvideo]

First time using this, but here's a video HW posted on their Facebook. I think going from 0 to 60 is really going to help the launch feel more forceful as opposed to a ride like Helix where the train hits the launch with some speed and doesn't feel quite that forceful. We shall see..

[fbvideo]

[/fbvideo]

Woa... That train is really bookin it out of that station! Very impressive. It's amazing how these launched coasters can get up to speed so quickly.

I am starting to wonder if I want to do this or Fury 325 first.

You see, I am at 199 coasters, so this next coaster is very important.

Should B&M's first launched wing coaster or the worlds tallest Giga coaster be number 200?

^ I always thought it was the chain dogs, but Thunderbird doesn't have any, so I'm wondering the same thing.

Paula, I saw where you responded to a comment on FB where you said the height requirement was 52" is for Thunderbird. Did B&M change this since the announcement? For some reason I remember it originally being 54". Edit: Never mind, I dug back through the Holiblog posts. It's always been 52".

Speaking of height requirements for wing coasters. I find it interesting that X-Flight is 54", Gatekeeper and Thunderbird is 52", and Wild Eagle is 50".

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Does anyone know what the "chch ... chch ... chch ... chch" noise is as the train is moving in the station? I've heard it on videos of other B&Ms as well.

Silver Bullet a Knott's has this, and since it's an inverted coaster you can see a lot of the track elements. I looked very closely one time and saw that it is these little "notches" that, when lined up with the ones on the track, allow the restraints to unlock. When the train is entering/exiting the station, these chain-dog-like things slide over the ones on the track and make the click noise. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

Does anyone know what the "chch ... chch ... chch ... chch" noise is as the train is moving in the station? I've heard it on videos of other B&Ms as well.

Silver Bullet a Knott's has this, and since it's an inverted coaster you can see a lot of the track elements. I looked very closely one time and saw that it is these little "notches" that, when lined up with the ones on the track, allow the restraints to unlock. When the train is entering/exiting the station, these chain-dog-like things slide over the ones on the track and make the click noise. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

It is not a chain dog device. The chain dog is just that, a chain dog.

These are for locking and unlocking restraints on newer B&M's. They also indicate open and closed restraints on all coasters that they have been installed on.

Kumba and Montu have received these within the last year or so. Your saying that Silver Bullet has them. Are they to the side of the track like this?

If so, I think it is great that B&M is adding these to the older coasters. One more safety system in place before that train leaves the station.

The way these work is if a restraint is not locked properly, the train WILL NOT dispatch.

There are sprung electrical pickups on the train chassis (which looks like a metal comb with blobs on the end), and in line with where each car stops there are some grooves which the comb thing goes through. So when the train comes in as it passes each of these pickups it makes a 'chh' noise, and when the train stops there is an electric and data connection between the station track and the train.

You can see these on inverted coasters quite easily on the top right (at least on Mk1 inverted coaster trains) of each car. Also if you look at the lights in the hole in back of the seat in front of you, you can see the LED lights coming on/off as the car goes through each pickup as it enters the station.

I love the noise Nemesis makes because each wheel goes clunk over the join in the transfer track, and then 'chh' over the electrical pickups meaning you get a 'clunk clunk chh, clunk clunk chh, clunk clunk chh..' noise as the train comes in. I know this is the nerdiest thing to say in the history of nerddom.

There are sprung electrical pickups on the train chassis (which looks like a metal comb with blobs on the end), and in line with where each car stops there are some grooves which the comb thing goes through. So when the train comes in as it passes each of these pickups it makes a 'chh' noise, and when the train stops there is an electric and data connection between the station track and the train.

You can see these on inverted coasters quite easily on the top right (at least on Mk1 inverted coaster trains) of each car. I love the noise Nemesis makes because each wheel goes clunk over the join in the transfer track, and then 'chh' over the electrical pickups meaning you get a 'clunk clunk chh, clunk clunk chh, clunk clunk chh..' noise as the train comes in. I know this is the nerdiest thing to say in the history of nerddom.

Thanks! I thought it must be something like that but wasn't sure. And I totally get the love for the noise. I love the sound of old Arrow coasters moving from the breaks then parking in the station.