TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I've seen Holiday World billboards in Tennessee as well. I could easily see the park hitting 1.5 million next year. They have certainly worked on the park enough to handle that many. I see 2 million not next season but not too far in the future either. I still see their Holiday World Hotel trademark is still active too. I really see them branching out and making it a resort like place in the future. They have big plans I think, and they always have. They just have a very measured and methodical method to their insane expansion projects. I've seen them do so many things that didn't make COMPLETED sense until years later when they expanded more and then I have a "oh THATS why they did that" moment. They are well on their way.

I'm interested to see what will be coming to HW in 2016. Obviously, something to replace Sparkler. I also think it will be wise to continue to increase the capacity of the waterpark, especially with the expected attendance jump that Thunderbird is going to bring, which hopefully will be in the 1.5-2 million range.

Let's also not forget about the still vacant Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica area. Does anyone know if the station has been removed? All of our eyes (and all of the cameras) have been pointed towards TB construction. HW poured Crow's Nest's pad without our knowing because it was out of frame...what else have they been doing? A comment on the Holiblog stated that the concrete was still there.

I also had a strange thought that we might see the removal (or moving or layout change) of Lewis & Clark Trail in a few seasons. It takes up real estate between three of the holiday sections (4th, Christmas, Halloween). Like I said, it was a strange thought but as much as I would miss the ride if it was removed completely, it wouldn't completely surprise me now.

Moving the Star Flyer Former Known as Sparkler over by Thunderbird was a good idea--adds a nice visual dynamic to that spot and gives people another reason to head over there. I like how this new area of the park is shaping up.

Let's also not forget about the still vacant Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica area. Does anyone know if the station has been removed? All of our eyes (and all of the cameras) have been pointed towards TB construction.

First, at least the station should still be there, as I'm sure the park and a manufacturer can figure out a way to re-use it. At last check, somebody has said on here that they seen them adding pipes in the splashdown area back in October, which tells me they're going to fill it with water and sort of make a huge fountain out of it for now. Now as for 2016, it's going to take a pretty hefty investment to replace Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica, whether they try and reuse as much as possible and put in a similar style ride, or tear everything out and put in something different. Coming off of a 22 million dollar investment, I wouldn't expect them to be spending a whole lot again until 2017.

Does Splashin Safari have something like Kentucky Kingdom's Deep Water Dive? It would have a similar footprint to Giraffica, and those type slides are one of the hot trends in waterpark attractions.

No they don't, but honestly, that type of slide doesn't seem like something that would fit at HW (in terms of what they're about), but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to put one in either.

The flywheel is used to power the electronic magnets that launch the train, not pull the train itself. I don't think roll-backs are as eminent on this. And even if they did, they're sure to slow the train down well before the station.

^In the case of Thunderbird, if a roll back occurs, I'm sure it will safely roll back and re-launch. However, for rides like Montezooma's Revenge and Pony Express (which, correct me if I'm wrong, are flywheel launches), rollbacks are definitely possible and a little less "reliable" to slow a train down (like the Pony Express accident).

Yes, both Pony Express and Montezooma's are flywheel launches. I know Pony Express has the launch lined with brakes that are suppose to activate in the event of a roll back. I believe that was the cause of the accident as the brakes didn't activate properly, or something along those lines. Monte can roll back as much as it wants, because, well, that's how that coaster is designed and it can't run into anything else.

Since Thunderbird is a 100% LSM launch, it'll work the same exact way that Maverick does. If there's any sort of power loss or the train doesn't make it through the Immelmann for some strange reason, the LSM fins will act the same way as eddy brakes, slowing the train down very quickly.

All the flywheel does is power a generator to get power to the LSM fins more efficiently. If a flywheel wasn't installed, the power draw would probably be too much for the electric grid for the park. It's the same premise as overloading a breaker at your house. If there's too much power draw, the breaker will trip to prevent it from causing damage. It was probably cheaper to do a flywheel than having a larger power line installed for the park. Use a little power to turn a motor, which then turns a giant wheel that can produce the electrical power requirements needed.

^ If there is enough wind blowing in from the south, it could definitely cause a roll back.

So I was looking at the parks website and saw that the 2015 calender was up and then I noticed this awesome photo of The Voyage and Thunderbird back in the fall:

Also, looking at ThunderbirdCam, the station is far from done, but looking at the construction cam, it looks like it is almost complete:

TB16.png.c868b750335b92c4305d965c69994043.png