TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^Shivering Timbers does have one trim right before the final helix, but the rest of the ride (all airtime hills included) is brake free. Also, looking at TPR's latest Shivering Timbers video, that lone trim brake appeared to be off, so Michigan's Adventure doesn't seem too uptight on keeping the ride's speed in check.

Holiday World probably has the best coaster maintenance team in the entire country. They know that their woodies are some of the best in the world, and they want to keep them running like day one for as long as they can!

I never got why Cedar Fair can't even maintain most woodies without trimming it. Do they know ANYBODY who they could hire to help with this?

On another, non-HW note, why are steel coasters trimmed to speeds that make them BORING? I'm looking at you, Raging Bull!

^Shivering Timbers does have one trim right before the final helix, but the rest of the ride (all airtime hills included) is brake free. Also, looking at TPR's latest Shivering Timbers video, that lone trim brake appeared to be off, so Michigan's Adventure doesn't seem too uptight on keeping the ride's speed in check.

Holiday World probably has the best coaster maintenance team in the entire country. They know that their woodies are some of the best in the world, and they want to keep them running like day one for as long as they can!

I never got why Cedar Fair can't even maintain most woodies without trimming it. Do they know ANYBODY who they could hire to help with this?

On another, non-HW note, why are steel coasters trimmed to speeds that make them BORING? I'm looking at you, Raging Bull!

Don't forget ones like Joker's Jinx's lower power launch and the Flight of Fears' mcbr. I'd assume there's less wear on the trains and tracks and increased ride time with them being taken down a notch, but I'm no expert on this.

I can really see Hyena falls being relocated someday. Not this year, but possibly the next. The placement of Hyena falls was a poor design choice.

I agree. Right by Voyage and not in the water park? Really?

I can see the entire slide structure being moved behind Wildebeestro, or Take the 3 enclosed slides, replace Ottorongo with the newer slides, and putting the half pipe next to Kima bay.

Let me insert some plausible common sense into this scenario. The majority of the cost for these slide complexes, water rides, ext, comes from the concrete, and water pump installation. It seems quite complex, actually and probably costs more than the slide parts alone. So we're going to spend several million dollars to move a slide complex about 100 yards from where it currently sits? Was the placement of the slide complex poor? Yes. Now that was a different management team who made that purchase and choice. Now I have my thoughts and a few rants on why they put it there, but I'll keep that to myself for now. So let me say this, there is still a way around this and a way to keep the dry park separate from the dry park. You guys are over thinking this just a bit. There is a tunnel like walkway that used to be the way to get to PP from SS. That has been blocked off. If they go ahead and remove the rest of the concrete and water pumps from PP, they can keep the walkway and create a pathway from The Mayflower that goes through that tunnel. They can then expand upon the walkway already there right by The Voyage's third 90 degree turn and take a separate pathway right next to the one going to Hyena Falls and take it all the way up to Thunderbird. I'll finish with this. If the park could expand the water park around The Legend, why can they expand the dry park around Hyena Falls.

^ Yes with much older slide complexes, not a brand spanking new one. It's a waste of money (not to mention they've already threw nearly 5 million down the drain with PP) and it is not impossible to work around it. Thunderbird is probably as far back as the Thanksgiving section will go. I'm sensing everything else will go to the right of Mayflower and where PP currently sits and out in that field, then kind of wrap around Hyena Falls. They can then create a new walkway going to Thunderbird and its placement will make much more sense. I'm actually starting to think the current walkway to Thunderbird will be temporary until the rest of Thanksgiving section can catch up.The bad placement of Hyena Falls was the hand management was dealt. On the heels of a 22 million dollar investment and loss of a 5 million dollar investment, it is not a good business decision to spend several million on something that can be worked around.

Edit: Here is kind of what I'm talking about. You'll notice that once the temporary plan is finished, it becomes a candidate for waterpark expansion. With this, the placement of Thunderbird starts to make sense. Understand though, they had to add Thunderbird to be an anchor to allow them to add all the small rides needed to expand the Thanksgiving section to whatever their vision of it is. So many possibilities that can be explored and done in this situation.

HWThunderbirdWW.thumb.png.092060cbd289e4a0882161c243364200.png

Temporary plan for now.

HWExpansion.thumb.png.97f83508662b0c649a62034a1d473c3c.png

Plan for the future.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I know what you mean, but I just don't see it residing there much longer. We honestly don't know how much it would cost to say the least, but If it means that they could possibly expand thanksgiving farther, it's a risk they will have to choose to make.

So here's our interesting topics we wish for clearance on:

- Legend Maintenance

- Thunderbird Walkway/Hyena Falls placement

- Bathrooms/Pepsi Oasis in Thunderbird Plaza

- Other updates for 2015

- How to successfully build a time machine out of a DeLorean to go to April 2015 and ride Thunderbird now.

I'm still waiting on the covered Thanksgiving bridge. I was so excited for it in May and when I rounded the corner to go to the Thanksgiving bridge on my way to Mayflower (I was the first paying guest to stick my leg in the boat, and was the first to be asked to move out of the boat, and move to a different seat. [Long story ]) I was disappointed.

I know what you mean, but I just don't see it residing there much longer. We honestly don't know how much it would cost to say the least, but If it means that they could possibly expand thanksgiving farther, it's a risk they will have to choose to make.

So here's our interesting topics we wish for clearance on:

- Legend Maintenance

- Thunderbird Walkway/Hyena Falls placement

- Bathrooms/Pepsi Oasis in Thunderbird Plaza

- Other updates for 2015

- How to successfully build a time machine out of a DeLorean to go to April 2015 and ride Thunderbird now.

I honestly don't see Hyena Falls being in a bad spot. If you look at all the area on the side of the Voyage that most of the water park resides on, it is very densely wooden land. Adding to that, there are some crazy big hills between Voyage and Mammoth. Why expand the water park in a hilly area with a ton of trees would need to be removed to build attractions that, overall, do not benefit from differing elevation? I would prefer that land saved for coasters where they could use the great terrain and not have to cut down as many trees.

On the Hyena Falls side of the Voyage, the land is overall much flatter and devoid of trees. There is no doubt in my mind that Holiday World has a plan for the overall park expansion layout. With a clever crossing point at the former PP access tunnel area, I see no issues at all with the placement of Hyena Falls for future park expansion. It's just one of those things where we just need to trust HW management and watch announcements in the coming years. I'm not basing this off of any kind of insider knowledge but just my opinion of the area.

Paula DID mention in this very thread that the placement of Hyena Falls and how that whole area is laid out, is indeed part of an overall master plan that may not make sense now, but in time it will. Given that, I don't think the placement was a mistake. They obviously have thought far in advance enough that in the future the current placement of Hyena Falls will no longer be questioned. I get that it's kind of weird now and none of us get it or understand it. But Paula did in fact say it's all part of the plan, and I trust her and the parks development plans. They know what they are doing.

I tried to find it before making that post because I KNEW someone would ask, but honestly out of all the posts on this thread it was quite a chore trying to find it so I gave up. But I DO remember seeing her post it here, and it was during the 66daysatsea time period, Paula, can you help me with this?

Nice breakdown and animation. It kind of gives you an idea of how out of the way the newest slide complex is. I wonder if management regrets that placement now.

Thanks! Hyena Falls does seem way out of place on those images. I've yet to see it in person. I'm still curious why it was placed way out there when there was plenty of room behind Kima Bay without needed to remove many trees.

Also, the red outline isn't random. That's the actual property boundary as listed by the county HW resides in. Kinda looks like an elf's shoe....

I asked about the disconnected waterslide during the Q&A session on the New Hotness trip and whether the waterpark would eventually be filled in and expanded to that area. They just smiled and said "it's all part of the master plan".

This MIGHT have been what I was referring to but for some reason I thought it was Paula herself. I'll keep looking!

Last time I went to Holiday World, I almost forgot about Hyena Falls because . . . well . . . it was isolated from the other water slides. So when I finally walked up to Hyena Falls ( after walking for miles and miles) I kept thinking to myself I wonder why they decided to put this slide complex so far away from the other slides? It feels so isolated and alienated.

Perhaps Hyena Falls was just phase one of the expansion plans that Holiday World is planning to unleash within the next few seasons. Phase two is the installment of Thunderbird, a type of coaster that boggles the imagination of any rider and amusement park flyer. I don't know where the future phases would be, but methinks they will be placed during that long walkway leading to Hyena Falls. The end result would be that Hyena Falls won't feel isolated anymore, just another attraction surrounded by other attractions.

I can really see Hyena falls being relocated someday. Not this year, but possibly the next. The placement of Hyena falls was a poor design choice.

Paula stated earlier that the location of Hyena Falls is all part of the plan.

But I DO remember seeing her post it here, and it was during the 66daysatsea time period, Paula, can you help me with this?

I don't remember commenting on that; frankly, I don't think I would have.

But on a different topic, yes - we definitely plan to release the Thunderbird Theme for download.

Would anyone be interested in a ringtone? If so, which portion of the song should it be?

Not sure I could give up my beloved "Holiday Road" ringtone ... but I guess I could use both. (Heck, I keep my phone on stun all the time anyway. But once in a while, when the earbuds are in ... ahhh! I've missed calls because I'm so happy listening to Holiday Road.)