TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Hah that's exactly what I was telling somebody last night. With the raven being a walk on and the legend 30min+ it would actually make sense to do it. But I'm sure that's quite a process to move a whole train and get it ready and considering it happened in the middle of the season it just wouldn't be feasible.

I'm sure if you switched the situation and this was The Voyage we're talking about and not The Legend, they would have probably moved the train.

I am curious to know if they pushed the stalled train down the hill and let it complete the course or how they removed it from the tracks if it stalled on that anti-rollback.

While were on the subject of trains, I had a couple of thoughts about the Voyage using 6 cars instead of 7. First, it also is very good for maintenance as they can rotate the trains in and out, seeing they have two extra cars. This will allow them to keep each car in top form throughout the season. Next, I wonder if they will consider turning the line for the 7th car into a single rider line to help with capacity in some way? They might as well get some use out of it. Plus, they lost four riders per train and a single rider line might help them keep the train running at full capacity at all times. They would have to redo that end of the queue either way if The Voyage will no longer use 7 cars. They just need one gate for a single ride line, not two.

I can't wait to see them go vertical with construction. Any guesses how how long that takes to get to that point?

Probably as soon as the concrete work is done. They're probably going to have to bring in a brand new crew to install the supports and track.

Watching the trains roll out of the station, theres typically at least one empty seat every time

This is was exactly my thought behind turning it into a single rider line.

The train did stall on the Anti-Rollback next to Zinga.

You know I get why the anti-rollbacks are there. They wouldn't be there if there wasn't at least a chance of the train stalling there (obviously), but I've never had a ride on The Legend where I've got to that portion of the ride and thought that it was even close to happening.

The Legend don't get me wrong is an amazing coaster, and it has so much potential. It used to be my favorite of all three. I don't know, It seems like it just has the most wear of any of the coasters, like the pain of riding now is almost unbearable. I've ridden over at least 200 times within the last 4 years, but this year alone, I've honestly only ridden it 3 count it, 3 times. The Raven and Legend have over 60 rides on them each from me, just this year. I genuinely think that with a great deal of re-tracking or reshaping of some of the turns would do the coaster more than enough to get me back on it regularly. I saw the new Holiblog post (So If Leah, or Paula read this, I'm going to be completely honest ) The Legend is no way, any close to be considered a bad, overrated, sucky, or a crap coaster. It deserves any accolade it's earned. It is a one of a kind thrilling machine. Those turning drops are incredible and It's probably my favorite drop on any coaster. More than just the ordinary steep plummet. If anyone thinks otherwise, you clearly haven't ever experienced it at it's peak performance. Like every coaster, things get old, things get worn. Sometimes all something needs is a little TLC and it's back up to running the way it was on it's opening day. Maybe it's stalling is a wake up call to some and a more diligent rehab will partake soon. I wouldn't recommend running it through Happy Halloween weekends, to get all the kinks out and the issues taken care of (especially the one train, whew those lines have been crazy. Surprised it was walk on yesterday and I regret not riding, but again, it's a rough ride currently.) I'll just say, I hope The Legend get's a good amount of care this winter so it'll be up and at it in April. Seeing this video really shows you how much WIll loved The Legend even before it was even built, It really was, and still is in a way, a top of the line, thrilling, wooden coaster.

^ Here is the Holiblog that he's talking about: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/08/12/middle-child/

As I've said before, I didn't find The Legend that bad at all this year. Yeah it had a few bad spots, but nothing that kept me from riding it again. Now take this with a grain of salt, but I do recall reading on the Holiwood Nights Facebook page from one of the people who attended the event this year saying that they talked to someone from HW and that The Legend will be receiving the most attention out of the three woodies this off-season. With that being said, yes, The Legend has been somewhat neglected the past few off-seasons. I'm not saying the park is giving it the Mt. Olympus treatment, but with The Voyage needing constant attention, sometimes they have to put off work that is needed on The Legend and Raven. My hope is that the park finally decides to purchase some topper track to put on the problem areas of The Voyage and narrow down the amount of work it needs every off-season. Hopefully, this will allow them to balance out the repairs of all three of the woodies and allow each coaster to get the attention each one needs.

Btw, thanks for sharing that video of Will Koch and The Legend's announcement. The industry sure could use a few more like him.

I'd say there's a lot of foundation work back in the woods that we can't see that's yet to be completed. They're probably waiting on that, and then all of the steel work can be done at the same time. It takes a lot to mobilize/demobilize a crane and steel flying crew, so they don't want to have gaps where they're not working

The Legend will be receiving the most attention out of the three woodies this off-season.

I wonder if a general bulking-up of the superstructure around the bottom of the first drop would help. It might be silly to wonder something that would have been done could/should it have been done... but I just keep thinking about the bulkiest of woodies (Viper at Great America) and how smooth they seem to stay. The bottom of Legend's first drop is so high off the ground; that curve/drop combo is a high stress place. I'm sure the coaster cats know what needs done, I'm rambling.

Legend is my favorite The middle child.

^ I think this has been mentioned before, but The Legend has received some new bulky lateral cross bracing in some sections. These supports appear to be new the structure, as opposed to just being replaced.

I noticed the same thing but I wasn't sure if they were brand new to the structure or not. Definitely new wood though

^ Yeah I've never seen those supports on The Legend before. I noticed it right away as I was walking up the queue. I'm not sure if I just noticed it because it was new wood or not. I've actually never seen a wooden coaster with that type of bracing before. The brace went from the corner of the ledger to the opposite footer and it looked like one huge board. I can't remember if it was two boards connected together. It looks like it took some of the give (or sway) out of the structure though.