TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Well...that was an effective way to find the youngest posters on this board.

Back to actual them park stuff...what's it take to repaint/refinish large water slides like in Splashin Safari? I noticed most of them are starting to get REALLY faded. Especially Bakuli. There's a significant contrast between the top and the underside of the slide. The entire funnel on Zinga is faded/discolored as well.

Just an observation, and it may have been answered already, but I noticed on the pictures on page 709 that the Voyage is still running with 6 cars per train. I think I remember someone posing that question earlier this year to which Paula responded with something along the lines that they keep it at 6 cars and add the 7th as the crowd builds for the year. Well, it's August now and with that packed queue we saw on page 711 it just makes me wonder why they never put the 7th car on.

Just an observation, and it may have been answered already, but I noticed on the pictures on page 709 that the Voyage is still running with 6 cars per train. I think I remember someone posing that question earlier this year to which Paula responded with something along the lines that they keep it at 6 cars and add the 7th as the crowd builds for the year. Well, it's August now and with that packed queue we saw on page 711 it just makes me wonder why they never put the 7th car on.

That was my question when visiting as well. In fact, I almost got into the 7th car queue for the back seat until I realized they were only running 6 cars. My guess though is it is just to save on track wear and tear. Even with that full queue, it only took 40 minutes to get on the ride and that included waiting an extra 4 or 5 rides to get the very front seat, so I guess it isn't TOO terrible.

That was me. Honestly the only thing the 7th car does is make the back seat a tad bit wilder ride. She said they were keeping it off so there would be less wear and tear on the track. If it keeps The Voyage running smoother, I'm all for it.

^ It was like that in June as well. I'm guessing the train needed some major overhaul or something. Very weird it has been gone all season.

It was definitely there for this year's Holiwood Nights. Sucks to hear it stalled, the ride did feel like it was tad slower by the time it reached past the helix, though barely noticeable.

The Legend stalled a few months ago on the turn around and I haven't seen the Train since.

When I visited yesterday, I noticed the same thing. To start, there is a sign posted near the entrance that was screwed in (clearly showing it wasn't a one day deal), that said "The Legend will operate with one train today". I thought it was kind of weird not to see another train on the transfer track. We had to wait a solid 25-30 minutes on a ride that would had been a walk on.

Not realizing until reading what you said, I didn't know it was as serious. I asked one of the supervisors on the raven and she said it was on a one train operation for maintenance.

I wonder what the issue could be with the train?

^Interesting it's already in the track. For some reason I imagined they would add it when the track was already in place. How is it usually done?

Premier & Intamin usually ship their launch track without LSMs installed.

Don't those trains have some sort of automatic braking mechanism if it senses something wrong? If it's true that it stalled on the turnaround and hit the rollbacks, then it would probably take some work to get everything "unlocked" and operational again.

Not PTC's. There is nothing electrical inside of them. The train will pass through sensors, but there are no sensors on the train itself. Now it is my understanding that there are gauges on these wooden coaster trains that have to be set accordingly for the train to deliver the perfect ride. Wood can contrast and expand depending on how much moisture there is. So if it has rained a lot, that gauge is going to be opened up to allow the train to fly through the course. If it has been dry, that gauge is going to be closed or tightened to keep the train from bouncing around the track and allowing for a more comfortable ride. I believe when they were testing the Timberliners, they were running with an open gauge at all times, which was part of the reason the ride had gotten so rough between 2010-2011. Now my guess with The Legend is that the trains gauge wasn't either set right or something or wasn't staying set, and that is why it stalled going up that hill for the turnaround. Now I'm guessing that the trains have been sent to PTC or HW is waiting to have PTC come investigate the problem. They are obviously not safe to run or they would be on the track. Safety is the number one priority. I'm actually surprised that they didn't consider (maybe they did) moving a Raven train over like they did for The Voyage in 2010. The Raven has a much better one train operation capacity than The Legend does, or at least one would assume.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't consider (maybe they did) moving a Raven train over like they did for The Voyage in 2010. The Raven has a much better one train operation capacity than The Legend does, or at least one would assume.

Hah that's exactly what I was telling somebody last night. With the raven being a walk on and the legend 30min+ it would actually make sense to do it. But I'm sure that's quite a process to move a whole train and get it ready and considering it happened in the middle of the season it just wouldn't be feasible.