TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Ahhh yes I've had similar fun times at Holday World myself. As for the water thing.... I still have friends that didn't realize that you could get water from the pepsi oasis. Lots of people are aware of the Gatorade but not the water so much. Honestly I didn't even realize HW SOLD bottled water, lol.

As for the Voyage.... in its first year I got to know the Voyage Queue quite well. THere is rarely a wait now... but its first season I have some 1 hour plus waits. That station has LOTS of switch backs and hidden doors/rooms ect if/when the line warrants it. IT's actually a pretty cool queue/building, and the gigantic fans are a very welcome thing in the middle of July or August.

ok, looking at the webcam and the layout diagram am I missing something. The footers (in long straight row) are outside the building and the cut is parallel to them. So is there going to be the rest of the builing over that straight away and how does that map into the cut through pass? Diagrams using web cam photo?

ok, looking at the webcam and the layout diagram am I missing something. The footers (in long straight row) are outside the building and the cut is parallel to them. So is there going to be the rest of the builing over that straight away and how does that map into the cut through pass? Diagrams using web cam photo?

The building isn't the station. It's going to house the Flywheel for the LSM. To get through the station, you'll follow the path that leads under the track and continue on past the "Will Power" (Flywheel) Building, into the Queue. Watch the fly around a few times and you'll get it.

Double post but I wanted to share this with you all. Going up the stairs to the station for the night ride of Voyage last night, we thought "Hey this would be a good place to do a mass selfie" so we yelled for everyone to join in the selfie with my sister and they did. I think it shows how the fun and friendly atmosphere of the park carries over to the people that visit.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 12.06.25 AM.png[/attachment]

This is great! Such a great park with a great atmosphere.

I guess I'm the only one who feels that the mass "selfie" makes me want to face palm.

I thought it was pretty cool, probably because I'm younger. I do worry that this could become an encouraged trend at Six Flags parks though... YOLO! I promise that was sarcasm

Has it been mentioned if Thunderbird is going to have a single rider line?

If they put one on Mammoth and Wildebeest, you would hope they would put one on Thunderbird.

Just a few random thoughts that I've had the past few days. First off, I'm curious to see what the attendance numbers are going to look like for HW this year. I imagine they are down industry wide, the weather hasn't been very kind to parks like HW who count on the high temps to draw people into the water park. I live about two hours away and I've counted at least two and half weeks where the temps were in high 70's to low 80's in July. Not very ideal to be visiting waterparks. Second off, HW's daily operation ends next week on either Tuesday or Wednesday. For as long those 66 days felt like they dragged on, this summer seems like it has went by really fast. Last but not least, I don't know if Paula can answer this, but I'm curious to know when we're going to see the supports and track go vertical. Hopefully it will be soon!

^ Blame it on the schools starting back earlier. That is what happens when your average employee age runs from 14-22 years old. Good new is, schools starting back earlier means that parks like HW are opening earlier. I believe HW is opening in April for the first time in their 68 year history next season. Granted, it is only a week earlier then when they normally open.

I guess I'm the only one who feels that the mass "selfie" makes me want to face palm.

I thought it was pretty cool, probably because I'm younger. I do worry that this could become an encouraged trend at Six Flags parks though... YOLO! I promise that was sarcasm

I agree, that selfie was pretty cool. I mean, at most Six Flags parks, the crowds would've probably flipped off the camera. (BTW, that's not sarcasm, I honestly could see that happening) But at Holiday World, almost everybody smiled and joined in, which it pretty neat.

^ Wouldn't surprise me one bit at Six Flags. I could honestly see Six Flags taking the phrase "but first, let me take a selfie" and plastering it all over their merchandise, kinda like they did with YOLO...

^ good point about schools starting back earlier. Indiana schools started back last week. That seems ridiculous to me - starting school in July. I thought crowds would have been lighter but that wasn't the case

Wow, the last week of July? Schools in Illinois still have two more weeks before they go back. Then again, that speaks volume to our crappy education system in this state. Wrong place, wrong topic though. Didn't you visit on a Friday and Saturday? If so, I'm not surprised it was busy.

^ good point about schools starting back earlier. Indiana schools started back last week. That seems ridiculous to me - starting school in July. I thought crowds would have been lighter but that wasn't the case

Not all Indiana schools, only one school has went back in my area. And that was just yesterday, but all of us are starting in this month. So the park should be cleared up some soon.

I know a few schools in the Indy area went back on July 28.

They are doing a more year round calendar to try to help with retention. They take 2 weeks off in October (11th-26th), December (20th - January 5) and March (21st - April 5th) and then have 8 weeks off during the summer (June 1 - July 27). So longer fall and spring breaks, but shorter summer break.