TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^^ They clearly stated last week that the building was for the flywheel. As tall as the station is, I expect all the computer stuff that goes into the LSM's to be housed underneath the loading area. They did the same thing with all of The Voyage's computers (I know it doesn't use LSM's). I believe it is easier on the maintenance team that way.

I'm wondering... just how much land does the park own across the road (Legend lot area, which I've never been to)?

I believe the land he was referring to is across from the employee parking lot on highway 162. Conventional thought tells me that the employee parking lot will end up over there one day and they will work with the state to get a tunnel under the rode like they did for The Legend parking lot. They could go two ways with that employee parking lot if they do move across the road. One, use it for the continued expansion of the Thanksgiving section. Two, which would be my personal preference, expand upon the 4th of July section. I don't think they've fully maximized the theming potential that sections has to offer. They already have the pathways going down there, which are currently for employee use only right now.

^ Yes. The Flywheel is supposed to supply the power for the LSM's. The park paid to have a substation put in across the road to specifically power the Flywheel.

I think somebody brought it up on here last week. With Santa Claus being so rural and no major cities near by, the Flywheel was needed to ensure that the worst case scenario wouldn't happen when the train is launched, which would be that it could cause blackouts. I could have interpreted that wrong though.

I always think it's strange when people complain that Legend is rough, but then have no problem with something like Maverick (pain! neck and/or head - ouch!). Legend has strong laterals (which ROCKS in my book), and constantly needs work, but it's hardly what I would call any sort of painful rough. It's my favorite of the three at the park; maybe I'm just stickin up for it.

Thank you! That's my biggest (and basically only) downfall with Maverick, except it's not painful, just really harsh around those transitions into the turns. Legend is all sorts of awesome when it's running its best. Last I rode it, though, it had a serious rattle at the bottom of the first and second drop; the rest of the ride was a-okay. That's really the only time I considered it "rough." The coaster is intense, but I wouldn't consider it constantly being rough. (That's just my 2 cents though.)

I'm wondering... just how much land does the park own across the road (Legend lot area, which I've never been to)?

I believe the land he was referring to is across from the employee parking lot on highway 162. Conventional thought tells me that the employee parking lot will end up over there one day and they will work with the state to get a tunnel under the rode like they did for The Legend parking lot. They could go two ways with that employee parking lot if they do move across the road. One, use it for the continued expansion of the Thanksgiving section. Two, which would be my personal preference, expand upon the 4th of July section. I don't think they've fully maximized the theming potential that sections has to offer. They already have the pathways going down there, which are currently for employee use only right now.

Both, across from the employee parking lot (State Road 162) and land over by the Legend Lot. I'll make a simple map tomorrow.

You totally should come! You'll thank yourself once you're there. The employees are really nice, you get free soft drinks, the park is super clean, the food is amazing ( Plymoth Rock Café), and the rides are phenomenal!

If only that could be said for all theme parks.

Absolutely! HW completely deserved the Applause Award, and keep earning it every year.

Add to the list above: Very quick, efficient ride ops. Fairly priced food & souvenirs.

It seems so simple, but as well know, it really isn't or it wouldn't be so unusual in this industry!

As far as I know, there's more rides for them to do at Holiday World, versus Cedar Point. Holiday World's Christmas town has an area that cateres to the young ones with small rides, and there's the Holidog Fun town with a playground, junior coaster, and a train. Outside of those areas, I'm not sure if there's a whole lot more for them, unless they can meet the height requirement for Gobbler's Getaway. Don't forget the water park as well!

^Good job with the graphics!

Absolutely! HW completely deserved the Applause Award, and keep earning it every year.

I was a showing a friend of mine the applause award during her first trip to the park a few weeks ago. She brought to my attention something I never noticed: the fountain sounds like clapping hands! I was clueless!

Add to the list above: Very quick, efficient ride ops. Fairly priced food & souvenirs.

It seems so simple, but as well know, it really isn't or it wouldn't be so unusual in this industry!

Wouldn't it be amazing if the big thrill parks could at least get the operational stuff down? (Cedar Point and Busch Gardens Williamsburg are not included in that list.) I've often wondered if Holiday World could contract out their employees to other parks for training courses? But now that I think about it, the other parks wouldn't want that as they can just rest on their laurels as there may not be enough complaints; many of the guests who go to some of those parks don't know any better. If they pay for bad service, the service will continue.)

In case anyone can't tell what it's gonna look like as of right now, I made this graphic using the construction cam:

Very nice job! The direct comparison on this makes it actually intelligible, I usually have a hard time visualizing construction photos, this is awesome! Thanks!

--------------

Coming to Holiday World 2016: The Butter Churner

^ Nice job though, that was quite a helpful visual. Even though I probably won't be getting up to Indiana just yet, I am quite excited for this ride and the possibilities it opens up for B&M. Congrats to Holiday World for what looks like a great ride and an excellent park. Next time I'm in the north, Holiday World will be on my list of places to visit. Also, huge thanks to Paula for reaching out to all of us on this forum. I think that speaks volumes to how much this park cares about its fans and guests.

How will it be taking a 5 and 3 year old to this park? It seems like it would be awesome does anyone have experience? I typically try not to bron them if I go to Cedar Point it wherever, but HW seems like it could be more up their alley.

I have a 8, 6 & 2 year old I've been taking for years. There's a TON of things for the little ones. Pretty much the entire Christmas section is for small kids. There's about a dozen rides for them. And of course Santa is there everyday! There's also Holidog's fun town with more kiddie rides and a kiddie coaster along with a large playground. Several of the "big" rides are great for smaller kids including the Antique Cars, Carousel, Turkey Whirl, Gobbler Getaway, and more.

And I'm not even going to start listing all the things they can do in Splashin Safari. It would take too long! Let me just post this one picture. It's always a battle to get my kids to leave Safari Sam's Splash Land. The best part is that adults can ride all of these slides with the kids. They're really fun. So yeah, take your kids to Holiday World. Everyone will have a blast!

Short and sweet trip report from (half) day one:

The Voyage is running great. Extra smooth on the first half. Second half isn't too bad but just not as smooth as the first.

The Raven is pretty typical. Got some great airtime in the very back seat. We rode it right when we got there at 3:00 and there was no wait so they allowed us to ride it 4 times in a row.

The Legend is, as previously noted by others, the roughest of the three. The first 3 hills are actually the worst and then its better after that. Nothing unbearable though.

Mayflower is a lot better than I expected. It goes surprisingly high, almost to the point you feel inverted at the peak. It's a great addition to the line-up. Not too mild, not too intense. Just right.

It was the last night for the Friday night fireworks and they were excellent.

I love the new theming to some of the shops and new buildings. Makes me excited to see the theming for Thunderbird.

I'll have lots o pictures tomorrow.

The Voyage is running great. Extra smooth on the first half. Second half isn't too bad but just not as smooth as the first.

Man, I swear this coaster produces some of the most conflicting reports I've ever read about a ride. I read one last week where they said they loved the ride. Read another last week that called the first half El Toro like, and then the second half Son of Beast like. Seems like this happens every year though. Saw one on here where the guy said it be out El Toro for his #1 this year. I've read more good than bad this year, but I try not to get my hopes up because the ride tends to be a bit bi-polar. I really wish I could have rode it when I visited in June (it was closed all day), so I could already have made my own observations about the ride. I'm considering visiting the final weekend the waterpark is open, but I'm thinking about holding off for Happy Halloween Weekends to get better pictures of Thunderbird..

I love the new theming to some of the shops and new buildings. Makes me excited to see the theming for Thunderbird.

I'm so glad Holiday World is teaming up with PGAV for Thunderbird.

I'm so glad there has been a real emphasis on theming these last two years. Not saying there hasn't been theming before, but there seems to be a lot more detail being put into every project. I'm kinda of hoping they use PP's old station to create some sort of dark ride/shoot the chutes combination, or they come in and redo/re-theme Frightful Falls. I think they could do some crazy/creative things with Frightful Falls. It could really use a face lift. To be honest, the last time I rode it was about 5 years ago. Might give it a spin the next time I'm there.

I have a trip booked for Walt Disney World in December, I've been numerous, numerous, times. I'm usually excited as all get out, and I am, BUT, I might actually be more excited for Holiday World in 2015. This has NEVER happened before. I love that Holiday World is my home park, and I love being a Season Passholder, because every time you go, it's a great new experience.