TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

If I'm not mistaken, Liberty Launch was closed the day of the announcement.

How do I know? I was there.

No, I opened for a short amount of time.

...I don't think so.

Pics of Liberty Launch with that days paper in the background or BS!

I started my day off on The Legend to see how crappy this ride is. It was okay, but it needs a good amount of retracking to happen over the offseason. It was also really, really short.

First off, by the way you worded this, you already assumed the ride was "crappy" before you rode it? Also, I got my fair share of rides on The Legend a month ago (The Voyage was closed) and it actually wasn't that bad. I'm assuming you, like most people, mistook the severe laterals, which the ride is known for, as roughness. Does it need retracking in some spots? Yes, but it is not as bad as a lot of the other wooden coasters out there. Also, there is nothing short about The Legend. It is a good 2000 feet longer than The Raven.

I decided to go on Raven. I really, really liked it. Nice and really long.

What? There is nothing long about The Raven at all. It is quite known for being short and fast.

I'm assuming you, like most people, mistook the severe laterals, which the ride is known for, as roughness.

When I think of severe laterals, I think of El Toro...which doesn't rattle my brain like this coaster did.

^ Yeah...severe laterals shouldn't shake you to death. Laterals or not, The Legend is pretty rough. I only rode it once in my visit to Holiday World while hitting the other two coasters numerous times. It's unfortunate how rough it is, as it has a really neat layout and could be a fantastic ride if it was re-tracked.

Just to chime in, I hit up Holiday World as part of a five-week road trip earlier this summer and the Voyage (after five weeks of long, hard thought) actually beat out El Toro for my top spot. The turnaround and the run back down the hill were so unbelievably balls-to-the-wall that there's no way I couldn't let it - and it was smooth as anything, honestly.

One thing, coasterchitchat, the picture of The Raven that you have captioned as "The Raven ending" ,in your trip report, is actually Raven's beginning.

Yeah the word is that the long term plan is that Thanksgiving will eventually be located at the center of the park.
^I remember Will saying that years ago. Geez, I miss him being at the park, especially during HWN. His spirit is still alive and well, that's for sure. I was looking at the Google satellite map of the park, trying to figure out what will go where. Ahhh... dreaming is free. One can only imagine what they have in store for us down the years.

I've been looking/day dreaming about where and how HW will expand in the future as well.

Made this to help myself (and anyone else) visualize just what Holiday World has to work with.

This map shows 2015 plans as well as how much area the park still has for future expansions.

Red=Christmas

Dark Blue=Fourth of July

Orange=Halloween

Tan=Thanksgiving

Light Blue=Splashin' Safari

Pink=Picnic Areas

White=Employee Areas

Black=Parking (Only part of total parking)

The Red Outline is the property boundary for HW&SS. This doesn't include property on the other side of State Road 162 (to the East of the park) and State Road 245 (to the South) which splits The Raven Parking Lot and The Legend Parking Lot.

Here's a little animation I made showing the expansions from Santa Claus Land's opening in 1946 to Holiday World's opening of Thunderbird in 2015.

It's as accurate as I could make it (read: probably not very accurate) but close enough to get an idea of how much the park has grown over the years.

And....

There's people out there. Money hungry and ready to dig in to a lawsuit.

No. The most that could happen is someone asking the photos to be taken down. Since no money was exchanged for the photos and they were not used to sell a product, there is no ground for a lawsuit.

DESCRIPTION:

Thunderbird is the nation’s first launched wing coaster. It is Holiday World’s first major steel roller coaster, with a 0-60mph launch in 3.5 seconds, followed by multiple inversions – including a 14-story Immelmann loop, Zero-g roll, barrel roll, and loop. Continuing Holiday World’s tradition of sending roller coasters through thickly wooded and hilly terrain, Thunderbird at first soars and loops high in the air and then hugs the ground, surprising riders with rapid-fire “near misses” such as keyholes, themed elements, other rides, trees, and even the ground.

TRACK LENGTH: 3,035 feet

RIDE HEIGHT: 140 feet at Immelmann loop’s peak

RIDE ELEMENTS:

From start to finish:

•Launch, using LSM technology

•Immelmann loop

•Loop

•Horseshoe

•Elevated Spiral

•Zero-G roll

•S curve

•2 “headchopper” keyholes

•Carousel

•360 in-line twist (barrel roll)

•2 Crossovers with The Voyage

SPEED: Thunderbird’s top speed is 60 miles per hour

RIDE TIME: 1 minute, 18 seconds (station to station)

RIDE VIDEO: http://HolidayWorld2015.com

TRAINS: Two trains, each with five four-person coaches

CAPACITY: 1,140 Guests per hour

HEIGHT LIMIT: Riders must be at least 52 inches tall

INVESTMENT: $22 million

RIDE DESIGNER: Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), Switzerland

LEGEND: In 1620, as the Mayflower neared the end of its 66 days at sea, a mighty storm nearly capsized the ship, taking it hundreds of miles off course. As passengers and crew feared all was lost, an immense bird appeared in the sky. The thunderbird, whose wings created the thunder and eyes flashed the lightning of the powerful storm, rescued the ship by launching it through the sky to the New World.

I don't think this has been posted. But it includes a bunch of details about ThunderBird.

Nice breakdown and animation. It kind of gives you an idea of how out of the way the newest slide complex is. I wonder if management regrets that placement now.

Thanks! Hyena Falls does seem way out of place on those images. I've yet to see it in person. I'm still curious why it was placed way out there when there was plenty of room behind Kima Bay without needed to remove many trees.

Also, the red outline isn't random. That's the actual property boundary as listed by the county HW resides in. Kinda looks like an elf's shoe....

Nice breakdown and animation. It kind of gives you an idea of how out of the way the newest slide complex is. I wonder if management regrets that placement now.

Thanks! Hyena Falls does seem way out of place on those images. I've yet to see it in person. I'm still curious why it was placed way out there when there was plenty of room behind Kima Bay without needed to remove many trees.

Also, the red outline isn't random. That's the actual property boundary as listed by the county HW resides in. Kinda looks like an elf's shoe....

I asked about the disconnected waterslide during the Q&A session on the New Hotness trip and whether the waterpark would eventually be filled in and expanded to that area. They just smiled and said "it's all part of the master plan".

I'm assuming you, like most people, mistook the severe laterals, which the ride is known for, as roughness.

When I think of severe laterals, I think of El Toro...which doesn't rattle my brain like this coaster did.

^ Yeah...severe laterals shouldn't shake you to death. Laterals or not, The Legend is pretty rough. I only rode it once in my visit to Holiday World while hitting the other two coasters numerous times. It's unfortunate how rough it is, as it has a really neat layout and could be a fantastic ride if it was re-tracked.

I'm not gonna sit here and say the thing was butter smooth or even comparable to Intamin or RMC woodies, because it wasn't. When I compare how rough a ride is, I always compare it to the ride I took on Mean Streak in the summer of 2010 and The Voyage that same summer. The Legend never came close to being that rough, nor did I get off thinking I had an overall uncomfortable experience. Yes, there were several potholes at the bottom of several of the valleys, mainly after the turnaround at Zinga, the tunnel after the double up, and right after coming out of the double helix. Those were the only areas that I found uncomfortable. Nothing that stopped me from getting back in line and riding again.

I don't think this has been posted. But it includes a bunch of details about ThunderBird.

Check the page on this thread that has the announcement on it.

Edited by ZeroGravity55