TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I just can't wait to get some great shots of Thunderbird towering over the cornfields in October

and if people are offended by the Newspaper, blame the newspaper, not Holiday World.

Bunch of morons will get offended over anything.

I should have cropped it before posting. Was still bleary-eyed from the long announcement day and didn't scrutinize the way I usually would.

That track is a Mammoth!!! No pun intended!

Oh and today is my sixteenth birthday so my parents asked me what i wanted and i said that my gift was a brand new B&M and track at Holiday World!

I just can't wait to get some great shots of Thunderbird towering over the cornfields in October

and if people are offended by the Newspaper, blame the newspaper, not Holiday World.

Bunch of morons will get offended over anything.

I should have cropped it before posting. Was still bleary-eyed from the long announcement day and didn't scrutinize the way I usually would.

I wouldn't worry about it! I mean if people actually bought a newspaper that day, would they get offended by it? I'm not offended or mad at you guys at all. It's a newspaper, you're going to see a diverse array of stories.

Glad to see that track arrive from Clermont Steel!

I'm curious as to how much track and supports we will actually see on the construction cam before the crane(s) position it into place on the footers. HW usually stores ride parts on the North end of the employee parking lot. This is behind the construction cam's view. Though, they might not store this ride there because of the amount of steel they will be getting and to keep the steel closer so they don't have to move it too many times.

So in the teaser videos, I can't help but notice they include a "clicking" sound when the trains go through zero G or negative G elements. On a normal coaster, that would be the sound of chain dogs and role backs bouncing up in the zero/negative Gs and then back down when positive Gs return. Kinda funny since I would assume this coaster won't have them! It's probably just stock audio B&M has on file.

That said, with the "fairly silent" trains/track B&M made famous, and no need for chain dogs/roll backs, I think this ride has the potential to sound reeeeaaaally cool (as in, as close to silent as a coaster can get!).

I can't wait!

Oh I hate to double post but i feel like no one has mentioned this yet. Im not sure whether I saw it on here or Carowinds Connection, but someone mentioned how a 125 ft tall loop right after the first drop(or launch in this case) is very bland .

Thanks again for the coaster enthusiast day in May to show off the construction site and ERT on Voyage and looking forward to riding Thunderbird next year.

For a 125 foot loop to be considered bland shows some folks have gotten jaded.

When I first started riding coasters the record height for a lift hill was about that tall. And some of the best modern coasters are shorter than this ...

Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom is a world class ride at about 100 feet, it shows that a ride doesn't have to be super tall to be well designed. There's a number of 200 foot plus coasters that are not that spectacular despite their "goliath" size (at SFMM). Does anyone like Mean Streak more than Raven?

Holiday Whirled will probably do very well with Thunderbird since KK doesn't have any upside down coasters other than the SLC. Reopening T2 next year probably won't be noteworthy unless a miracle is performed on an old SLC.

The only wing rider I've been on is Wild Eagle, which was fun and beautiful but not my favorite ride. It had a great view of the Smokies but didn't take advantage of the terrain around the coaster.

Thunderbird looks like it will be the best wing rider so far. I like the tree top overbanked turns and how they are next to Voyage's second and third hills. The "hand prints" on the "barn" are a nice touch, too.

The wind mill theming at the bottom of the immelman is nice, but it would be great to see a real wind turbine installed somewhere in the open area between the coaster and the nearby road. Perhaps some solar panels could be added to make Thunderbird the first solar power assisted launch coaster in the US. Solar panels installed along the path from Voyage to Thunderbird could double as shady areas for people watching the ride -

This message typed using solar electricity.

Wait...is this incredible hulk 2.0? So B&M has not, yet still, fabricated their own launch system?

As far as i know this is all B&M? No other company will be used for the LIM's. Thunderbird will be their first launch coaster produced entirely by themselves.

^

This hasn't been brought up on here, but the TPR group had a Q&A with four people from the park (Paula was one of them) who knew about Thunderbird from the beginning. Some of the folks in the group were kind enough to tweet some of the answers they got and Robb was kind enough to retweet them. Robb actually tweeted the answer I found most fascinating, Thunderbird was originally designed to be a regular B&M inverted coaster in the late 2000's. The design for Thunderbird was adapted from the this original design. Also, Robb tweeted that the LSM launch was being supplied by Intrasys, not B&M (if I interrupted that correctly). It was also said that HW didn't just want a normal wing coaster, they wanted the cutting edge with launch and well-themed launch room.

Okay, now this is where my speculation comes in. Leah Koch had said that her father, Will Koch had planned on building the original concept for this ride in 2009-2010, but he dropped those plans and moved on to something else. That is right around the time that B&M would have been developing the wing rider concept. I'm guessing that B&M sold him on this concept and he wanted to move forward with this rather than the inverted coaster. So basically what I'm saying is that if B&M hadn't been developing the wing rider concept, HW would have a B&M invert in the park for 4-5 years now. That is just my speculation. Say what you want about wing rider vs invert and which one you rather have (I think I already know the majority answer), but I think this a testament to Will Koch for always looking to have the best cutting edge technology/rides in his park.

Maybe B&M designed the launch and Intrasys supplied it?

Wait...is this incredible hulk 2.0? So B&M has not, yet still, fabricated their own launch system?

As far as i know this is all B&M? No other company will be used for the LIM's. Thunderbird will be their first launch coaster produced entirely by themselves.

That's what I thought as well until I read this...

This hasn't been brought up on here, but the TPR group had a Q&A with four people from the park (Paula was one of them) who knew about Thunderbird from the beginning. Some of the folks in the group were kind enough to tweet some of the answers they got and Robb was kind enough to retweet them. Robb actually tweeted the answer I found most fascinating, Thunderbird was originally designed to be a regular B&M inverted coaster in the late 2000's. The design for Thunderbird was adapted from the this original design. Also, Robb tweeted that the LSM launch was being supplied by Intrasys, not B&M (if I interrupted that correctly). It was also said that HW didn't just want a normal wing coaster, they wanted the cutting edge with launch and well-themed launch room.

Does B&M actually build anything they design or do they just contract out that aspect to businesses like CSF? That would explain a lot in my mind. As I said before, perhaps they designed the launch and somebody who deals with that technology, in this case Intrasys, is building it/ supplying it.