TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^^^^ This. Is. Beautiful.

It seems like nowadays, unless a coaster is OMG KICK YOUR A** FORCEFUL, it gets trashed on. I don't care if Carowinds' new coaster is an exact clone of Leviathan, I still look forward to the announcement, it being built, and hopefully riding it one day. I don't care if Millennium Force is the most overrated coaster in the world, I'm gonna jump in line and ride it anyway. I don't care if Silver Bullet is viewed as the most pathetic invert in the world. I'm gonna get on and just have a great time riding a roller coaster, like an enthusiast should do. It seems that an enthusiast's window of what is considered a great ride is getting narrower and narrower every year, forgetting that they are an ENTHUSIAST, and are supposed to be ENTHUSIASTIC about a ride and enjoy what they have a passion for. What we all have a passion for.

Sorry, I had to release some steam too.

Regarding Thunderbird, I think it looks like a great, unique ride and a perfect addition to Holiday World. It could be the most forceless coaster in the world, but if I ever visit Holiday World, I know I'm going to ride it and just have a good time! That's what being an enthusiast is all about!

^^ I agree with this so much. I love to debate people, that is how a lot of my college classes are set up. So when I go into a situation where someone has a differing a opinion than me, I almost look at it as a debate. That is why so many of my posts on here (when someone has a differing a opinion than I do) come with logical thought that seems to make the most sense to me. For example, I predicted that this ride was going to be a B&M flyer with a lying down launch. I was wrong, BIG TIME. I'll be the first to admit it. But when I was making the case for it, it was not what I wanted the park to build, but with all the physical evidence available, it logically made the most sense in my mind. As I go back and look at my posts over the last 2-3 weeks, I can tell I was getting more more frustrated with the quality of the posts on this thread. Honestly some of them lacked common sense. I usually try and keep to myself on those type of things, but I can tell it was bothering me by the sarcasm in my posts. I think at the time, I really wanted to get to the announcement date and I couldn't hold my tongue any longer. I knew as soon as I saw Thunderbird launch out of the station, some people were gonna be really let down by this ride, but for the life of me, I'll never understand why some people think the way they do. I'll never understand why people feel the need to downgrade somebody in a debate. If I ever made somebody feel that way on here, I'm sorry. It was never my intention to do so.

With that out of the way, can we enthusiasts actually be enthusiastic and drop the negativity? A family owned park in the middle of no where Indiana just dropped 22 million dollars on a one of kind roller coaster from one of the best known coaster manufacturers in the world. That is something to be enthusiastic about. No matter what you think about how they could of spent the 22 million, they've made a decision that vastly improves the park and fills a need the park as been missing. For those who are disappointed, I'll tell you this. HW is listening (I'm sure Paula has seen most of the complaints). This isn't going to be their last coaster, I'm sure of that. They have 90 acres left to develop and there aren't enough flats or water rides out there to fill it. They'll build another one and maybe, just maybe, it'll peak your interests.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Holy crap this ride just put this park on my bucket list! Always wanted to visit Holiday World, but now I have to. This place just seems like my dream park, and I look forward to making a trip down there someday to experience it all. I'm also digging B&M's newer style, it looks like they are producing very high quality rides that that change the view on a whole park. I'm so glad B&M is starting to do launched coasters because there is nothing like going from zero to a blur in a matter of seconds. Thumderbird seems like a mixture of everything that a great ride needs.

^^You hit the nail right on the head. Even if this is not the best attraction or the best use of money they have, the optimism for the future should be exciting. It is great to see a new park enter the world of adding major rides, and who knows what they could be building five years from now. This is adding a new park to the league of being able to build big coasters; every time a non-corporate park enters this stage, an angel gets its wings.

Considering it's just after midnight for some of us, it's not that impressive...

I am happy to see Holiday World with what looks like it'll be an incredibly fun ride that most of their guests will enjoy. (Regardless of what the (incredibly whiny) coaster enthusiast community wants from the new ride).

Congratulations to Holiday World on an extremely well thought out new addition and a truly brilliant marketing campaign! This was the very first time in a long time where I had high expectations for an announcement (I was expecting a B&M Wing Coaster, but nothing like what was presented-the layout is great and the launch really surprised me) and it not only exceeded them but blew me away. Personally, as B&M is in my opinion the absolute best steel coaster manufacturer there is and their Wing Coaster model is one I personally enjoy, I was really impressed; this appears to be a model that will truly take things to the next level and has the potential to be a real game changer. Outstanding choice on the ride, and the entire package-including the theming and back story, are top notch. I know this has inspired me to include HW in my plans for 2015!

Back to actual coaster related stuffs...I think it'd be awesome if while waiting in line for thunderbird, they had a video playing retelling the legend behind the ride. Almost like a short film. With the production value in the reveal video, I'd say they would have no problem getting it done. It would really enhance the experience while waiting inside the barn where the thunderbird has been cooped up and hearing the thunder and take off

^^ I agree with this so much. I love to debate people, that is how a lot of my college classes are set up. So when I go into a situation where someone has a differing a opinion than me, I almost look at it as a debate. That is why so many of my posts on here (when someone has a differing a opinion than I do) come with logical thought that seems to make the most sense to me. For example, I predicted that this ride was going to be a B&M flyer with a lying down launch. I was wrong, BIG TIME. I'll be the first to admit it. But when I was making the case for it, it was not what I wanted the park to build, but with all the physical evidence available, it logically made the most sense in my mind. As I go back and look at my posts over the last 2-3 weeks, I can tell I was getting more more frustrated with the quality of the posts on this thread. Honestly some of them lacked common sense. I usually try and keep to myself on those type of things, but I can tell it was bothering me by the sarcasm in my posts. I think at the time, I really wanted to get to the announcement date and I couldn't hold my tongue any longer. I knew as soon as I saw Thunderbird launch out of the station, some people were gonna be really let down by this ride, but for the life of me, I'll never understand why some people think the way they do. I'll never understand why people feel the need to downgrade somebody in a debate. If I ever made somebody feel that way on here, I'm sorry. It was never my intention to do so.

With that out of the way, can we enthusiasts actually be enthusiastic and drop the negativity? A family owned park in the middle of no where Indiana just dropped 22 million dollars on a one of kind roller coaster from one of the best known coaster manufacturers in the world. That is something to be enthusiastic about. No matter what you think about how they could of spent the 22 million, they've made a decision that vastly improves the park and fills a need the park as been missing. For those who are disappointed, I'll tell you this. HW is listening (I'm sure Paula has seen most of the complaints). This isn't going to be their last coaster, I'm sure of that. They have 90 acres left to develop and there aren't enough flats or water rides out there to fill it. They'll build another one and maybe, just maybe, it'll peak your interests.

Couldn't agree more, those who don't appreciate it can stay home, the lines will be shorter for me. I think it's a great 1st major Steel for Holiday World. If it doesn't live up to others standards they can go to CP and pay 3X as much to do 3X as less and spend 3x as much.

^thats not the point. The point is that its kinda ridiculous how people who have different opinions regarding the ride (they arent excited for it, its not really their thing, etc) are getting absolutely ripped apart by some weirdly defensive posters for no apparent reason.

This is a discussion board, if a different opinion is presented, its more interesting to hear it actually discussed rather than tear it apart. I mean jeez, none of you guys designed it, so I dont know where all the defensiveness toward this ride is coming from. So much butthurt in this thread......

**For the record, I think the ride looks cool, so to the posters who are being ridiculously sensitive to any sort of negative-ish comment...please dont hurt me

Has this thread cooled down yet?

Thunderbird looks like a lot of fun (much like other recent B&Ms) but I feel like the capacity will be a nightmare. Short trains work with shorter launched coasters like Xcelerator and Storm Runner but this one looks like it lasts as long as a normal coaster would.

After all the hate that wing coasters get on this forum, I'm just a little surprised everybody is being so overwhelmingly positive about this, for a park that has possibly the greatest wooden coaster line-up of any park on the planet. I can't help but wonder what this thread would look like if more people were willing to speak their mind.

^ I think the hate for wing coaters is equaled to the number of people that aren't thrilled about this ride. I personally enjoyed the two I've been on (Gatekeeper and Wild Eagle) mainly because I liked the sensation of freedom. I think Thunderbird adds to it with the launch and a well-paced layout and theming to make up for what those other two lacked. I'm thinking of this being equivalent to steel version of The Raven for the park. Sure, its not the longest, fastest or tallest coaster, but for a "first coaster" it does what it needs to do for the park while having the right amount of forces and thrilling elements.

Not 1 of us should be dissing this yet, none of us have rode it. Those who think it's a waste of money, it wasn't yours to spend. Holiday World doesn't only aim to please the "Coaster Enthusiasts" , they aim to please the General Public also, they're the ones who spend the money. This will be a BIG HIT for them, so it may not be up to " your" standards, but the GP will eat it up. Let it rest and just be Happy for Holiday World building this, it's a BIG step for them.

So, to change the subject a little, what else should HW think about populating "Thunderbird Plaza" with?

They're going to have a nice little farm theme going on, with maybe some bathrooms... assuming those are what the two smaller buildings are in the detail artwork (along with a photo/gift shop)... but what else?

Petting zoo with farm animals? Thunderbird themed Frog Hopper?

Maybe a chairlift to get to/from the main gate area? One has to admit, this would be pretty awesome, and HW doesn't have any transportation ride systems yet... plus a nice alpine themed chairlift building would be lovely in the Christmas area.

Constructive thoughts?

So, to change the subject a little, what else should HW think about populating "Thunderbird Plaza" with?

They're going to have a nice little farm theme going on, with maybe some bathrooms... assuming those are what the two smaller buildings are in the detail artwork (along with a photo/gift shop)... but what else?

Maybe a chairlift to get to/from the main gate area? One has to admit, this would be pretty awesome, and HW doesn't have any transportation ride systems yet... plus a nice alpine themed chairlift building would be lovely in the Christmas area.

Constructive thoughts?

Actually they have Trams at the park, but once inside no other transportation is provided to my knowledge.

^^I think the chairlift idea is quite brilliant and has it's merits. Afterall, it is quite a long hike from the top of the hill to Thanksgiving. Even worse in the opposite direction. Especially after a long day. Perhaps a three point lift to also get to the middle of Splashin' Safari. Paula? Thoughts?

Constructive thoughts?

I think they need a Petting Zoo, that would fit the area so much.

Edited by ratdogg68

Constructive thoughts?

I think they need a Petting Zoo, that would fir the area so much.

I'd prefer a Birds of Prey show

Constructive thoughts?

I think they need a Petting Zoo, that would fir the area so much.

I'd prefer a Birds of Prey show

They done said that wasn't happening, LOL. But it would work, a petting Zoo, Birds Of Prey show and a Butter Churning Exhibit?

Has this thread cooled down yet?

Thunderbird looks like a lot of fun (much like other recent B&Ms) but I feel like the capacity will be a nightmare. Short trains work with shorter launched coasters like Xcelerator and Storm Runner but this one looks like it lasts as long as a normal coaster would.

Kingda Ka has trains that sit 18 and they dispatch (or did) around 1 per minute. The animated POV is 1min 23 s long, which is the duration of an entire cycle, so it might not tbe that bad.