TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Anyone else feel this would work much better as a flying coaster?

Hear me out. Between this and Wild Eagle at Dollywood, it's like the parks aren't sure what a wingrider is best used for. That is close calls with the environmental elements around the ride. Raptor does this perfectly, as do a few of the other ones (Gatekeeper). Thunderbird here will have the barn, sure, but the vast majority of the ride is spent on oversized elements that do nothing to enhance the design of the train.

Imagine if you went through this same layout on the flyer trains. The launch would be spectacular into that immelmann! The large, swooping turns that are high up would also be great!

It's a nice design and definitely going to be a hit, but I feel like they just planted the wrong train on the track.

I really hope this is complete sarcasm. Like, seriously. It's been less than two hours. And people are already nitpicking the ride and talking about how they'd rather have a flying coaster.

Edit: Did not mean for that to come out rude. I just don't see how a flying coaster would be better than a wing coaster. Thunderbird looks spectacular. The best coaster EVA? No. But will it be a game changer for both Holiday World AND B&M? Hell yes.

Edited by Woodie Warrior

Hear me out. Between this and Wild Eagle at Dollywood, it's like the parks aren't sure what a wingrider is best used for. That is close calls with the environmental elements around the ride. Raptor does this perfectly, as do a few of the other ones (Gatekeeper). Thunderbird here will have the barn, sure, but the vast majority of the ride is spent on oversized elements that do nothing to enhance the design of the train.

Imagine if you went through this same layout on the flyer trains. The launch would be spectacular into that immelmann! The large, swooping turns that are high up would also be great!

It's a nice design and definitely going to be a hit, but I feel like they just planted the wrong train on the track.

I really hope this is complete sarcasm. Like, seriously. It's been less than two hours. And people are already nitpicking the ride and talking about how they'd rather have a flying coaster.

If that's how they feel then they should go find a flyer and ride it.

This is NOT a flyer and never will be.

This IS a great addition to HW.

I still haven't been on a wingrider but a launch on one of those seems like it would be really fun.

Edit: Did not mean for that to come out rude. I just don't see how a flying coaster would be better than a wing coaster. Thunderbird looks spectacular. The best coaster EVA? No. But will it be a game changer for both Holiday World AND B&M? Hell yes.

I'm not nitpicking, nor would I have preferred a flyer. Nor am I targeting Holiday World. It's something I've noticed that's a shame since Raptor is such a great ride but the thing that MAKES it great (the constant close calls, interaction with the plaza, geysers and fountains galore) hasn't been embraced.

Personally I couldn't care less about whether it's a flyer or a wingrider. They're both sub-par experiences unless they're done right (and I have yet to see a flyer done right).

I thought Kyle's comment was a good discussion topic for a roller coaster forum, especially about one just launched with some great animations--how about maybe discussing/ answering the question, which wasn't at all malicious? Could this type of layout work for a flying coaster?

Speaking to large elements, so far I think the best application of a Wing Coaster has been Fluch der Demonen because it is the opposite--compact and makes great use of the winged seating through all the comparatively tight twists and turns--the effect is really great. Large winged coasters like this and Gatekeeper really are more of a "journey" for sure.

This ride is going to look great at the park.

^^I think the OP made a valid point, as yes, some of those elements would be cool if possible on a flyer, but having both a wing coaster and a flyer at my home park, I would take the wing coaster any day, and there is no way this coaster is better as a flyer.

Really cool looki coaster. I totally called the orange track! The coaster looks cool, hope it roars. I also like how the dog goes off before the launch. The theming looks cool. Interesting name though. I was expecting a two syllable name. The _____. Like you have voyage raven and legend that all had two syllables so interesting that they broke the streak. I honestly don't care though the one thing though that I thought was interesting was the choice of color for the trains. I don't think I would've chosen that color scheme. Besides all that, I have more positive things to say than negative. This will he a Great addition. Launch, inversions, and different seating style. Perfect.

I can't wait to see your coaster analysis on this one.

^^I think the OP made a valid point, as yes, some of those elements would be cool if possible on a flyer, but having both a wing coaster and a flyer at my home park, I would take the wing coaster any day, and there is no way this coaster is better as a flyer.

Definitely agreed with that when comparing to flyers. Not to mention how much more comfortable the wing coasters are.

Ok sorry to double post but I'm going to give my opinion. I was surprised in a good way seeing that this was a wingrider over a flyer. Also, the colors and station are beautiful and I love all of the farm theming around the ride. As for the ride itself, it looks awesome, it is short but sweet and I love the near miss through the house and how it crosses the voyage, and that Immelmann !!!

In regards to the costs comments, I think its important to realize that Holiday World clearly took a different approach with this ride. This isn't a ride plopped on a flat plot of land then covered with grass on the bottom and a bare-bones station (ala Six Flags and Cedar Fair). I am really glad HW is doing this expansion right and adding a really well themed area that will bring great atmosphere to the park, and differentiate the ride even more.

Bravo, Holiday World.

Also about the cost of the ride: I know the Voyage's construction cost was very little compared to $22 million. But I'm guessing the annual retracking has probably tripled the amount by now. Steel coasters don't ever require retracking.

Who remembers the good ole days of when we were convinced we wouldn't be seeing a launched B&M for a LONG time? Now B&M has just gone up a level in terms of how much I like them. They now are manufacturing almost every single coaster type. They've mos recently added giga, family, and now launched. I hope it works out well for them. And lets hope that there aren't any problems with tightening best restraints. I'm also interested in hearing how people will like the voyage now that it has track flying over part of it. That, and the new view to look at from the top.

Why are people saying this is a family thrill ride at 60 MPH and 140 ft. height? I believe this should be considered a thrill ride, period. The height restriction will be lower than an average thrill ride, but this is a thrill ride at a family park.

I wish I could ride this next year. Live too far away. It looks so stunning! I love the look of the station and the surrounding area. I'm surprised Holiday World isn't themeing the cars to a bird. Every other wing coaster has done some minor themeing to the cars, but these are just plain looking,oh well, it dosen't effect the ride experience.