TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I really hope it's not a B&M although all signs point towards it. If it does happen to be a B&M I hope it's a prototype instead of a Wing Rider or Flyer. B&M needs to starting pushing the envelope more, it seems like everything is cookie cutter these days. Yawn.

Um... have you gone to Kings Island in Mason, Ohio and ridden the new steel coaster there called Banshee? If you haven't, you're in for a treat.

B&M caters to what the parks what. Kings Island wanted something extreme and that was Banshee. Cedar Point wanted something to change the skyline and that was GateKeeper.

Parks tells the manufacturer what they want, NOT B&M.

But do we really know this? I suspect that many parks provide some general parameters, "thrill ride" "lots of action" or "family ride", but leave lots of discretion to the execution to B&M in terms of hill profiles, negative or positive G's, elements, etc.. Maybe I am wrong, but I think B&M has a lot of say in the ultimate feel of the coaster, and that would explain why most of their rides seem to have very similar riding experiences. I mean, consider all their hypers -- most tend to have generally forceless turns, good floater air (with some variety -- I think nitro is best on air but the similarities are greater than the differences), etc... I'm not talking about the recycling of similar elements from ride to ride (which happens all the time), but rather that there appears to be an envelope through which B&M will not move beyond. For instance, I wonder how much the park really specifies things, and how much input B&M ultimately has in determining, for instance, that it will never design a hill to provide the kind of ejector air that an El toro or superman/bizarro NSFGE has?

It can't be that all the parks requested the same general level of intensity? You can say the same about most of their inverted coasters (barring the family ride in China).

(and I'm not down on B&M or a basher -- just curious on the issue of how much say they really have in how intense the ride turns out)

To those who think the name will be Thunderbird, don't forget, she's been throwing out red herrings in the clues, and don't forget that she posted the clue a long time after someone mentioned the name. It's a distraction it seems like.

Nope.

That's wishful thinking. Thunderbird has nothing to do with Thanksgiving itself, nor a direct correlation with the Mayflower, or Pilgrims.

A few questions' date=' how does Thunderbird relate to Thanksgiving, and how does the park theme it such a way that explains that question to their guests? I know the mentions in the journal to birds and the storms, but how do they theme in such way that it makes sense to their guests that it is in the Thanksgiving section? Essentially, I just asked the same question twice, but I wanted to clarify what I was asking.[/quote']

Thunderbirds are prominent in Native American legends. The birds were said to be the cause of thunder, lightning, and strong, forceful winds. They were feared and awed as powerful beasts worthy of the upmost respect. It would have been one of the first things the pilgrims heard from the Native Americans when they told them of the storms they sailed through. Many of the Native American traditions were adopted by the pilgrims and vice versa. A Voyage to the New World wouldn't be complete unless it crossed the path of this flying creature.

How does HW inform their guests about this? I'm not sure how they will do it but one way would be to describe the legend of the thunderbird on themed signage in the queue. Like I said in my prediction, I think the new HW will take theming up a notch.

Just read the WIKIpedia article on the Thunderbird.

Here's an excerpt:

It is described as a large bird, capable of creating storms and thundering while it flies. Clouds are pulled together by its wingbeats, the sound of thunder made by its wings clapping, sheet lightning the light flashing from its eyes when it blinks, and individual lightning bolts made by the glowing snakes that it carries around with it. In masks, it is depicted as multi-colored, with two curling horns, and, often, teeth within its beak.

If that doesn't sound like a bad a** roller coaster, I don't know what does.

I hope I answered your question. I honestly don't know how they will make the theming work. I just know they'll make it work.

B&M has and still makes the best coasters. Safe coasters too.

Well that all a matter of opinion. I agree on the safety and reliability, they have the crown on that. Best coasters? You'll have to ask El Toro, Bizzaro, Expedition-G Force and I305 about that

Agreed. That is such a blanket statement. The top five in both Golden Ticket and Mitch Hawker also tend to disagree with that statement.

Of course everyone makes safe coasters, but B&M seem to be the top contender for safety based on their record.

All coasters are built safe. We're not talking about driving a Volvo here, we're talking about fun

To those who think the name will be Thunderbird, don't forget, she's been throwing out red herrings in the clues, and don't forget that she posted the clue a long time after someone mentioned the name. It's a distraction it seems like.

Nope.

That's wishful thinking. Thunderbird has nothing to do with Thanksgiving itself, nor a direct correlation with the Mayflower, or Pilgrims.

Yeah, remind me again what relation The Raven has to Halloween.

Thanks for the help, ZeroGravity.

Fun isn't the only factor in building this thing. It has to be reliable, or else your just dropping pennies in the same bucket that Pilgrim's Plunge was in.

Or into something as awesome as Wildebeest, Mammoth or Voyage, which gives me hope that this will be a fantastic attraction, even if B&M.

Nope.

Edgar Allen Poe's poem the Raven fits right into Halloween Theme.

Nope.

I see what youre saying but i also get their logic. Ravens/ crows are seen in classic scary movies and scenes.... cemeteries, dath, around scare"crows" which is a classic halloween symbol.. I get the whole Thunderbird thing with thanksgiving and this storyline. With Thunderbird being a native american word and native americans are part of thanksgiving and that Thunderbirds are the makers of large storms much like the storm the crew is dealing with in the 66 days. Im not saying it males complete sense, but I get it.

Edgar Allen Poe's poem the Raven fits right into Halloween Theme.

I'm not saying it doesn't. I only asked how it fits. Saying it fits is not an explanation of how. I love the name and the theme.

Edgar Allen Poe's poem is set in December and makes no mention of the October holiday. My point was that HW made The Raven work perfectly so what makes anyone think they can't make Thunderbird work in the Thanksgiving section.

Edit* Also, HW has quite a few "bird" named rides. The Raven, Scarecrow Scrambler (ok that one's a stretch), Eagle's Flight, Turkey Whirl...

If you're worried about the servers holding up tomorrow evening, don't miss this HoliBlog post: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/07/23/servers-dont-fail-us-now/ Our guy has everything taken care of ...

The streaming starts at 8:15pm CDT with some interactive polling. The announcement is at 8:30pm. That's when ... wait for it ... our ship hits the fans.

Here's the link: http://HolidayWorld2015.com

A post-announcement podcast with a 66 Days-recap will start at 9:15pm CDT on CoasterRadio.com - send them all your questions about the various hints. There are a couple no one caught, believe it or not!

Thanks for all the fun the past 66 days.

If you're worried about the servers holding up tomorrow evening, don't miss this HoliBlog post: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/07/23/servers-dont-fail-us-now/ Our guy has everything taken care of ...

The streaming starts at 8:15pm CDT with some interactive polling. The announcement is at 8:30pm. That's when ... wait for it ... our ship hits the fans.

Here's the link: http://HolidayWorld2015.com

A post-announcement podcast with a 66 Days-recap will start at 9:15pm CDT on CoasterRadio.com - send them all your questions about the various hints. There are a couple no one caught, believe it or not!

Thanks for all the fun the past 66 days.

I'll have 4 devices streaming the event... lol I actually have people coming over to watch with me. lol.

Also, only a couple clues weren't caught? LOL I figured we had probably missed a good portion of the hints, especially the ones that had pictures, lol.

Can't wait! Put in me in the "I'm so nerdy and excited I probably won't sleep tonight" camp

The point is, Thunderbird doesn't DIRECTLY correlate with the Thanksgiving theme, If anything, the name would be Tempest, or The Storm, to accompany the tagline, "The" in all the coasters. I'm not saying your idea is wrong, or dumb, It's just not likely, and Paula waited a while yesterday to post the clue, and it was after the assumption of the name Thunderbird, which is why I believe it to be a red herring.

I know about the Thunderbird in Native American Traditions, but there's no proof of any tribe mentioning the fable to any Pilgrims. I like the name, but it just doesn't speak Thanksgiving like anything else does.

The point is, Thunderbird doesn't DIRECTLY correlate with the Thanksgiving theme, If anything, the name would be Tempest, or The Storm, to accompany the tagline, "The" in all the coasters. I'm not saying your idea is wrong, or dumb, It's just not likely, and Paula waited a while yesterday to post the clue, and it was after the assumption of the name Thunderbird, which is why I believe it to be a red herring.

Again, thats fine if you disagree, lol. Thats just my guess along with some others, doesn't have to be anyone elses. I"m not gonna argue my guess because its just that... a guess. Soon we will all know everything!

You can tell Paula is at her wit's end by how many times she's used that shippy pun the past 36 hours.

This ship is so worth it.

That's ok. I guess I'm just saying your reasoning is wrong or dumb.

I know about the Thunderbird in Native American Traditions, but there's no proof of any tribe mentioning the fable to any Pilgrims. I like the name, but it just doesn't speak Thanksgiving like anything else does.

There's also no evidence that turkeys were had at the first Thanksgiving, yet there are two rides that have a turkey theme. I guess we'll just see. I really don't care what the ride is called. I'm going to ride it.

Edited by OneOfTheWills

^ They're building something big. It'll be announced tomorrow night. The end.

Well snap, guess that is about all one really needs.

Awesome!!

Gives me even more reason to get my rump out there next year.

I just love this forum! The speculation on this forum is pretty great, sadly I haven't gotten to join in for quite a while Anyways, I'm definitely going to be streaming the announcement tomorrow. Honestly, There are so many different things that this ride can be that I am struggling so much to get a final guess, but while I'm typing this I'm going to try and make one. ummmm Im going to say there is a launch and that it launches into a 150-200ish sized hill, so possibly a launched hyper. I think it will hug the terrain throughout much of the ride after, with several inversions, possibly the most in the US, and then a splashdown at some point. Im going to say a wing coaster. Now to a name... I feel it could be The Tempest, The Storm, or Thunderbird. To me The Storm almost seems too short. I'm going to join the Thunderbird club I guess with HolidayWorldFTW and a few others. I'm am almost certain I'm wrong, so I guess we will find out tomorrow!

Ok, I'm going to make my final guess. I still think it will be a launched flyer, and I am going with the name Thunderbird. To me this guess is backed up with the most evidence but I would rather have a hyper, sit down launch, or even a Wing coaster over a flyer. I could always see a wingrider being a great fit for HW. But I am expecting something huge and unique that goes far beyond a good wingrider. Even though a launched flyer has the most evidence backing it I have a gut feeling that the coaster will be something totally unexpected and awesome. This has been a great 66 days.