TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I remember when I worked at Holiday World. Great experience. It really meant a lot to me to help make people's day and encourage guests to have the best time possible. I don't regret it at all. Working The Voyage was something I always wanted to do, and there was no feeling like it seeing everybody having the time of their lives. I can't imagine what it's like to be in the upper management. They have the greatest jobs imaginable.

From the instagram page....

It's obviously going to be a steel, the question is will it be a dive coaster or a hypercoaster with inversions? Because they said it would be the first of its kind

Dive coaster with inversions... done before.

Hyper with inversions... don't think so.

My idea of what this is going to be: the first RMC ground up hybrid launched wood coaster. To me this seems more reasonable for HW to get vs a steel coaster. If this still has designs from Paula's dads design back in 2009, a hybrid coaster with inversions would have been truly unique for its time. Adding a launch to it now would make it the "first of its kind". Plus, RMC has stated they have coaster plans for 2015(which I haven't heard about any yet), so this wouldn't surprise me much if this was an RMC. And it would also allow HW to have a longer coaster for the coast, and have something between wood and steel.

If this is a steel, I'm having a hard time thinking of "first of its kind" other than the launched wing rider/flyer from B&M but how much is that considered "first of its kind" other than manufacturer or other than it being a flyer? Personally it would seem odd for HW to go from all wood to steel. Granted parks to do it to gain different audiences and to enter different markets, but a B&M for a first steel installment? And I just don't see B&M building a roller coaster that is truly different and crazy from beginning to end, without the typical B&M pizzazz thrown in.

^ Yeah just listen to Walter Bolliger answer the question about hypers with inversions. Didn't even bother to give an answer.

Skip to 3:57

Ha! "I don't want to answer that question" + a coy smile = nondisclosure agreement. Probably right when talks of this project were getting going. Yup, my guess is locked in.

^ Yeah just listen to Walter Bolliger answer the question about hypers with inversions. Didn't even bother to give an answer.

Ha! "I don't want to answer that question" + a coy smile = nondisclosure agreement. Probably right when talks of this project were getting going. Yup, my guess is locked in.

Yeah because Dan Koch came to this agreement with B&M at IAAPA 2012, gets fired less than month later before any formal ride designs can be presented to the park and actual contracts are signed. New management, who is in a lawsuit at the time with Dan Koch over control over the park, has the exact same vision as he does (even though neither side is speaking to each other) and decide to move forward with the ride he wanted to build. Seems likely Or the talks between B&M and HW started early in 2013, after new management was in place and they get the design of the ride they want. Not saying your guess is wrong, but your reasoning for being very confident in that assumption is a bit off.

Why? Intimidator was 23 million.

Four years later, Intimidator would have costed a tad bit more with inflation.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

My idea of what this is going to be: the first RMC ground up hybrid launched wood coaster. To me this seems more reasonable for HW to get vs a steel coaster. If this still has designs from Paula's dads design back in 2009, a hybrid coaster with inversions would have been truly unique for its time. Adding a launch to it now would make it the "first of its kind". Plus, RMC has stated they have coaster plans for 2015(which I haven't heard about any yet), so this wouldn't surprise me much if this was an RMC. And it would also allow HW to have a longer coaster for the coast, and have something between wood and steel.

If this is a steel, I'm having a hard time thinking of "first of its kind" other than the launched wing rider/flyer from B&M but how much is that considered "first of its kind" other than manufacturer or other than it being a flyer? Personally it would seem odd for HW to go from all wood to steel. Granted parks to do it to gain different audiences and to enter different markets, but a B&M for a first steel installment? And I just don't see B&M building a roller coaster that is truly different and crazy from beginning to end, without the typical B&M pizzazz thrown in.

Those old plans were for a steel coaster. Remember thats why Leah was so excited about them becuase she was always bugging her dad for a steel coaster.

Yeah because Dan Koch came to this agreement with B&M at IAAPA 2012, gets fired less than month later before any formal ride designs can be presented to the park and actual contracts are signed. New management, who is in a lawsuit at the time with Dan Koch over control over the park, has the exact same vision as he does (even though neither side is speaking to each other) and decide to move forward with the ride he wanted to build. Seems likely Or the talks between B&M and HW started early in 2013, after new management was in place and they get the design of the ride they want. Not saying your guess is wrong, but your reasoning for being very confident in that assumption are a bit off.

I forgot the management did change during that time, but major coasters are often planned out years in advance, and it is possible whatever plans the park had for expansion were handed off from one management team to another, isn't it?

Why? Intimidator was 23 million.

Four years later, Intimidator would have costed a tad bit more with inflation.

Not that big a difference, 22 million is still reasonable for a hyper. Also, please, please, please stop saying "costed".

I forgot the management did change during that time, but major coasters are often planned out years in advance, and it is possible whatever plans the park had for expansion were handed off from one management team to another, isn't it?

It took 6 months for Goliath at SFGA to come together, design and all. Expansion plans can be handed over, but the ride and design is never final until the contracts have been signed. Even then, it is really never final until the ride is built. The Voyage's design was tweaked two or three times during the building process, which eventually saw a third 90 degree turn added to the ride. Heck, I believe Walter Bolliger designed the layout for Gatekeeper on a napkin in a restaurant, then presented it to somebody from Cedar Fair. That is how quickly these designs can come together.

Also, please, please, please stop saying "costed".

You mean typing? Anyways, if it makes you happy, I guess I will.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Day 65

Through the churning clouds a giant creature appears. As it draws closer, enormous wings snap against the wind creating a thundering sound. It is a sound we feel with our entire beings. As the creature roars over our Mayflower, we are swept up in its great power.

Alas, this hint seems to bash us over the head with disappointment while screaming "Wing rider, wing rider, wing rider!"

Haha! That was my question! When I heard that I was a bit disappointed but I also thought that there could be some project on the way. Knowing that it usually begins about three years before the ride is finished I still have some hope about what we're going to see for 2015 (but maybe it's not even for Holiday World)

Ya know, I won't have a problem if its a wing rider. It's something very different from what the park currently has, and if you throw in a launch in there, then that certainly will separate it from the other wing coasters. And in combination with inversions, i'm sure it will rock.