TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Wait wait wait.... Sorry for the triple post but I'm watching the construction cam... And that pit that you guys think is a footer on the left side behind the dirt pile,.... Yea I don't think thats a footer. That pit area is big enough for a guy to just hop down there and walk around.. And I seen what looked like a piece of drywall going down into the pit? Strange...... Anyone else watching and see this? Hmm there is no way that what is going on in that pit is just a footer being poured, it is big enough that about 4 or 5 guys were walking around in said pit. I'm gonna call this a tunnel instead of a footer being poured.

^ They've poured a pit and then built a box like structure for one footer on one side and then it looks like they will do the same on the other side starting on Monday. After they're done with that, they'll fill the rest of the pit up with concrete. Just my observation, but it appears there will be some high forces in this area.

Can someone post a screenshot of the construction, i would like to see what you guys are talking about. Im working 16 hour shifts today through the weekend. Its still dark when i get up and also by the time i get home and my phone wont load the cam.

I'm starting to wonder if its possible the footers are for other rides not just a new coaster. The building looks like its going to be either a bathroom, food stand, game booth or a drink station. They did say that this was going to be an expansion so I'm sure there'll be other new rides.

After looking at the webcam, I at first thought "Really? Those are the footings they think are huge?" and then I realized we're talking about a roller coaster and not a major interstate bridge that I'm accustomed to So yes, those are quite large in context.

Let's estimate the footing dimensions as a 10' x 10' square and 4' deep (that's based on the rebar cage for a footing that's currently sitting on the ground in the middle of the picture). Running the numbers and assuming some basic soil properties, each of those footings will have an allowable bearing capacity (assuming all loads are from a vertical column) of roughly 600 kips or 600,000 lbs. That's quite a lot. For perspective, a typical bridge carrying 4 lanes of traffic in Louisville (where soil conditions are typically poor for construction) will have a pier with 3 columns. Each of those columns will have a footing that is 15' x 15' and 6' deep (typically). We're talking about something fairly similar here for a roller coaster. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where these massive loads will be coming from.

^^B&M trains weigh around 7-10 tons (based on Nemesis and Air, I'm not sure about B&M sitdowns!). If that footer is on a particularly high force area, it could pull around 4G, maybe more, at it will be a spike of force.

I'm not a civil engineer, so I could just be talking out my butt but that's my line of deduction for such massive footers!

^^B&M trains weigh around 7-10 tons (based on Nemesis and Air, I'm not sure about B&M sitdowns!). If that footer is on a particularly high force area, it could pull around 4G, maybe more, at it will be a spike of force.

I'm not a civil engineer, so I could just be talking out my butt but that's my line of deduction for such massive footers!

I don't know if that would be enough. I know their wing coaster trains are quite heavy and gatekeeper pulls 4 Gs on the bottom of the drop while having relatively normal footers, right?

Based on that, we have 10tons x 2000lbs/ton = 20,000 lbs = 9072kgs and now converting 4G's of force to lbs... 4 x 9072kgs x (9.18m/s^2) = 333124 Newtons = 75,000 lbF + 20,000lbs = 95,000 lbs plus the dead weight of the steel track and supports, which can be significant but I don't think it could make up for the 500,000 lbs. Although, keep in mind there is a "factor of safety" applied when determining foundation sizes. While I've been calculating the "ultimate" bearing capacity at 600,000 lbs, the "design" capacity is probably somewhere around 300,000 lbs. Then again, I made conservative estimates on the dimensions so who knows

Well if you read Leah's new holiblog post then you'll know that this thing is going to be one of a kind, so ANYTHING is possible. She also mentioned that if Will were still here it would be his dream ride. This keeps getting more and more interesting every day. It's hard to contain the excitement