TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Wow! I did not expect this to be completely live - way better that Goliath's or Banshee's construction cam!

^^I think that is a good conclusion to draw from the footers - it's has very Verbolten like start if that is correct.

*EDIT* Just realized you can "control" the splashcam to rotate to your attraction of choice! All you have to do is wait in the virtual line (about a minute or two), and then the cam rotates to you selected attraction some of the choices are Voyage, Jungle Racer, Wildebeest/Mammoth, and more.

Edited by glouthan

I hope to see something that is back to the basics, but really good like Lightning Run or Banshee. I don't need any multi launched, drop tracks, or dark ride sections to please me. I think this will be the best bet for Holiday World.

For some people, if it's not Intimidator 305, it can't be a 5-star coaster. Even though there IS much more to a coaster than intensity.

Intimidator 305? Maybe 2 stars... Mind Bender? Now that's a 5 star coaster.

I have a feeling that whatever the new attraction is, it will appeal to a very wide audience. The park would do gangbusters with a strong family coaster.

Wow.. the quality of their webcams is amazing... I remember the days when you seen a "refreshed" image every min or so, but these things are as live as the news.... and being able to take control of the splash cam? Thats pretty spiffy!

As for the construction site.... all I can say is wow. I don't remember them having this much activity this early when they build the voyage. Also, that constrution site is HUGE!

Wow! That's one of the coolest interactive live web streams I've ever seen, especially for looking around an amusement park! I wonder what that camera looks like irl when it swivels around so much from people on the internet using it!

Just a few things that crossed my mind that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet.

First, there have been people saying that Holiday World wouldn't build an invert since King's Island just built Banshee. There's no knowing for sure, but a lot of times these projects can be in the works for years. When was it announced that Banshee was going in at KI? Isn't it likely that whatever this coaster is was planned before Banshee was announced. Would HW scrap plans on an invert once Banshee was announced? I wouldn't necessarily think so, but I don't know.

Second, B&M just built their first family invert over in China. A much longer, more thrilling, but non-inverting family style invert would be a great coaster for a park like HW.

I can't wait to see what they are building and I look forward to riding it next year.

I want to bring up a past clue for a moment. Remember the shredded map, anyone? Remember how it had what looked to be like a helix or super tight bend causing the track to cross over itself? If that was an actual section of the footer map for this coaster, doesn't the lack of a giant footer at the center of that helix/tight bend rule out any type of inverted track coaster?

Maybe I'm just being dumb. Please correct if I'm wrong.

^^ KI announced Banshee last year and from what I've learned about this industry, plans can change at a moments notice. Based on the sheer size of this project, I think it's a lot bigger than some family coaster, but that is just my opinion.

This hasn't been mentioned, but at some point this ride is going to have to make it's way up the hill. Just to give you an idea of the elevation difference in the land, from the mid-course break run to the bottom of the Voyage's station, there is a 100 foot elevation difference. Based on the clearings they've made by the Voyage, this ride is more than likely traveling up that hill at some point and will need a quite a bit of speed to do so. It won't need quite as much as the Voyage does (which is why it's so tall), but it will still need quite a bit of steam.

I have a feeling that whatever the new attraction is, it will appeal to a very wide audience. The park would do gangbusters with a strong family coaster.

This. That is exactly what I was trying to say earlier. Just trying to look at who the park's audience is, thinking of what would be best received by the ones who go to this park, at the competition (KK), and what would be most popular at the park is a no brainer... a steel roller coaster the whole family can enjoy.

... not trying to completely bust the "*insert park name here* is going to build the best coaster ever!" conversations that happen with every coaster construction before the announcements every single summer

^^ KI announced Banshee last year and from what I've learned about this industry, plans can change at a moments notice. Based on the sheer size of this project, I think it's a lot bigger than some family coaster, but that is just my opinion.

I'll bring up one instance of this ,and a quite large one at that, back in 2006 when SFoG received Goliath. Goliath was originally planned for SFSTL (it would have been a tad taller and a tad longer). Anyway, last minute, corporate decided to change the plans and give the ride to SFoG instead. Goliath for SFoG was surveyed and designed in a last minute decision. Thats a pretty large project to do last minute.

I'll bring up one instance of this ,and a quite large one at that, back in 2006 when SFoG received Goliath. Goliath was originally planned for SFSTL (it would have been a tad taller and a tad longer). Anyway, last minute, corporate decided to change the plans and give the ride to SFoG instead. Goliath for SFoG was surveyed and designed in a last minute decision. Thats a pretty large project to do last minute.

Just from some speculation from reading the 66daysatsea website, could this possibly be a wood coaster? This is HW and HW has wood coasters.. I realize some of the footers appear to be B&M but what if those are for some crazy elements never seen on a wood coaster. RMC is going crazy right now and I think it was Fred that didnt discount the idea that RMC could build a launched wood coaster I say this because of all the mention of "wood" on that 66days site, and all the pictures of wood planks as well.. and of the 53rd day pictures as well. One of those pictures really looks like a wood coaster. That would fit in with their budget(even though we arent sure what that is), and put HW on the map of places to definitely visit. Look at what happened to SDC for instance.

Than again we can not discount the idea of a steel coaster coming to HW, a nice B&M would do the same thing as a what an RMC woodie would do. I would speculate to say now that its closing in on the final week till announcement more "obvious hints" could appear. Or stray us farther from the obvious.

One of those pictures really looks like a wood coaster. That would fit in with their budget(even though we arent sure what that is), and put HW on the map of places to definitely visit.

I agree. I won't visit HW until they build at least one world class coaster to put them on the map. /s

Just from some speculation from reading the 66daysatsea website, could this possibly be a wood coaster? This is HW and HW has wood coasters.. I realize some of the footers appear to be B&M but what if those are for some crazy elements never seen on a wood coaster. RMC is going crazy right now and I think it was Fred that didnt discount the idea that RMC could build a launched wood coaster I say this because of all the mention of "wood" on that 66days site, and all the pictures of wood planks as well.. and of the 53rd day pictures as well. One of those pictures really looks like a wood coaster. That would fit in with their budget(even though we arent sure what that is), and put HW on the map of places to definitely visit. Look at what happened to SDC for instance.

Than again we can not discount the idea of a steel coaster coming to HW, a nice B&M would do the same thing as a what an RMC woodie would do. I would speculate to say now that its closing in on the final week till announcement more "obvious hints" could appear. Or stray us farther from the obvious.

Orrrr they're building two coasters. One wood AND one steel

This. That is exactly what I was trying to say earlier. Just trying to look at who the park's audience is, thinking of what would be best received by the ones who go to this park, at the competition (KK), and what would be most popular at the park is a no brainer... a steel roller coaster the whole family can enjoy.

What makes you think Holiday World would shy away from building an intense, exciting steel coaster when they didn't do that with any of their wooden coasters?

^I don't think they'd be shy to do that, but right now there is a need at the park for a middle of the road (at least intensity wise) roller coaster. Watch me be wrong

Thanks to RCT (Roller Coaster Tycoon), I finally realized there is a big difference between a ride's intensity it's level of excitement. Go ahead and make fun of me... RCT made clear to me something that is now so obvious.

Take for example something as awesome and breathtaking as Millennium Force. It's very exciting, but the intensity is very moderate.

^^Personally I don't think a coaster needs to be intense to be GOOD, but does need a bare minimum of intensity to be GREAT. I'm not saying I'm expecting a ride with Voyage-level intensity but I do think HW is interested in building great coasters, and that means airtime hills that actually deliver and inversions you don't float through like a hot air balloon (things modern B&M has been hit-or-miss with, but like others have said they will build to their client's specifications). You don't invest this much in a ride and not shoot for the very best, there's no reason not to hope for a top-tier ride out of this.

Edited by neil009

Well my guess on this would be for them to do something like Dollywood did. Build a bigger coaster that's not as intense as some the other coasters out there, but it still satisfies those who are wanting a high thrills ride. Dollywood did this in 2012 with Wild Eagle. Then in a couple of years, they can build a "middle of the road" type of roller coaster. Dollywood did that this year with FireChaser Express.

You don't just put together a campaign like the one HW has put together with the website and other stuff, then turn around and announce a smaller family coaster. That is just my opinion.

The footers that the webcam is looking at, are certainly in a line. The ones in the background are slightly more elevated, slight drop into the launch maybe? What's also strange is the footers to the left, they seem to curve right into what may well be the launch.

Didn't Kentucky Kingdom afford a large B&M? Didn't Hard Rock Park? They did fine for years, they were independent parks. Holiday World will do fine. They wouldn't buy it if they didn't have the resources.

But they were then owned by Six Flags.

Do you see anything WRONG with that statement..... just think about it for a second

Didn't Kentucky Kingdom afford a large B&M? Didn't Hard Rock Park? They did fine for years, they were independent parks. Holiday World will do fine. They wouldn't buy it if they didn't have the resources.

But they were then owned by Six Flags.

Eh Hart put Chang in, he added all the good rides when he had it. Six Flags only added Raging Rapids, RRX and Greezed Lighting.

Back to HW, they will add whatever they want, "Build it and they will come".