TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I hope you are feeling better.

I am doing better, thanks for asking. Not 100% yet but I'll get there. The bad part is this means no HW for me this season =( will be the first season in years. However my doc does say by next spring there should be no problems doing HW... SO I should be good to check out this new expansion. Although I really wish I could try the mayflower this year. I know several people who have tried it and said its actually a way more fun, and better ride, than your normal festival pirate ship ride.

I do agree the blue prints really don't fit into my theory, unless it really was just scrap paper Paula used to throw us off (which I could see her doing). I do agree the water park really doesn't need more...and the two water coasters are AMAZING. However Raging Rapids isn't a water park ride, as it's in Holiday World, the dry park. And PP/Giraffica was kind of both, which a rapids ride could be too.. Which fits in because it seems like they really wanted to make that 2nd entrance to Splashin Safari work. However I agree its way more likely its a coaster, and that's what I hope it is to. Was just curious if from what we know so far a rapids style ride would fit into the clues we have so far as well as it seems to me?

Edited by HolidayWorldFTW

Very interesting theory. I will say I doubt that it is a rapids ride, but IF it was, and they did demolish the Raging Rapids ride, it would open up quite a bit of space in the 4th of July section. Then they could build a coaster there. If this happened, a major launch coaster would fit wonderful, themed to fireworks and things. Rockets Red Glare?

Yes, this is kind of where I was going with it. We all know there currently really isn't much room in the original holidays to really expand much there. This would be a vehicle for them do to so. Not sure a major launch coaster is something they would do, but it's a nice thought, and a good large area to add something nice. Again just kind of a "off from left field" theory I wanted to throw out there. Personally I'd love to see a bigger better version of a rapids ride there. I love Raging Rapids now, but when they launched it long ago they really made it out to be a big deal... And to me it never quite lived up to the hype they gave it. I love rapids rides in general and I've been on some that are way more exciting. Plus it's rare I ever really do get wet on the thing,but that could just be my luck too. It's also Very very rare that I ever see a line for it and I am almost always offered a reride. Might be a ride prime for HW to take a new look at.

I rarely post on these things but thought I would throw this out there.... A few clues back there was mention of a mastiff with a picture of a dog. For some reason I'm hung up on that clue. A passenger on the Mayflower named Peter Brown had a mastiff on board with him. I can't find anything about what became of the dog, but Brown survived the journey and become a fairly important fellow in Plymouth. The fun part of his story though is that Brown and another man became seriously lost in the woods for a few days while cutting thatch for roofs. One night while lost, they thought they heard lions and climbed a tree to spend the night. Eventually they made found their way back to the colony.

Did I read somewhere that the July 24 date is supposed to hold some significance as to the theme of the ride of something? Or is that something else I've imagined?

Very interesting theory. I will say I doubt that it is a rapids ride, but IF it was, and they did demolish the Raging Rapids ride, it would open up quite a bit of space in the 4th of July section. Then they could build a coaster there. If this happened, a major launch coaster would fit wonderful, themed to fireworks and things. Rockets Red Glare?

Yes, this is kind of where I was going with it. We all know there currently really isn't much room in the original holidays to really expand much there. This would be a vehicle for them do to so. Not sure a major launch coaster is something they would do, but it's a nice thought, and a good large area to add something nice. Again just kind of a "off from left field" theory I wanted to throw out there. Personally I'd love to see a bigger better version of a rapids ride there. I love Raging Rapids now, but when they launched it long ago they really made it out to be a big deal... And to me it never quite lived up to the hype they gave it. I love rapids rides in general and I've been on some that are way more exciting. Plus it's rare I ever really do get wet on the thing,but that could just be my luck too. It's also Very very rare that I ever see a line for it and I am almost always offered a reride. Might be a ride prime for HW to take a new look at.

I will say that I too love this ride, but I've noticed the age it's started to show. I would like to point out that The Raging Rapids and Frightful Falls are both starting to show age. They both take up a lot of space as well. This has nothing to do with 2015, but a multi-year project. Removing these two rides opens up a lot of space for new rides in their sections. This leaves room for new rides and coasters to thrill for many years. But if they removed them you would want a replacement, right? That's why you build a new log flume ride and a new rapids ride. Them them to ships if they are in thanksgiving. They could design their layouts to allow ride space for other things. You could have a log flume themed and have a dark section with a drop, and you could theme the rapids to a boat ride through Indians and pilgrims fighting, ending in the feast? Idk if that's good theming or not. I do know I too am a Holiday World fanatic, heck, I've even designed roller coasters for their parks, so don't feel afraid to admit it.

HWLover - yea I too could see frightful falls as being part of that project. It would free up tons of space in Halloween and 4th of July for new rides. I don't see HW just abandoning those older holidays just because they have ran out of space. And since Thanksgiving, all the other holidays seem really small in size. I'm not sure thats something they would want to remain. In the future thanksgiving will be the center of the entire park. That means either new Holidays (I don't see them adding many more) or changes in holiday boundaries. I just wonder if at some point they may move one of those older holidays COMPLETELY to the backside of the park and then maybe expand a holiday in the original part of the park? Hmm I also remember Will in an interview at one point mentioning that they have looked into ways to transport people around the park,especially the back where thanksgiving is. That is quite a hike and it's all downhill. This might be something I could see as part of the 2015 expansion as well. Man I could talk about HW of the future for hours, lol. Glad I'm not the only one.

HWLover - yea I too could see frightful falls as being part of that project. It would free up tons of space in Halloween and 4th of July for new rides. I don't see HW just abandoning those older holidays just because they have ran out of space. And since Thanksgiving, all the other holidays seem really small in size. I'm not sure thats something they would want to remain. In the future thanksgiving will be the center of the entire park. That means either new Holidays (I don't see them adding many more) or changes in holiday boundaries. I just wonder if at some point they may move one of those older holidays COMPLETELY to the backside of the park and then maybe expand a holiday in the original part of the park? Hmm I also remember Will in an interview at one point mentioning that they have looked into ways to transport people around the park,especially the back where thanksgiving is. That is quite a hike and it's all downhill. This might be something I could see as part of the 2015 expansion as well. Man I could talk about HW of the future for hours, lol. Glad I'm not the only one.

I too have thought this. I could see them adding a new Christmas section or Christmas Eve section back there. It could also open the possibility of a secong gate on highway 162. They own tons of land back there behind Splashin Safari and Thanksgiving, and the problem they have is of course those painful hills, and how the three sections are deadlocked. Removing Frightful Falls and Raging Rapids would be a great way to fix it. I mean I love these two rides, but they really show their age. Removing those and adding a second Christmas really adds a future to all the sections, not just Thanksgiving. Im sure they have a plan though, they always do.

There are a few Holidays they could add.

-Valentine's

-St. Patrick's

-Easter

St. Patrick's day they could do, since there's something they could pull out of Celtic mythology. Valentine's would have to be a kiddy land, or something really, really inappropriate. Easter could be the Jack Rabbit

Am I the only one who has been picturing a new New Year's Day section? I've had this idea for years. A giant ferris wheel themed like a clock. A drop ride themed like the Times Square Ball. A dark ride about time travel maybe? A few flat rides and restaurants themed around different countries around the world and how they celebrate New Year's Day?

^^ Yes they could add these, but how many things can you theme to love? Not much.

So on another note, I designed a Holiday World for my town, and I used several holidays in it. I designed like 40+ coasters for it; sadly, I gave several of them to an art museum and never got them returned:(

^ That is actually a wonderful idea. I really like the drop ride idea.

I've actually thought they should add a Black Friday emporium in Thanksgiving for some time now. Kings Island has a shop across from The Racer that has mostly clearance and inexpensive souvenirs in it, maybe they could do something like that?

Other holidays I would like to see include New Years, Valentines, Easter, and St. Patty's. Out of those, St. Patty's would probably be the easiest. Make a section that looks like BGW's Killarney area and put in an RMC themed to running to the end of the rainbow to get the pot of gold with a ruined castle-themed station and they would have a real knockout attraction. Maybe a small Easter Bunny-themed GG Timberliner woodie like Roar-O-Saurus could go in an Easter section? Plenty of possibilities for all of these, really.

I think it's important to note that the park has to walk a fine line in how they theme each section of their park and how they would do so with new sections moving forward. Most holidays we celebrate are connected to something religious or something ethical. They have to walk a fine line in how they theme rides in each section. In today's society, you don't want to offend anybody or any group of people for that matter. I think they also have to walk a fine line in theming such sections that could be thought of as a little cheesy. I think a Easter section would be better suited for kids. A Valentines Day section could work if they put in the right rides. You could really cater that section more toward couples, but in more of a family-friendly way (Of Course!). I think the St. Patrick's Day section would be the perfect section for major expansion, as in roller coasters, and major thrill rides. It would only work though if they explore upon the history of the Holiday, much like they have with Thanksgiving and the Pilgrims when it comes to ride naming and theming.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I think it's important to note that the park has to walk a fine line in how they theme each section of their park and how they would do so with new sections moving forward. Most holidays we celebrate are connected to something religious or something ethical. They have to walk a fine line in how they theme rides in each section. In today's society, you don't want to offend anybody or any group of people for that matter. I think they also have to walk a fine line in theming such sections that could be thought of as a little cheesy. I think a Easter section would be better suited for kids. A Valentines Day section could work if they put in the right rides. You could really cater that section more toward couples, but in more if a family-friendly way (Of Course!). I think the St. Patrick's Day section would be the perfect section for major expansion, as in roller coasters, and major thrill rides. It would only work though if they explore upon the history of the Holiday, much like they have with Thanksgiving and the Pilgrims when it comes to ride naming and theming.

You've seen the manger scene at Holiday World, right? Case closed.

^ Oh I'm very aware of it, but that is not the point. They put that out to decorate and celebrate their Christmas section. It's something that is common at a lot of households in the United States during Christmas, but remember, it's just a decoration. I'm talking from a ride naming standpoint. Something you market to the public. Most of the rides in the Christmas section are based off Santa Claus, Reindeer, and ext. An Easter section would have to be focused around Easter bunnies, eggs, jelly beans, and ext. Which is why it would be better suited as a kids section. I was just merely pointing out that the park is limited in holidays they can use in which the park can have another major expansion on without having to use cheesy/childish sounding names (which there is nothing wrong with them when they're named on the proper rides), because that's all they can really choose from.

I've actually thought they should add a Black Friday emporium in Thanksgiving for some time now. Kings Island has a shop across from The Racer that has mostly clearance and inexpensive souvenirs in it, maybe they could do something like that?

This is a fantastic idea. I have been to that store at Kings Island many times and it is by far my favorite shop in the park. Everything is $10 or less and I've gotten some absolute steals there. Totally a win-win idea for the park. They make $$$ and clearance out old stock and families on a budget get some great souvenirs. Paula, are you reading this one?

I think a Valentines Day section could be done well. You could put a spin on it instead of being themed around cheesy love.

"Cupid's Revenge" - Our new 200 Ft. Steel Launched Coaster, in bright red.

(year right, lol)

I think it's important to note that the park has to walk a fine line in how they theme each section of their park and how they would do so with new sections moving forward. Most holidays we celebrate are connected to something religious or something ethical. They have to walk a fine line in how they theme rides in each section. In today's society, you don't want to offend anybody or any group of people for that matter.

You've seen the manger scene at Holiday World, right? Case closed.

In addition to this, one of the park's 3 major shows is a Gospel show that they seem very proud of. Plus, Holiday World hosts a large Christian concert every year that they advertise heavily. Perhaps their "line" isn't as fine as one may think?