TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

All of the clues thus far have been extremely open to interpretation in my opinion. I'm sure more substantive hints will be dropped as we get closer to day 66 but you could massage the clues to support just about any ride type at this point.

Exactly right. I want to know what the ride is just as much as the next person but I know letting my wants and desires guide will have a higher probability of leading me to being let down. It's still early. Instead of trying to figure out the ride 44 days before it is announced and then another off season before I can even ride it, I've turned my attention to what the ride won't be based on a lack of clues but mainly based on park history. Give me another 22 days to shift my focus back to what I think the ride will be.

Holiday World cares about building good rides, do they not? The purpose of the Voyage was to be the best wooden coaster ever built. They even took input from coaster enthusiasts. This is their first major coaster project since then. It makes sense that they would want to build another top-tier ride. A Mack water coaster would not be a top-tier ride. I understand the desire to be realistic and try not to get expectations unreasonably high, but the truth is the clues are extremely vague and anything is still possible. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that whatever the ride is, it will be top-ten worthy. We know from rides like Lightning Run, Helix, and most likely Thunderbolt, that parks are catching on to what really makes for a great ride: a certain level of intensity and a good mix of forces including air time. We know Holiday World has already figured this out. So in my mind, that crosses off water coasters, Verbolten-style family coasters, and almost anything from B&M (unless they're really ready to start making top-tier rides again, which I'm skeptical of).

Holiday World cares about building good rides, do they not? The purpose of the Voyage was to be the best wooden coaster ever built. They even took input from coaster enthusiasts. This is their first major coaster project since then. It makes sense that they would want to build another top-tier ride. A Mack water coaster would not be a top-tier ride. I understand the desire to be realistic and try not to get expectations unreasonably high, but the truth is the clues are extremely vague and anything is still possible. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that whatever the ride is, it will be top-ten worthy. We know from rides like Lightning Run, Helix, and most likely Thunderbolt, that parks are catching on to what really makes for a great ride: a certain level of intensity and a good mix of forces including air time. We know Holiday World has already figured this out. So in my mind, that crosses off water coasters, Verbolten-style family coasters, and almost anything from B&M (unless they're really ready to start making top-tier rides again, which I'm skeptical of).

I really do hope you're right. I'm still sticking with my prediction just for the fun of it.

I try to avoid being let down. Another lesson learned from having SfStl as my home park!

I also wanted to add that, consider for a moment the level of hype they're driving up, how hard they worked to reach out to the enthusiast community, and how strongly they're associating this ride with the Voyage. All of our minds went immediately to the possibilities of another action-packed romp through the woods. HW knows this and I think delivering anything less would be a mistake. Just my own thoughts on the matter.

So in my mind, that crosses off almost anything from B&M (unless they're really ready to start making top-tier rides again, which I'm skeptical of).

Banshee?

If it was a B&M, can they market "from the designers of Chang at KK and Banshee at KI? Or no?

So in my mind, that crosses off almost anything from B&M (unless they're really ready to start making top-tier rides again, which I'm skeptical of).

Banshee?

One coaster doesn't indicate a trend. Look I don't really have anything against B&M, but we're talking track record here. If you want to build the greatest wooden coaster in the world, you don't go to GCI, if you want to build the greatest steel coaster in the world, you don't go to B&M. You want a company that's ready to make a statement.

^ Interesting you say that. Look what the park tweeted out today!

It's Day 22 of #66DaysAtSea. With 1/3 of the clues revealed, do you have a theory? http://66DaysAtSea.com

From the way this is worded, it seems we've been taking what the journal has said up to this point a little too seriously.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the clue was revealed today or in the previous entries over the past 21 days. Who Knows? That's the beauty of this whole thing!

Yeah 1/3 is definitely referring to the fraction in this case.

I also want to point out that if you re-arrange some of the pieces of planks you can vaguely see the outline of what looks like a wing. This made me think that maybe those "arms" we saw at the bottom of the picture may actually be the legs of a bird. I couldn't really make out a bird shape though with the different planks.

How about all the different clubs who received the shredded paper? Any updates on that?

Paula, do you want to send some paper my way?

I think the images of the dog, the boat, the barrel and the seagull are codes, and the pictures of the clouds are keys. I found out that some images have the same size. I tried to superimpose them but without any success.

Just throwing this out there as a possible interpretation of some of the journal entries. I noticed that at least some of the entries highlight or reference things that could be associated with existing attractions or lands.

For example - Day 4 - "stare first at sky, then at sea" - sounds like what you experience on The Mayflower swinging ship

Day 8 - "beakhead and chains" - sounds like Eagle's Flight to me

Day 9 - remembering the Speedwell which was delayed by taking on water twice - perhaps a reference to the problems with Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica

Day 17 - reference to freedom, the struggle and sacrifice, and joy - I think that sounds patriotic like the 4th of July land

Day 21 - looking closely at the picture of the ship, the lower couple of boards show a ghostly arm and figure, while the top board just under the deck seems to show a ghostly face - perhaps depicting a headless guy and maybe being a reference to The Legend.

There are also references to October and late autumn on Day 7 and 12, which could reference Halloween

Day 16 - "something so tiny could be so loud" - could reference the Howler

So, I could be completely wrong, but I'm wondering if a lot of the entries have less to do with the actual attraction for next year, and more to do with a "voyage" through the park's lands/attractions to the final destination where/when the new attraction will be revealed. Does that make any sense? Are there any other entries that could reference current attractions in some way?

PS, I think one of those clouds looks suspiciously like Holidog.

^The assumption based on the '66daysatsea' press release is *greater than $13.5 million* which was the total expenditure for 2006 when Thanksgiving and Voyage were added. To my knowledge, no specific amount has surfaced.

The pertinent bit from the release:

“I cannot confirm nor deny that this project includes a roller coaster,” says Eckert. “But I can confirm that this is by far the largest expansion project in our seven-decade history.”

^The assumption based on the '66daysatsea' press release is *greater than $13.5 million* which was the total expenditure for 2006 when Thanksgiving and Voyage were added. To my knowledge, no specific amount has surfaced.

The pertinent bit from the release:

“I cannot confirm nor deny that this project includes a roller coaster,” says Eckert. “But I can confirm that this is by far the largest expansion project in our seven-decade history.”

"Largest" expansion may not mean it's the most expensive expansion.

"Largest" expansion may not mean it's the most expensive expansion.

Hence, "assumption." But I think most would agree it's a fairly sound assumption given the wording, "by far the largest expansion project in our seven-decade history.”

The amount of references to waves, the ocean, and "staying upright" make me think there is some sort of Flow Rider addition coming as part of this announcement. Is it the major piece? Of course not. Would it fit into Splashin' Safari? I think so - it's really one of the only things they're missing. (And in true Holiday World style, this would be the end all, be all of Flow Riders, with four stations radiating out from a center point )

Only 40 some days left...

“As we continue to expand our Thanksgiving section, we look for ways to tie into that theme,” says Matt Eckert, president of Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari. “Knowing the Mayflower was at sea for 66 days gave us the idea to count down the days until we announce our expansion for 2015.”

Although this was part of the announcement, I still wonder if the new expansion is going to be a different theme. Especially since we're traveling to "the new world." What major holidays are we missing?