TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think we'll in a sense be getting a Verbolten with faster launches and inversions. I also doubt a drop track. I also expect high theming with this. And also I suspect that this expansion isn't just a coaster, but also a big ole expansion with other rides and attractions too.

It'll be interesting to see how they do a whole Thanksgiving area expansion without cutting off Hyena Falls and the bumper boats from the rest of the waterpark. I always that was an odd placement for Hyena Falls.

How in the world could Helix cost $36 million? Barring some extreme conversion rate in the currency, I can't see it costing $11M more than Gatekeeper, which is about the same length, but has a much higher structure (more cost for all the support beams), wider track (more steel), more expensive trains, and is by a company (B&M) not known for being a bargain manufacturer (vs. Mack). the launch technology can't be the difference in cost. I would think this has to be either an artifact of the currency conversion or the labor or import/transport costs for steel are astronomical in Sweden.

1. Mack is an expensive manufacturer of very high quality. They have a reputation of being a cheap manufacturer because they have mostly built smaller rides, but something like Blue Fire will set you back around €15 million / $20 million.

2. The terrain where Helix is built is some of the most challenging to build at in the world, with lot's of hard rock that needed to be blasted.

3. In general rides are more expensive to build here in Europe, especially in Scandinavia, due to higher taxes and wages.

I saw the $36MM figure on wikipedia and elsewhere but a quick trip to Liseberg's Helix site shows the investment was 200,000,000 Swedish Krona which translates to ~$30.18MM USD. I agree, even this figure seems high given the ride's specs - it would seem Mack might not be a budget-friendly manufacturer after all.

The price was raised to 240 million SEK, due to difficulties with the foundations. And no, as you guss Mack isn't really a budget friendly manufacturer. None of the German manufacturers really are, it just depends on what size of a project you are asking for.

^I actually had no idea helix was so expensive. The only other recently built ride in Europe with a similar price was shambhala ($34 million) which is a bit longer and quite a bit taller.

So the newest clue with the photo of the ship seems to have the same effect that the photo of the dog did. There is something hidden in them. I just cant tell what it is...thoughts?

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet but there is clearly something hidden in this picture from day 11. Dead center, it looks to me like a seated figure holding onto something. Possibly a B&M lap pillow?

The one thing I love about the 66 Days At Sea teaser is that I now have a better sense as to how it truly felt to wait so long to reach a place. You can almost imagine how euphoric they'd be once they spot land 45 days from now!

Also, I feel as if Day 19 would be relevant right about now. (I see a horse in the second pic )

Something felt off to me about the picture of the Mayflower hull. I took it into Photoshop and played around with it. Flipping the image over on its side revealed something interesting.... There seems to be the image of someones face and arm hidden in the hull. I can't quite make out what they're doing, but there is definitely something there.

If anything, this means we CAN be looking for secrets in the images. They are there. Not sure how helpful they are at this point, but they're there.

bowimage.jpg.35649e92e03d9a75edd3f6e6207d8f16.jpg

Something felt off to me about the picture of the Mayflower hull. I took it into Photoshop and played around with it. Flipping the image over on its side revealed something interesting.... There seems to be the image of someones face and arm hidden in the hull. I can't quite make out what they're doing, but there is definitely something there.

If anything, this means we CAN be looking for secrets in the images. They are there. Not sure how helpful they are at this point, but they're there.

The dark block also looks like a tunnel entrance to me.

Anyone think today's hint is pointing towards trick track? Or (imagination got the best of me) the ride may feature trains like SDMT that sway back and forth to mimic the journey to the New World?

That picture from yesterday is just extremely suspicious. I have been splitting the planks into pieces and trying to rearrange but I can't quite find anything. I have even tried moving some of those pieces into the face of the dog and vice-versa. I'm not sure if anyone else sees this, but to me there is a very distinct "block" in the middle of the dogs face and at the very top plank of the hull. It looks edited. It's killing me.

Anyone think today's hint is pointing towards trick track? Or (imagination got the best of me) the ride may feature trains like SDMT that sway back and forth to mimic the journey to the New World? Or is it just simply a way of saying we go upside down?

That picture from yesterday is just extremely suspicious. I have been splitting the planks into pieces and trying to rearrange but I can't quite find anything. I have even tried moving some of those pieces into the face of the dog and vice-versa. I'm not sure if anyone else sees this, but to me there is a very distinct "block" in the middle of the dogs face and at the very top plank of the hull. It looks edited. It's killing me.

There are obvious images imbedded into the ship. I see two faces obvious faces near the top portion of the plow and several more throughout the ship. I don't think these mean anything. The ship's photo has probably just been overlapped with another photo. I don't see any amusement park clues... just what looks to be an old collage. Basically, what you're looking at is most likely just a mind ****.

When I say I think it's going to be a water coaster, I'm not talking about the two that already exist in the park. I'm talking about something similar to a Mack water coaster. Maybe even something with a barrel roll, as mentioned in the clues.

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/water-rides/water-coaster/wr-wc-picture-gallery/index.html

(^sorry, I remember seeing a TPR video of a Mack water coaster, but I couldn't find it)

The references to water, so far:

"The beauty of the ocean is indescribable."

"My worries drift away with the gentle rocking of the ship"

"October seas are rougher..."

"Speed well twice took on water"

"The waves have taken on a darker look."

"...the bow of our ship resembles a plow, cutting through the ocean waves..."

"The spray of the deck seems colder now at the start of our journey"

^^ Well to be fair, it's kinda of hard to document the trip of the pilgrims in a journal over 66 days without mentioning water a whole lot. From what I've learned about the their voyage, there wasn't a whole lot to do on the trip. In fact, it was a rather harsh trip. The pilgrims staring at the sky and water is probably historically accurate to some point. I can imagine some type of splashdown effect, or the effects that Mack has put on their coasters at Sea World. I can't imagine it being another water coaster, like the ones they already have, especially with it being put in the Thanksgiving section of the dry park.

I've seen mention to several smaller types of roller coasters being built in on here. While those would probably fit what HW needs, part of me wants to believe that HW isn't just going build some typical steel coaster with an inversion or two. They have a history of going over the top on big projects, and building stuff that brings them great publicity to the park.

You make a good argument, but remember, they CHOSE to set the story around water. It's not like the journey at sea is the only Thanksgiving addition reveal they could come up with.

Or maybe it's just a picture of a dog?

There's definitely another faint image imbedded into the picture. It's too distorted and parts of the dog differ from other parts. I will agree that the imbedded images don't seem relative to anything.

I think there is some sort of clue to every image, including the cloud. I just think these clues are too obscure and maybe even purposely misleading.

On another note, Day 8: the ship gets a new assistant every Monday, the "Liar". Maybe we shouldn't put any stock in Monday's clues?

^^Pareidolia, folks. Don't let your brain have too much unchecked fun.

I've come to appreciate viral marketing like this purely because it's hilarious to watch people freaking out over secret images hidden in clouds. I'd love to see some of the answers a Rorschach test would get.

The more and more I think of it, the more it makes sense. They took the tower down for PP/Giraffica but they left the concrete trough in place. it would be cheaper to build a Mack water coaster since you have the main splashdown area, station, and return to station already in place. You would only need to build the coaster track part. I could easily see how they could still wind it up & over Hyena Falls and intertwine it with the Voyage. No long naming meeting here, you just bring back the Pilgrims Plunge name and you're all set to go.

No long naming meeting here, you just bring back the Pilgrims Plunge name and you're all set to go.

I'd be very surprised to see the name recycled. It didn't batter it's riders like did, but it's gone because it had reliability issues. Even if it didn't, I imagine they would want to establish a clear distinction between a project of this size and a ride that was just ripped out of the park.

^^Pareidolia, folks. Don't let your brain have too much unchecked fun.

I've come to appreciate viral marketing like this purely because it's hilarious to watch people freaking out over secret images hidden in clouds. I'd love to see some of the answers a Rorschach test would get.

Nothing like letting your brain create clues to distract your eyes from something obvious!

No long naming meeting here, you just bring back the Pilgrims Plunge name and you're all set to go.

I'd be very surprised to see the name recycled. It didn't batter it's riders like did, but it's gone because it had reliability issues. Even if it didn't, I imagine they would want to establish a clear distinction between a project of this size and a ride that was just ripped out of the park.

^+1

You're not going to see the same name used. It's not good for marketing.

I have to say on day 22... Mack (or similar) water coaster. This is my final answer for the million dollars. Everything about it makes sense. All of the clues point to it and it would be unique to the region, making it highly marketable. It fits the M.O. for HW'S love for water rides, which has worked so well for them, and it's a very family friendly attraction.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong. The concept of a Mack water coaster doesn't seem fun to me. I've also out grown wanting to be sopping wet and walking around in soggy shoes for the rest of the day. I don't like to repeat parks without any new major coaster additions so unfortunately this wouldn't be enough to bring us back to HW. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm wrong.

All of the clues thus far have been extremely open to interpretation in my opinion. I'm sure more substantive hints will be dropped as we get closer to day 66 but you could massage the clues to support just about any ride type at this point.

I think water elements may be incorporated but I'm not ready to peg the ride as this or that yet. With regard to Mack's water coaster model - aren't these rides relatively compact? Early on, it seems that Holiday World's new ride will have a decent sized footprint.