TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I've just came back from my trip in which I visited Holiday World on Monday ( June 1) and got to ride nearly everything inside the park ( some attractions I did twice). The crowds were light do to the heavy overcast in which there were some drops of rain and at some times the sun came out to play.

After sliding all four slides at Hyena Falls, I had three things to say: One, why did they place Hyena Falls so far away from the other "water"-ful attractions, what were those ground markers that I saw around Hyena Falls for, and will the old Pilgrim Plunge station be used for this upcoming attraction? I'm sure that whatever is going on it'll be another high-class attraction and it'll give Hyena Falls some company. Just go to Kentucky Kingdom and asked T2 how it feels to now be closer to the other attractions and it would say, "I feel like I'm part of the family, but if they could get me fixed up and running, then I would be so happy I'll be pooping rainbows!"

Just like that song by The Police - "Take this space between us, fill it some way" ( from the song Oh My God)

Have you guys seen this Flying Coaster on bolliger-mabillard's website?

Flying, Water, Re-Use Giraffica pit????

Looks AWESOME to me! This is less scientific analysis than you guys have been doing. I just saw the "flying" and the dip into the water and got a gut feeling.

That is Manta at Sea World Orlando

Or maybe it's just a picture of a dog?

And this is why I like you

One, why did they place Hyena Falls so far away from the other "water"-ful attractions

They were thinking ahead for future expansion Plus, they thought they would give us a little exercise after all that gravy. (Look at it this way: you can walk that far at some corporate parks just to exit a single ride.)

^ First Robb, now you! God I feel so loved in this thread! STOP it! I'm not used to this!

And this I why I like you!

^ It also spreads out the waterpark, which can become very crammed during the summer. I do believe they're going to have put another big waterpark attraction by Hyena Falls soon though. It's really not the type of attraction that people are going to want to walk all the way out there for. With it not being new this year, I suspect that it might not be as popular just for that reason. Who wants to burn their feet on the hot concrete just to walk all the way over there for three slides?

There hasn't been much talk about maybe 2 large additions, a coaster and maybe something separate for Splashin Safari. I was wondering if the pit could be used for a new wave pool. This would add more of a draw towards Hyena Falls and allow 'The Wave' to be removed to open space for a new water park attraction in the middle of Splashin Safari in a couple years. Just a little different thought that I wanted to share.

It appears as though the "pit" is being cleared and flatted in similar fashion to how Busch Gardens's did when building the show building for verbolten. I think the reason they may have said once construction get's started later this summer there will be no hiding it will be due to the fact that they usually they have the construct the track before the show building is erected around it.

bo1104rk01_001hw.jpg

That said... we could be looking at a multi- launch coaster as well. Could Mack, Intamin, or Zierer be on tap for this project? Or could we be looking at a Gerstlauer Euro Fighter with an beginning section that starts within a building

They could possibly theme the indoor show building to an underwater theme.

I think you are right with this line of thinking. The clue on Day 12 really leads me to think this way. "The skies and the sea will not always be so blue."

^ I just assumed they were talking about tunnels.

Anyway, after riding Gatekeeper for the first time yesterday, I'm on the wing coaster band wagon. However, if it is a wing coaster and uses PP's station, won't some pretty big renovations be needed to widen it and create room for lines on both sides of the track?

If it were a wing coaster, there is no way they would be able to remodel PP's station. I'd have to be a brand-new building.

I thought GateKeeper at CP was great, however I don't see Holiday World getting a B&M.

^ Yeah you're probably right. I honestly don't think they are going with a wing coaster. If it's B&M I think we will see a speed coaster. But I'd be surprised if they go with B&M at all. I think we will see a launch I really really do!

I'm thinking something similar to verbolten, especially after today's clue basically saying not all of the seasick were females and the children. It sounds like its going to be packing a powerful punch.

^^ Well to be fair, it's kinda of hard to document the trip of the pilgrims in a journal over 66 days without mentioning water a whole lot. From what I've learned about the their voyage, there wasn't a whole lot to do on the trip. In fact, it was a rather harsh trip. The pilgrims staring at the sky and water is probably historically accurate to some point. I can imagine some type of splashdown effect, or the effects that Mack has put on their coasters at Sea World. I can't imagine it being another water coaster, like the ones they already have, especially with it being put in the Thanksgiving section of the dry park.

I've seen mention to several smaller types of roller coasters being built in on here. While those would probably fit what HW needs, part of me wants to believe that HW isn't just going build some typical steel coaster with an inversion or two. They have a history of going over the top on big projects, and building stuff that brings them great publicity to the park. I think I've said this before, but I'm going to go ahead and say it again. I think this might be the worlds longest launched roller coaster. Every big project since The Voyage has broken some type of world record. The Voyage has the "most seconds of airtime on any wooden coaster." Pilgrims Plunge was the "worlds tallest water ride." Mammoth and Wildebeest are 1st and 2nd as the "worlds longest water coasters." All of these rides minus PP have garnered their fair share of awards too.

^I believe Formula Rossa is the current longest launched coaster at over 6,500ft. Word is that Helix ran around $36 million USD with a full 2,000ft less track. I know they are different manufacturers and all of that but do the math.

I don't like to unequivocally rule things out, but I really can't see a length record happening. I do agree though that the park likes to make a splash (oof) with its additions and I would not be surprised if they break some kind of record with the attraction.

Edited by LogBur

The ride will not be an Intamin ride as after HW had problems with PP/G, intamin refused to help fix the ride. I know this after HW last year I did get to talk to a few people at the park and they asked me what water ride company could remake the ride, I guess that didn't happen. With all my meeting with the late Will Kock, he did tell me of steel ride company he liked was B&M.

^^^ Honestly, I forgot about Formula Rossa when thinking of that record. I do still think there will be something special about this ride that will break some sort of record.

I've been hearing about this 36 million dollar tag on Helix also. No one knows what type of money HW is capable of spending. We know what they've spent in the past, but is that really indicative of how much they're capable of spending?

I don't think a multi-inversion, record length/speed/height steel coaster is what we're looking at here. That just doesn't fit Holiday World. If I had to put my money on it, I really am picturing a Verbolten type ride. I can easily picture a launch up into that pit where the show building would go, and then a faster launch back into the woods to interact with The Voyage.

They've mentioned recently that they're trying to put more of a focus into theming (see Wildebeestro, Safari Outpost, Candy Kitchen). It wouldn't surprise me to see them add a heavily-themed, thrilling familty coaster like Verbolten. I think it'd be a great addition to the park.

How in the world could Helix cost $36 million? Barring some extreme conversion rate in the currency, I can't see it costing $11M more than Gatekeeper, which is about the same length, but has a much higher structure (more cost for all the support beams), wider track (more steel), more expensive trains, and is by a company (B&M) not known for being a bargain manufacturer (vs. Mack). the launch technology can't be the difference in cost. I would think this has to be either an artifact of the currency conversion or the labor or import/transport costs for steel are astronomical in Sweden.

getting back to Holiday World -- I hope they keep it simple if they go with Steel. Just go for a low-to-the-ground terrain hugger with great airtime and turns, like the far end of the Voyage or the return leg of Magnum. Don't waste time with inversions or launch issues (read: maintenance nightmares). Look what Kentucky Kingdom achieved with something as simple as Lightning run. Airtime, some speed, blasting through the trees, some high speed turns, and you've a got a long-lasting crowd pleaser. You're welcome.

(I hope bridges weren't burned with Intamin because, as others mentioned, a Mega Lite, with lots of low-to-ground, terrain twists and turns a la Intamin style, would be PERFECT in my view.)

I've been hearing about this 36 million dollar tag on Helix also. No one knows what type of money HW is capable of spending. We know what they've spent in the past, but is that really indicative of how much they're capable of spending?

This is a fair point. I don't pretend to have a detailed grasp on the park's financials, I'm only trying to rein in expectations. At the end of the day, I hope they spend more than my logic tells me...

How in the world could Helix cost $36 million? Barring some extreme conversion rate in the currency, I can't see it costing $11M more than Gatekeeper, which is about the same length, but has a much higher structure (more cost for all the support beams), wider track (more steel), more expensive trains, and is by a company (B&M) not known for being a bargain manufacturer (vs. Mack). the launch technology can't be the difference in cost. I would think this has to be either an artifact of the currency conversion or the labor or import/transport costs for steel are astronomical in Sweden.

I saw the $36MM figure on wikipedia and elsewhere but a quick trip to Liseberg's Helix site shows the investment was 200,000,000 Swedish Krona which translates to ~$30.18MM USD. I agree, even this figure seems high given the ride's specs - it would seem Mack might not be a budget-friendly manufacturer after all.

I feel like it will be similar to Verbolten as well. I feel like you will depart on your voyage and it will be nice and calm. Then a raging storm comes along and you're launched into a building with effects that make it feel like you're in the middle of it. It could have a drop effect but then you'll be launched out and the finale will have a water effect of some kind.

I think we'll in a sense be getting a Verbolten with faster launches and inversions. I also doubt a drop track. I also expect high theming with this. And also I suspect that this expansion isn't just a coaster, but also a big ole expansion with other rides and attractions too.