TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm afraid of heights; lifts and drops are the scariest parts of the ride for me, and I thought this ride was disappointing. It was in desperate need of some landscaping and trees. The elevator was scary, but the drop was underwhelming. It looked too scary for kids, but wasn't very thrilling for most people. I agree with everyone that it wasn't a great fit/ use of the technology. I'm sad to see it go, but it certainly wont kill the park. I hope they put more water slides in its place. KY kingdom's water park expansion is going to be some pretty stiff competition in that department.

I'm not sure if it's been said before, but I would not be surprised if we saw PP/Giraffica show up at another park sometime soon. The ride itself is still relatively new without too much wear I'd imagine and also the fact most of the ride was through a concrete chute, it would probably be realtively easy for a park to buy the lift/drop and all the other hardware and possibly build a whole new layout to fit.

What is Holiday Worlds height restriction?

Oh and a while back, someone posted on HW's page saying all they added was water rides and they need a good coaster like the beast.

They replied and said he would be very happy with the dry ride side of the park within the next couple years. But at that time Girrafica was not going to be removed, we'll see what happens

I'm not sure if it's been said before, but I would not be surprised if we saw PP/Giraffica show up at another park sometime soon. The ride itself is still relatively new without too much wear I'd imagine and also the fact most of the ride was through a concrete chute, it would probably be realtively easy for a park to buy the lift/drop and all the other hardware and possibly build a whole new layout to fit.

Wouldn't it be funny if Dan Koch got it for Alabama/Splash Adventure?

^ As far as I know, the town of Santa Claus has only griped about how much water HW uses during the summer and that's when they only have a severe drought. I don't think the town is going to gripe about a tall structure, but if it's really close to the state highway, then the state might have an issue.

I don't there has been a picture of the actual swinging ship for The Mayflower posted on here. It looks great!

Bl0_HjnCAAIWKad.jpg

^ As far as I know, the town of Santa Claus has only griped about how much water HW uses during the summer and that's when they only have a severe drought.

Wait, a town that's right by the Ohio River and has a ton of lakes gets droughts that are that damaging? I'm not exactly an expert, but I'm having trouble seeing how this works out.

^ I get the Texas, Georgia, Western States Drought problems, etc.,but Indiana? lol

While the 2012 drought was no where near as severe as your guys' droughts, it was still pretty bad for the Midwest area. We went several hot weeks (highs of 95 deg.+) without any precipitation of any kind. They actually had to shut down Pilgrims Plunge for a few weeks to reduce the amount of water HW used.

image.jpg.7ebfca88d1fdc03b851ae2cfd946d7a5.jpg

The boot of Southern Indiana managed to slip in there.

Wait, a town that's right by the Ohio River and has a ton of lakes gets droughts that are that damaging? I'm not exactly an expert, but I'm having trouble seeing how this works out.

I didn't say they had a drought every year. When they do, that water from the Ohio and those lakes you mentioned go straight to those famous corn fields that surround Holiday World and most of Southern Indiana for irrigation. But if we wanna be more specific, Holiday World has their own water towers. Two of them to be exact. One of them holds over 500,000 gallons of water. If I remember correctly, the waterpark uses all of that water and that water tower has to be refilled everyday that the waterpark is open. When you add a drought and 2,000 people who are also using water everyday, it becomes a little hard to replenish all of that water fast enough to meet the demand. Most of the time, Holiday World will voluntarily shut down a ride that uses a lot water to help conserve it. They did so two years ago with Pilgrims Plunge when didn't rain in this area for what seemed like 3 months.

^ We have one water tower (the yellow one - easy to miss, I know). I think you've got the information a bit out of order, sorry. The flap was when the town was changing water systems - a new water source was needed (even if you factored the park out of the equation) and there was some resistance.