TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ They could go with Chance. They do have a working relationship with the company, seeing that they just purchased their swinging ship off off of Chance. It could be one of those things where they outdo Kentucky Kingdom and build a bigger and better ride.

I don't think Holiday World is looking to outdo anyone. They have never done this before with Kentucky Kingdom, but if they do... right now with Ed Hart in charge, them trying to out due Kentucky Kingdom is like suicide imo.

The big drop was fun, and the ride up the elevator lift was a bit unnerving. It's the sort of ride system that begs for some sort of dark-ride section before you reach the lift (perhaps a "storm").

I honestly really liked Pilgrim's Plunge, but I always thought it was not quite the right fit for Holiday World. I would be curious to know if it will end up at another park, but I'm also not a big enough fanboy of it that I'd miss it terribly if it didn't. I sorta think your typical, normal "splash down boat" aka SKLOOSH would have fared a lot better here.

Oh, well, hopefully whatever replaces it will be a hit!

To all of you, "They'll just make more water rides because that's all Holiday World does now" type of people, in the Mayflower's announcement video, they hinted at basically starting in 2014, we're turning our focus back to Thanksgiving. They were very blatant about it. I'm not gonna speculate, but that's all I'm going to say.

I mentioned this earlier, but I still have this hunch that Voyage will become steel (or like Outlaw run) with an inversion or two and some sort of newer steel coaster will be built in the distant future with a launch like Sky Rocket and a 48" height restriction ... Intamin can still do that.

Of course, the park will still have a great relationship with Gravity group because they will maintain Legend and Raven, and who knows, perhaps they have their own "Rocky Mountain" design up their sleeves as well. Gotta love the free marketplace.

Just a thought, don't take my words as Gospel.

I don't think Holiday World is looking to outdo anyone. They have never done this before with Kentucky Kingdom, but if they do... right now with Ed Hart in charge, them trying to out due Kentucky Kingdom is like suicide imo.

Well that's the only thing they really can do if they go with a similar coaster to Lightning Run by Chance. It has to be better. You can't build an attraction that is the same as the one 3 hours away. You have to build something that will make those people want to drive three hours to your park and ride it. I'm not saying that they need to answer Kentucky Kingdom. As long as Holiday World has the Waterpark, they're going to draw over a million people a season. There really is no reason to compete.

I mentioned this earlier, but I still have this hunch that Voyage will become steel (or like Outlaw run) with an inversion or two and some sort of newer steel coaster will be built in the distant future with a launch like Sky Rocket and a 48" height restriction ... Intamin can still do that.

Of course, the park will still have a great relationship with Gravity group because they will maintain Legend and Raven, and who knows, perhaps they have their own "Rocky Mountain" design up their sleeves as well. Gotta love the free marketplace.

Just a thought, don't take my words as Gospel.

The park maintains their own roller coasters. I'm pretty sure any working relationship with the Gravity Group is now over after the Timberliner fiasco. The Voyage will never switch to steel for two reasons IMO. One, they just did a lot of major track work this season where they replaced a lot of wood. They seem committed to doing this every season now. Two, the layout will never allow it to happen. If they go steel, more than likely, they will have to use polyurethane wheels. They use less friction and given the length of the Voyage, the train will never make back to the station.

I sorta think your typical, normal "splash down boat" aka SKLOOSH would have fared a lot better here.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this is what replaced the ride. They already have a splash down area and station built. They would just have to find a company that could work with what they already have built. Something like a Mack Super Splash where they could do little bit of theming would be a nice replacement.

Not really shocked actually. As Robb said, I don't think this ride was ever right for Holiday World.

Lance at Screamscape is speculating about the Cedar Point accident having something to do with the decision, which I just think is ridiculous, the rides are not even similar in terms of the safety system.

The main problem for this ride is that it was never optimal for a splash down ride, due to the smaller boats. Divertical is a much, much better ride, and is a perfect example on what this system should be used for. Unfortunately someone had to buy the splash down prototype, in order for the Divertical ride to be developed, and that was Holiday World.

Also I don't think they will scrap it, they should be able to find a buyer for it. Maybe they already have, as the new Ankapark opening in Turkey is speculated to have this type of splash down ride?

^And because of people like that, we still have rides like this:

539633_380383295420642_2065938246_n.jpg

Sometimes, things can happen. It's not like people are threatening or talking down to the park. Also, this one is a favorite among fans:

There is nothing wrong with stating you would like a ride to be saved, etc. If you like something, let them know. If you don't like something, let them know. It's not telling the park what they should or shouldn't do, it's telling them that you love something and would like it to stay. It's good that people use words and communication to say how they feel. More people should do that. In a polite way, of course.

Personally, I'm neutral on PP/Giraffica leaving. It was fun for a ride once a visit, but not much more. That lift was creepy (good creepy).

Well I guess sometimes it does work, but overall parks will tend to stick to their ideas. For rides like Whizzer it worked, but in other cases like Big Bad Wolf and more recently Rolling Thunder it was less successful. Giraffica was not a big ride (popularity wise) and a lot of people don't really mind it's removal.

I rode Pilgrim's Plunge a couple of times when I visited Holiday World in 2010 and enjoyed it. Was unique (at the time) and made a shance to a standard shoot the chute type ride. Even though the lift wasn't terribly scary and just a different way of getting to the top, the long drawn out shallow drop was really enjoyable. I also loved the fact that Holiday World allowed people from the theme park and Splashin' Safari to both be able to experience it.

It's a shame it's going, but it now gives them the opportunity to build something better,

Lance at Screamscape is speculating about the Cedar Point accident having something to do with the decision, which I just think is ridiculous, the rides are not even similar in terms of the safety system.

From my understanding, the sensors on the ride were very sensitive and caused the ride to shut down frequently for no reason. Most of the time, it took the mechanics over half a day to get the ride back up and running. I don't think the Cedar Point accident had anything to do with them removing the ride. They shut the ride down a week before the Cedar Point accident happened last season, so Intamin could try and find a way to improve the reliability of the ride.

a lot of people don't really mind it's removal.

While this is probably true, it won't stop the GP from asking what happened to the ride. It's kinda hard not to notice it missing. How many people from the GP actually read the Holiblog? I think the park should get ahead of the storm and post a couple of pictures of the ride being removed on Twitter and Facebook, so they don't have to answer a million questions this summer. Is this gonna stop people from asking? No, but it would probably help IMO. It also might help if they go ahead and hint toward a replacement, so their isn't so much of a negative vibe around the news.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

It seems to me like this was a last-minute decision to remove Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica. Below is a snippet from a 2014 Park Map (made apparent by Mayflower) that I received with my Club TPR membership. So they had already printed maps with the ride on it for this year.

HW.PNG.b10ecb83c6074b8e5f2b3bab62a84b21.PNG

2014 Park Map

It seems to me like this was a last-minute decision to remove Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica. Below is a snippet from a 2014 Park Map (made apparent by Mayflower) that I received with my Club TPR membership. So they had already printed maps with the ride on it for this year.

The kiddie bumper boats aren't being shown as well.

Many years ago, a park called "Kings Dominion" decided to get rid of their Shoot the Chutes ride they called "White Diamond Falls", a move that stunned plenty of riders and amusement park flyers. We haven't had another park get rid of their Shoot the Chutes ride since then.

Then Holiday World announced that they were removing Giraffica, and even more riders and amusement park flyers are stunned.

I should be, but I rode that ride two years ago and although it was thrilling, I didn't get the water soaking I was hoping to get. And I was dressed to get wet and all I got was just a few sprinkles.

I'm sure that Holiday World will put something better in its place just like Kings Dominion put in the Backlot Stunt Coaster in the old White Diamond Falls site. Tis a pity they won't be putting it in this season. So I'll settle with the Mayflower, the Mammoth, the Voyager, and the Rough Riders; and I'll try not to get upset about it.

^Actually, since 2002, when Diamond Falls closed at Kings Dominion a few parks have gotten rid of the shoot the chutes attractions. SFNE, SFGAm, Knotts... I can't blame them either. The rides just go up a hill, turn, and come back down, turn, the end... Besides, since combined water parks have become so popular, especially at Holiday World, these kind of rides aren't needed as much. And the chutes rides take up a lot of space.