TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^No... I think Mind Bender will be at SFOG for a very long time. I'm sure Holiday World would want a brand new ride. I was using those coasters because they are great rides, most of the family can ride/not too intense. They also have personality, uniqueness and that sort of thing.

I still say the best type of coaster for HW would be an intermediate size coaster. I have 2 young boys that are 12 & 11 who want to love coasters but are still wary of them. We go to the park and they've out grown the little coaster and they don't feel ready for Raven let alone Legend or Voyage yet. I think a coaster kind of like the beastie (sorry I only remember the name from when I was their age not the new name). It would be a good next step up for a park that prides itself being a family park. A good coaster that children could ride as they get older to transition from the kiddie coasters to the full size coasters.

I still say the best type of coaster for HW would be an intermediate size coaster. I have 2 young boys that are 12 & 11 who want to love coasters but are still wary of them. We go to the park and they've out grown the little coaster and they don't feel ready for Raven let alone Legend or Voyage yet. I think a coaster kind of like the beastie (sorry I only remember the name from when I was their age not the new name). It would be a good next step up for a park that prides itself being a family park. A good coaster that children could ride as they get older to transition from the kiddie coasters to the full size coasters.

In that case a Wooden Warrior type coaster would fit the bill for you. Thrills for all and not intimidating.

Edited by larrygator

Sad to see this ride go. I would have liked to have seen it in person. Makes you wonder if Mirabilandia is having similar issues with DiVertical. With how aggressive Holiday World has been in expanding Splashin' Safari I only see new water park expansion in this spot.

This may not be the end of Giraffica as I wouldn't be surprised to see other parks interested. It is only 5 years old now and could be highly profitable despite the lift issues.

Would it be weird to think Splash Adventures might acquire it? A Major thrill ride at a discount cost that is easily marketable.

When The Bat ($3 Million) closed due to the problems at kings Island, they got Vortex for $7 Million, but were credited about $3 million of that, so that helped the relationship with Arrow (so $4 Million for Vortex). Let's see if this is a similar-type deal and they get something from Intamin at a fraction of the cost in the near future. Not sure if that will happen, but history has repeated before.

Well, I can't say I was surprised by this move. Hopefully the replacement ends up not being a water ride/slide. Here's my two cents/rant about this ride:

The ride always felt like an awkward addition IMO in Holiday World's line up. Not only is it the first thing you see coming down on 162. Its sheer size was intimidating to the family friendly audience. Not only that, but even if it was being catered to the more "extreme" (using this term lightly in HW's case), the actual experience itself was a letdown. The concrete trough beginning with absolutely no scenery or landscaping was pretty boring to start off with (it could have used water geysers like the ones at the end, faux rocks, flowers, or ANYTHING). Then, we the actual elevator, which was what made the ride unique and special even after DiVertical. It was nerve-racking the first time you got on it, although after a few rides, it turned into a meh experience. The drop was alright, though it was very gradual so it just slowly gained speed. Finally, the splash. As stated above, the splash was originally announced to be 45 feet high and 90 feet wide. In reality, it just skidded across the water until it abruptly sank lower to actually slow down the ride. If you weren't in the front row, there was a good chance you could have hit the back of the seat in front of you. And the resulting splash was not as wet as people would have wanted if it were a particularly hot summer day. After the splashdown, the ride maneuvers in a typical shoot-the-chutes manner and features and couple water geysers to get you wet. Overall, the experience was just not what I wished it could have been. The elevator was a novelty, but the rest of the ride was disappointing. I know I'm a snobby coaster enthusiasts, but understand that a few people loved this ride. I have ridden this ride every season despite the frequent downtime and it never grew on me.

As for the replacement, I am really wanting the park to revert this area back to Thanksgiving instead of yet another water slide. I am also really hoping the park sticks to a new family coaster that is much more intense that the Howler, but is about on par with the intensity Raven. Since the park is removing an Intamin, I see it doubtful for an Intamin mega-lite to see the light of day here. However, a Mack mega-lite like The Storm seems like a great alternative to Intamin. But it really is up in the air on what will happen in the near future. If I recall from an article or video a while ago, the park mentioned something about capitalizing and shifting main focus back to Holiday World. I am very excited about what is in store!

When The Bat ($3 Million) closed due to the problems at kings Island, they got Vortex for $7 Million, but were credited about $3 million of that, so that helped the relationship with Arrow (so $4 Million for Vortex). Let's see if this is a similar-type deal and they get something from Intamin at a fraction of the cost in the near future. Not sure if that will happen, but history has repeated before.

Intamin mega-lite anyone?

Intamin mega-lite anyone?

I like this thinking(a man can dream can't he).

^My coaster nerd self would like a retro, Schwarzkopf-inspired looper from Gerstlauer. They work out of the old Schwarzkopf factory and rumor is they have all the old plans. Plus, they build new retro trains (sooperdooperLooper). Think about how perfect those Anton rides are ... comfy, but you still get air/lateral time; low height requirement (42" - perfect for Holiday World!), not intense (except for a split second here and there), family friendly, coaster nerd friendly, etc.

A few years ago, rumor was they park wanted a looping steel coaster in the future, with 3 requirements:

(1) has a launch

(2) lap bar only restraints

(3) low height requirement

Maybe Gerstlauer can supply a nice fresh one of these:

c17a84315cd1285edefb545af04c2590.jpg

A few years ago, rumor was they park wanted a looping steel coaster in the future, with 3 requirements:

(1) has a launch

Premier, Gerstlauer, Zierer, and possibly Mack could do this. I hope for a Mack!

I could also see them go for those Chance hyperlites like Lightning Run at KK. It could work well here too.

(1) has a launch

Premier, Gerstlauer, Zierer, and possibly Mack could do this. I hope for a Mack!

I could also see them go for those Chance hyperlites like Lightning Run at KK. It could work well here too.

Given that Kentucky Kingdom is fairly close to Holiday World, I don't know if a Chance HyperLite would be the best choice.

I'm with GayCoasterGuy on this one. If Holiday World could get Gerstlauer to build a classic Schwarzkopf-style looper like Mind Bender or Shockwave, I might just explode with happiness.

^ They could go with Chance. They do have a working relationship with the company, seeing that they just purchased their swinging ship off off of Chance. It could be one of those things where they outdo Kentucky Kingdom and build a bigger and better ride.

Here's my guess for their next steel coaster. It's going to have several launches, it's going to have a ton of air time,it will go upside down, and it will set some type of record. With that in mind, it'll probably be a Mack. This is just how Holiday World rolls when they add a major attraction. It's always something that sets a world record and allows them to get great publicity from it.